Votes: 2 1.0%
  • YAMAHA FJR1300

Votes: 40 20.1%

• Total voters
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I used to ride a ZZR-250 130km (80 miles) to work and back, along a highway. It'd sit on 110km/h (about 70mph) and it never failed to keep up with traffic. It'd overtake anything easily too. I topped it out one day at 160km/h. Not bad for a 40hp bike!

The downside was the bike ran at 8000rpm at 110km/h. The redline was 14000rpm. I went up one tooth on the front, which brought the rev's down slightly, but it was still pushing things hard.

Now, granted, that's not a 500 mile touring trip. I think a 600cc would be a minimum for something like that.

BTW, I voted for the ZZR 1100 (ZX-11) - see avatar. I hate what they've done to the front end of the ZZR 1200. It looks like a praying mantis, as a lot of new sportsbikes do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
best sport tourer

The VFR800 has been voted the best street bike in the world on a number of occasions. It will go all day long, day after day. Mine loves to cruise abot 95-100 mph all day. I live 30 minutes from the dragon at deals gap and the VFR handles the twisties very well also. I have a Corbin seat and hard bags. Honda also makes a trunk that will hold two full face helmets. The VFR is a technological masterpiece.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sprint ST1050

....most major, mainland publications are pitting the VFR and the Sprint in a dead heat for ST of the year.......most Euro mags already have the Triumph as a shoo in!?! A little biased.....maybe? Me too! I am saddling one up as soon as I get back to the good'ole USA!! Ride safe!

·
Registered
76 Posts
best S/Tourer

Guys,
This is a very old thread now and not out od order at all and some boards seperate by light weight,heavyweight......bmw abound , one fellow threw into the mix ZX6R's....Why cant a person sport/tour on what ever they like? Now my old TL1000
with a sol seat is not even a contender at all....but one with the rear seat intace and a set of saddle bags,tail bag and a tank bag should be ok for a trip....as I recall a long time TL owner took his 97 to Daytona in 98 from some Northern state and did well....
I even though am mounted to the heavier Honda ST1300 think this thing could be more a state of mind than state of vehicle.
I had signed to another board a fewe years ago that had a page where rides could be posted and discussed.....one came to mind of three friends one on a KLR and one a bandit and the other a CBR....I think....well from sopme where in like Alabama to Deals gap they went.....Were they Sport/Touring? I would like to think so....I am post Daytona by a few weeks now and I rode my ST1300 to trailer week....and from now on and unless the wife goes with me I WILL RIDE DOWN! From Eastern N.C. to DDaytona on 2 1/2 tanks...ya'll heard me? Thats less than 20 gallons of gas
Even though the ST is a bit heavy it did well on the highway,and does well in the outback,til the going gets up to .7 riding...you know what I mean.....No it dont turn like a GSXR or a CBR butup to a point the ST does well.....and if the fellows from Jersey I was riding back with check out this board.....wasn't that nice trooper from Georgia a nice fellow? clocked our collective butts at almost 90 on I-95 in one of the most notorious counties in the South and let us go! Is this a great country or what......OK I've said enough for a while back to the side lines I go......Sport touring til we run out of gas!

Rodm850g

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
and it dont hurt yer arms and yer ass....

least not as much....;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
it hurt mine.....

...my buddies and I take an annual 1700 miler from Lexington to the Gap, then up the Blueridge to the Shenedoah Valley. I have a full set of luggage (Joe Rocket Velocity) for my old TL and after last years trip I started looking at the ST market. I couldn't hardly stand up straight for two days but it is always a blast!

61 - 70 of 70 Posts