Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am breaking down to buy a tankbag for some longer trips. I would like to get some recommendations or "bags to avoid" advice from everyone. I am leaning to magnetic bags, but will go with whatever.

Thanks.

Bob

BTW I am on a ZX-7R

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got Joe Rockets "Multi Tank Bag". It has two bags that zip together (not so good for shorter riders though). Has a magnet base which holds it firmly in place. The magnet zips off to reveal a water proof cover and shoulder straps so the bag can be used as a backpack. I'm very happy with it. Has just enough room to hold everything necessary for a weekend getaway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been looking at this bag called Rocket Locker it locks on in place of your rear seat so it is locked for one and it is not in the way on the tank. just my .02

·
Registered
698 Posts
I currently use TourMaster's Mini-Magnetic Cortech Tankbag. As it's name implies, it's designed for daylong or shorter trips. However, it is expandable to accept 40% more of its original capacity. Things I like about it are: Strong magnets that make security straps unnecessary; Magnetic Shielding to prevent destruction of credit cards and the like; Various little pockets on the inside of the zippered cover to hold small items--even a pocket for a magazine & pockets for pens; clear map pocket on top. It comes with a raincover.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
as long as we are one the subject of bags can anyone one recommend a good tail bag? i don't have one but it seems a tank bag would heavily restrict movement when riding. i like to move around a bit when i ride. or am i all wrong?

·
Registered
698 Posts
My current Tailbag is TourMaster's Cortech Deluxe Tailbag/Dufflebag. One of the best I've used so far. Things I like about it: Swallows a lot of stuff without looking like a skyscraper; Has 2 side pockets for big stuff you wish to seperate; Has 2 smaller outside pockets for small stuff; Has an internal pocket behind the zippered Cover; Comes with a Rain Cover & shoulder strap. Overall, it's a very high quality piece with lots of well thought out features. TM always advertises that their products are designed by riders. This bag bears that out.

Check their bags out here: http://tourmaster.com/luggage_bags.html#

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nappyboy said:
as long as we are one the subject of bags can anyone one recommend a good tail bag? i don't have one but it seems a tank bag would heavily restrict movement when riding. i like to move around a bit when i ride. or am i all wrong?
Check out the post above about the Rocket Locker (www.rocketlocker.com).

Seems like the way to go.

Bob

·
Registered
129 Posts
I now have an RKA magnitic bag. Works great, best part lifetime warranty. I had a Tour Master and the zippers started to fall apart, and after 1 year, no warranty. My moneys on the RKA even though a little bit more.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Good one

I have the exact same bag as RogueBiker. I didnt know it had the magnet block, but once I had my wallet in the main compartment and I freaked when I realized it, but nothing got deactivated. hmm, cool

The only problem Ive had with it is keeping the bottom clean, this is a must with all tank bags though. I finally started putting a piece of T-Shirt between the tank and bag.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Good one

I have the exact same bag as RogueBiker. I didnt know it had the magnet block, but once I had my wallet in the main compartment and I freaked when I realized it, but nothing got deactivated. hmm, cool. Also, the reflective stipes on the side are VERY noticeable, cool too.

The only problem Ive had with it is keeping the bottom clean, this is a must with all tank bags though. I finally started putting a piece of T-Shirt between the tank and bag.

·
Registered
698 Posts
748 abuser said:
For some reason, I can't get the magnetic tankbags to stay on.:confused:

Any suggestions?
It's important that your tank bank be able to conform to the shape of your tank to ensure a good, no slip fit. Most SB's have a large flat area on top of their tanks. From memory, I know the 748 has an extremely small area on top of the tank for most ordinary tank bags to fit. Thus, you're stuck with fitting a small, soft bag on there. Even the tank bag I mentioned above (TM Mini-Magnetic) probably won't work on your 748. You're best bet is a set of Sportbike style saddlebags offered by TM or Chase Harper's Stealth saddlebags. However, if your 748 is a monoposto, you're f___ed!! :)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Rogue_Biker said:
It's important that your tank bank be able to conform to the shape of your tank to ensure a good, no slip fit. Most SB's have a large flat area on top of their tanks. From memory, I know the 748 has an extremely small area on top of the tank for most ordinary tank bags to fit. Thus, you're stuck with fitting a small, soft bag on there. Even the tank bag I mentioned above (TM Mini-Magnetic) probably won't work on your 748. You're best bet is a set of Sportbike style saddlebags offered by TM or Chase Harper's Stealth saddlebags. However, if your 748 is a monoposto, you're f___ed!! :)
Thanks for the book, rogue!

I suppose having a carbon fiber tank doesn't help much either?:D:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I highly recommend RKA. I have an RKA small magnetic tank bag. It is very versital and expands to be large enough for a weekend if you pack lightly.

For a tail pack I have an Eclispe that I like as well. It came with a rain cover, something I don't have the RKA. I also have Eclispe tank bag that works well except that the rubber strap that goes around the steering head wears out.

Rick
NCVFR

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Congrats Paul! You win a limited edition leather-bound copy of Rogue's memoirs. You will start receiving it in 300-page installments. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts