Votes: 24 10.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WHO WHO WHO???

Consider factors other than, but not excluded to, performance and sound, such as:

Web site content, ease of installation, durability, customer support, etc...

This list should cover all the big guns, but if I forgot one, or if you know a company ( or a pro-shop ) that has some tight products, drop a message

--And, if you pick 'other', at least post the company name.

Thanks,
Dan

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
I don't know if warranty is an issue with you since your bike is new, but my Honda dealer told me that Jardines were the only Honda approved ones, so if you put something else on and then need some warranty work done you have to put the original stuff back on before you take it in. The Jardines you didn't have to because they were Honda approved.

·
Registered
530 Posts
TRUE! :thumb:

JARDINE is the ONLY FACTORY SUPPORTED aftermarket exhaust. Jimmy Jardine, ONE HELL OF A GUY, travels w/ the HONDA AMA SUPERBIKE TEAM to do his magic!

AKRAPOVIC is a great exhaust............BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR HONDA!

AS YOU GUYS SAY............"RIDE RED"?

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
You guys really need to quit... ROFL

1. There is no "Honda approved exhaust" so your dealer is full of shit.

2. They will not void your warranty because you have aftermarket parts on it therefore it is not neccessary to put your stock parts back on.

3. All last year Jardines sucked so bad that the AMA Superbikes used Akrapovic exhausts & applied Jardine stickers to the cannisters (Note: this is not a rumor it is a fact)

4. You all need to realize that there are alot more brands out there that are so far above the quality of the brands you listed here. but are not well known due to the masses of uninformed motorcyclists

Due yourselves a favor & read the following thread start to finish, don't just skim it & you will find all kinds of true & applicable information to the topic here as well as perfect examples of my previous paragraph. it really is worth the time it takes to read it thoroughly

http://www.sportbikeworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=23895

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
Just for clarification I am not dogging on Jardines, I think they are actually a decent exhaust, but I did want to point out that they were not up to the quality standards needed to be ran in AMA Superbike & wanted to bring to light the premise of paying sponsors & how it affects marketability...

The AMA superbikes this year are indeed running true Jardine exhausts built to HRC specs.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Thanks for the info....I haven't had a chance to read that thread but I am on my way there as soon as I can.

I'll be the first to admit I am WAY underinformed about aftermarket anything. However, if I go into a Honda dealership and they pull out a Honda catalog and tell me that X product is the only thing I can use without voiding my warranty, I tend to believe them. I'm not discounting LDH's information...don't get me wrong, it just raises a question. Why would a dealership tell me there are only certain approved products if there is no such thing? Is it because those certain products are the only ones that dealer carries, and they are just trying to make sure I get it through them? Just curious....when I go to get my new bike I will have to inquire about that a little further. Again, thanks for the info LDH!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i think lord brings up some interesting points, the ama factory boys aren't running the pipes we buy. i remember seeing miguel titanium yoshimura on his 600 in 96. the problem was, yosh didn't have said pipe in their catalog at the time. and i think it was a 4-1 pipe has well. it's been years since yosh made a 4-1 pipe that wasn't a duplex.

but when looking for a pipe for a street bike, the important factors (imo) are build quality, fit, sound and appearance (this is why akra's are so popular). of course price is important, which is where akra loses. performance gains don't really mean a lot other than bragging to your friends. ditto the weight. you can save more weight by running your tank on half full than you will from a heavy a/f exhaust to the lightest. actually most stock pipes aren't that much heavier

for racing, they should be crashable with good construction.

personal favorite are muzzy's, leo vince, m4 and hindle. why, they are all mid-tier in cost, they all crash well and all but one fits well (i'll let the kawi riders tell you which one doesn't).

as for why a dealer says x, it's because a lot of dealers are really uninformed. why wouldn't akra be okay? colin edwards uses one. the wss team uses laser exhaust.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeez!

Oh LordDuckHunter - so knowing, yet so angry. Thanks for that link! Gained some much needed info. Maybe I will spring for the more expensive slip-ons. Do you know the web address for those companys?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just My Opinion...

I can't say that I know much about exhausts either but, I do really like my Erion slip-on... It looks and sounds great! But that's just my opinion and I have nothing else to really compare it with as this is the only other exhaust I have had on my bike. All I can say is I am really happy! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
What about...

What about Sato or Moriwaki Systems, they seem to be pretty well put together.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Sato and Moris are good but are also kind of expensive.

BTW, folks I wouldn't believe everything you dealer tells you. The salesman at my local dealership asked me(the customer) what the RC was, "is that a twin... now big is the engine".

If I had to guess with the dealer that said the Jardines was the only approved exhaust probably sells Jardines exhausts. The owner or manager probably told the sales person that it was the only approved exhaust. Either way they are full of shit.

Personally, I have always thought of Two Brothers or Erion Racing when thinking of Honda exhausts. Vance & Hines for Yamaha, Yoshimura for Suzukis and Muzzys for Kawasakis. This stems from AMA racing back when I first got into bikes. Two Brothers Honda and Commonwealth/Camel were the Honda teams. The Erion brother(from Two Brothers) split and Erion took over the Honda effort along with Smoking Joes and Muzzy kept Kawi with Vance & Hines and Yosh running the other factory teams.

These are not the best ways to pick exhausts. It is just sort of a fan thing that is hard to shake.

I currently run Microns on my Honda and I'm very pleased with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a V&H on my old F3, and loved it. Would I buy another one? If the price was right, sure. However, my personal favorite is the Leo Vince now. A buddy has it on his F4, and that thing is mean! As deep as I've ever heard an inline 4, great looks, and a measure of exclusivity that others don't have. Reasonably priced, too - neither cheap nor expensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
EXHAUSTED

WELL, THIS HAS TO BE 1 OF THE BIGGEST DEBATE SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF A.M PIPES.... WELL, I DON'T KNOW OF ANY STRICTLY HONDA PIPES..ANYMORE, ALL PIPE COMP.s MAKE PIPES FOR MOST BRANDS, BUT, A RECENT PIPE SHOOT-OUT IN PERFORMANCE BIKES AND THE TOP 3 PIPES WERE MICRON-132.3
AKRAPOVIC-132 AND JARDINE-131.9 THIS TEST WAS DONE ON A HONDA CBR929 SPORT RIDER DID A SHOOT-OUT AND THEIR RESULTS WERE-MUZZY& HINDLE-123.8=TWO-BROS-123.2=M4-123.1=SUDCO-123.0=AND KERKER-122.3 THIS TEST WAS DONE ON A 98 GIXXER 750
PIPE COMP.s ALWAYS MAKE CLAIMS THAT ARE NEVER TRUE, AND YOU CAN SEE BY THESE RESULTS THAT ALL PIPES ARE SO CLOSE IT COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL PREFERENCE I MEAN ARE YOU GOING TO NOTICE .3 OF A HP???! I THINK NOT!!
HOPE THIS HELPED
LATER DAGO

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
I guess my points keep going right over the top of everyone's heads... Peak power is great, but slip-ons or systems designed to enhance mid-range & low end power are what we need for the most part. I mean who the hell cares about peak horsepower on streetbikes? Do the bragging rights mean that much to you? Who rides their bike around at full throttle at redline using all 124.2 hp???

But everyone of us uses the mid-range power constantly regardless of what bike we ride. Just stop & think about it for a second & it will probably make sense to you.

If the magazines themselves had a clue they would do those comparison tests & rate the overall gains throughout the entire rev-range & pick a winner based on those findings instead of just peak power. Yes a 7hp gain on top end is impressive, but a 12hp gain at 5500rpm will launch you out of corners like you were shot from god's own slingshot... What's worse is that with horsepower always being a trade off that usually when a system gives good topend gains that it hurts performance in the lower rev range somewhere. Horsepower is always a trade off
somewhere. Whether you are tuning your power curves with
airbox/airflow, exhaust systems, cams or carb/fi size You cannot
tune a bike to extract low/mid/top end power equally. It's just not feasible. You can get some combination of any of the 3, but
something somewhere is going to suffer

·
Registered
20 Posts
PIPE UP

:rolleyes: WELL, RUBER DUCKY, YOUR POINT IS WELL MADE,AND THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL MAG.S THAT HAVE SHOWN SO MANY GRAPHS AND HP-TORQUE-RPM-GEAR BLA-BLA-BLA IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET TECHNICAL, WITH YOUR THEORY LORD HUNTER, WHY MEASURE HP AT ALL? I MEAN TORQUE IS WHAT MOVES A BIKE NOT HP,BUT IT IS ALL RELATIVE ISN'T. IN OTHER WORDS WHY NOT JUST SHOW A HP & TORQUE CURVE, BEFORE AND AFTER, TO SEE WHICH IS MOST LINEAR, THAT WAY YOU CAN SEE WHICH PIPE CREATES THE FLATTEST LINE, NO DIPS OR DROPS OR DIMPLES SO YOU KNOW RIGHT AWAY FROM 0 TO TOP END RPM YOUR BIKE IS CONSTANTLY BUILDING POWER IN ALL THE REV RANGES-LOW-MID-HIGH YOU GOTTA HAVE EM' ALL, CORRECT? ANYWAY BY SHOWING MAX. HP IT GIVES AN INDIVIDUAL A STARTING POINT SOMETHING TO BUILD ON,AS WE ALL KNOW WHEN WE DYNO OUR BIKES THEY GIVE US THOSE NEAT LITTLE GRAPHS(NO PIPE WILL HAVE THE SAME CURVE, KINDA LIKE FINGERPRINTS) THAT SHOW AT WHAT RPM WE ARE GAINING AND LOSEING HP-TORQUE, SO WE CAN LEAN OR FATTEN THE MID OR LOW OR TOP END....NOW I'M JUST BABBLING ,ANYWAY PICK UP A PERFORMANCE BIKES JUNE OF 2001( IT IS A BACK ISSUE) BUT IT SHOWS EVERYTHING YOU WANT- WHICH PIPES GAINED/LOST AT LOW/MID/HIGH RPM)
BY THE WAY SLIP-ONS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY, SO IF YOUR GOING TO BUY A PIPE MAKE IT A FULL SYSTEM
AND AS FAR AS DUCATI PIPES GO I HAVE HAD THE BEST LUKE WITH REMUS(KILLER PIPES) AND LEO VINCI(IT SURPRISED ME TO GREAT PIPES)
LATER DAGO

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
Re: PIPE UP

DAGO916 said:
BY THE WAY SLIP-ONS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY, SO IF YOUR GOING TO BUY A PIPE MAKE IT A FULL SYSTEM
Yea right :rolleyes: For street riders a set of slip-ons tuned for mid-range is far more beneficial than a full system tuned for topend.

Everyone can use more mid-range, but it is rare that the common street rider has the opportunity to use all the top end hp that their bike is capable of making. Especially for the guys that hit the twisties where corner exit speed & acceleration is crucial & top end power is wasted since you are shutting the throttle down early & short shifting while leaned over. Hell most of the time in the tight stuff you can't even spin the motor up to redline before you are braking. but if you have a tuned mid-range increase that good slip-ons give you then you can ride 1 or 2 gears & use the strength of the motors mid range to pull you around.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts