Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, provided you actually stop when you're supposed to, what do you guys think are the best things to do to minimize your losses?

·
Registered
180 Posts
First, signal your intention to pull over (unless you are going to pull a runner!)

Take off your helmet...shut the bike off.
Lot's of Yessir/Nossir type responses...

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. Signal and pull over to the right as soon as possible.
2. Shut the bike off.
3. Keep your hands where the officer can see them.
4. If you have to dig under your leathers or under the back seat, let the officer know before you do it.
5. BE POLITE !! BE POLITE !! BE POLITE !! (The quickest way to talk your way into a ticket is to be rude or argue. Telling the officer that he is wrong about how fast your were going is a sure way to get a ticket. What you're saying by that is: "you're stupid and don't know how to do your job" Also trying to argue points of the law with him is STUPID. Unless you're a lawyer, chances are the officer knows the law much much better than you do. Cops are human too....pissing them off makes them angry and they take that anger out on you by writing you a BIG ticket with every tiny little charge they can find. See that Yosh pipe you have there? Guess what....in many states that's illegal. Being a rude prick or agueing with the officer might get you written for that minor offense. Another fact for ya....just because the cycle shop sold it to you doesn't mean it's legal for street use...so don't bother arguing with him about that either. I know I'm ranting here.....but this is sage advice. BE POLITE !!
6. BE POLITE !!
7. If you do get written....always, always, always go to court and fight it. The worst the judge will do to you is make you pay the original ticket. On the other hand, you might get it reduced or thrown out. You've got nothing to lose by going to court and making a plea on to the mercy of the court. If you go to court....for god's sake....be polite, dress up and stick to the facts. Argue about the traffic infraction....not about things that don't matter to what YOU did. Don't argue that the officer was rude or the officer was speeding and I was only following him as fast as he was going. That doesn't make you innocent of speeding yourself. Don't try to argue that other cars around you were going just as fast, therefore you should get off. Think about it....."Yes, I murdered that person...but three other people murdered people that same night so it's ok"
8. it bears repeating....BE POLITE.

Here endeth the lesson. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pull over, turn the engine off, remove helmet and say yes officer im sorry I was going a little too quick when asked do you realise you were speeding... That normally works......

·
Registered
289 Posts
My best friend is a cop. He says that most of the cops on the Force where he's at have basically the same attitude. He says they'll pull someone over for going 75 in a 65 or something like that, with the intentions of letting the person off with a warning unless they develop an attitude. Don't start making excuses or telling BS stories. He says they let more people off that just say "Yes Sir, Sorry Sir" than people that say, "I just put a new exhaust system on and I wanted to see if the bike would run right" or "I'm late for work" because BS like that, he says, just makes them think that you're the type of person that's probably late for work everytime so they're gonna ticket you while they got you incase they don't see you again. So I would say just keep quite and only speak when spoken to....short, sweet, simple.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I got a written warning in Arizona from a cop named "Ace".
At least that's what the front plate on his car said, it was written over crossed pistols, scary, so I was nice to him.
He let me off because he didn't know what KMH was!!!
I told him you multiply MPH X 2 to arrive at KMH! He didn't really think so but he didn't have an answer, thus the warning.

At the time I was driving on the superslab and for the first time people were being real "nice" and pulling over to let me by, at least I thought so, until I passed ACE.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
190 Posts
LOL!

Amber.......

"Thank you"???? LOL! Why not go for, "Thank you, sir! May I have another?!" (Just playin'..)

Actually, I pulled a good one myself. My last almost-ticket-experience was on the MO/AR state line at 11:30 on a Friday night. My sister and I were enroute to Biloxi, MS for St. Patty's day, and had planned to stop in Jonesboro, AR for the night. I'm cruising south at around 65 in a 55, about 3 miles past a local bar. Busted! The cop pulls me over. My sis was digging the proof of insurance and registration from the glovebox before the cop got to my vehicle. Glaring flashlight in hand, he walks up and says, "You know you were going over the speed limit back there?" I said, "Was I really? Are you sure?". That must've ticked him off, because then he said, "I can show you on paper, if you'd like. Are you sure you want me to do that?" I said, "Oh, no, sir, that's ok. I believe you." Next he checks out my license, proof of insurance card (which expired the last day of Feb, and I hadn't put the new card in the truck yet - dammit!), and registration. He looks at the insurance card and says, "Your insurance has expired. But I'll tell you what. If I don't ask for it, you don't have to produce it. So I never saw that. What's your hurry, anyway?" I wanted to say: "It's f**g late, this is a BORRRING road, and I want want to get to Jonesboro TONIGHT!", but instead I told him where we were going, and our final destination. He looked at me, then looked at my sis, and said, "I'm going to give you a warning. Slow it down." WHEW!! I could have gotten a double whammy on that one. But, you can bet I told him respectfully and politely, "Thank you, Officer."

His name wasn't Joe Friday. I don't recall what it was. Who cares? My sis got busted by Officer Jolly for 76 in a 55, though! LOL!

B

·
0 Posts
i got pull over for doing 65 in a 45 in my car and the cop let me off and told me to slow it down. plus i got pulled over on my bike for weaving through the traffic and let me off. plus a friend saw me and said it looked like i was just shooting the sh*t with the cop which i was . so if u are polite u usually get just a warning.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man I wish I'd have gotten warnings. Both my speeding tickets I've gotten the cop didn't even seem remotely interested in me. Just License and registration, mumbles i was 74 in a 55 as he's already halfway back to his car and then just returns with the ticket and says cya.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Overhere in the UK if your caught doing 30mph over the speed limit ie 60 in a 30, 80 in a 50 or 100 in a 70 it's an automatic ban no questions asked, What about over there in the States ?????

·
Registered
205 Posts
Should just say....

"Well, you see officer, your mom called me up to tell me she was horny so I was just trying to get to her place while she was still in the mood."

·
Registered
463 Posts
Right after they finished a new freeway overpass near the house, the red lights were screwed up and it would take forever to get through it. One morning I was there all by myself and got tired of waiting. Looked around real good and went on through the red. Didn't look around good enough obviously, and got pulled over about a half mile down the road. Well some days are diamonds...

Anyway, I've got my driver's license out and I'm sitting there in my car and the Savannah cop walks to my door and asks for my DL and proof of insurance. :eek:

Uh oh. The proof of insurance is in the glove box.... laying right under my .38 pistol .

So I'm sitting there with my DL in one hand, smiling at the cop like I'm in love with him or something :D , but sort of stuck. I don't want to get blown away "reaching for a gun", and I didn't have a concealed carry permit yet so I didn't want to show the pistol either. But the clock is ticking and this guy isn't going away.

I look at the glove box.

Then I smile back at him. :D Tic, tic, tic.....

Finally, I give up and say, "Look, Officer, I've got a thirty-eight in the glove box... laying smack on top of my insurance packet."

He just says, "Well, don't get it out." :cool:

He gave me a warning on the light, but would you believe, the damn insurance card was expired. The correct one was in a folder at home :mad: . Got a ticket on that, which was deleted in court when I brought the right card.

Man. You gotta love living in the South.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts