Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't make this into a sick joke :), but in what country, state, town, highway, ect. has been the very best roads you have ever ridden?

Some of the members may be traveling sometime and would like to know where to lean it over and get some grins.

------------------

·
Registered
525 Posts
Awesome roads in Oregon. Off I-5 there is 38 to coast, East 38 to CraterLake, 42 to coast, 126 to coast. There are so many more less traveled and curvier, but I don't know the #'s, and tough to give directions. CAREFUL, the roads mentioned almost always have statetroopers on the weekends.

TREvor

------------------

·
Registered
83 Posts
:D I have to say by far the best road i have EVER ridden was a place called Nell's gap in Northern Georgia. It is between Blairesville and Delonega. I think the road is the infamous 19/129! :D It is an awesome road with LOTS of curves and banking. I saw countless numbers of sportbike and and as many cops! But they have a contest there to see who can get through it and back the quickest with the most rubbed off of their knee and elbow pads!!! :eek:

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some of my favorites:

1. Hwy 181 from Morganton, NC to
Jonas Ridge, NC. Fifteen miles of
high speed sweepers with a couple
of tight turns through the
Linville Gorge Wilderness Area.

2. Hwy 197 from Green Mtn, NC to
Erwin, Tn. Every kind of curve
imaginable. Very remote, so little
traffic and no police at all.

3. Hwy 143 from Robbinsville, Nc to
Telico Plains, Tn. Forty miles of
sweepers that you can take as fast
as you like. Great Views.

4. Shady Valley, Tn. This area easily
gives Deal's Gap a run for it's money.
Not as well known, so mostly just locals
(a couple of ex-WERA guys)riding there.

All of these roads are worth checking
out if your traveling the southeast.

------------------
"This space for rent."

·
Registered
137 Posts
Located in the South Island of New Zealand, state highway 1 from Picton to Christchurch, it's about 350km's of twisties with a few good straights thrown in and some long sweepers for good mesure.

Ross cbrxx

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

·
Registered
517 Posts
North Cascades Highway in Washington. This road closes in the winter because they can't keep it plowed safely SO you KNOW it has to be good!

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
Highway 46 (don't know if it's a County Road or a Farm Road, those of you that've lived in (we have no friggin' idea how to name our roads) Texas will understand the naming) between 16 and I 10. About 20 miles of FAST (100 MPH DRAGGING THE PEGS KIND OF FAST) left, right, left-right, right-left sweepers, loooong uphills, loooooooooonger downhills. By far the most challenging road I've ever ridden fast on. The 100mph speeds I describe arent' the usual speeds that my riding buds and I take this road on. Usually it's about 85-90. At that speed, 10 mph is a BIG difference. At 100, I was honestly riding at 10-tenths of my ability. I know it was dumb, and I should save testing my abilities for the track, but what's done is done. Anyway, it's a great road, EXCEPT...what kind of Cosmo post would it be if I didn't bitch about stuff?

1. Old people in Cadillacs doing 50 in a 60, that honestly was designed and paved for 80 mph.

2. Farmer Brown piloting the John Deere, (at 23 mph) towing the big-ass trailer w/900 pounds of hay. No joke. This is serious backwoods country. You get behind him, you will either get rear-ended by someone else or asphyxiatied by the hay flying off the trailer.

3. Cops. Cops. DAMN COPS. How come every decent road is covered with roach-like cops? Ah. I know why. Ain't stupid 'ya know. The cops know it's an absolutely perfect road for "evil" sportbikers. They've known for years. Easy tix. So they sit. Luckily, I've only see them out there maybe 30% of the time.

The road is awesome. Aside from crashing, and allllmooooooost (soiled shorts) lowsiding, I can honestly say it's the only time I've ever really scared myself because of how fast I was cornering. Riding at 10/10ths of my ability doesn't happen often. Wow.

------------------
Cosmo
'97 Katana 750

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
This should become an open thread quickly!

One of my favorites, Skull Valley, AZ. Located on (correct me if I'm wrong) 89a between Bagdad <(another good run) and SR 89. Good road with some tight and some long turns.

Watch out for the COWS :eek:

------------------
If they have four wheels, they will not see you.

[This message has been edited by VYPIR (edited June 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
94 Posts
some of the best curves i've ridden has been here in ohio. (we're not all farm lands and cows ya know!)
pick any roads in the hocking hills area, and they're twisty.
in other words, almost any road to the east of Route 104, and south of I-70 are great. too many to mention.

------------------
Amy
"Smiling from gear to gear."

·
Registered
6 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mad kaw:

4. Shady Valley, Tn. This area easily
gives Deal's Gap a run for it's money.
Not as well known, so mostly just locals
(a couple of ex-WERA guys)riding there.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My favorite, since I live 25 miles from there! :) US421- Over 250 curves in 20 miles. :D Not quite Deal's Gap.... ;)

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
I second the Ohio twisties. There ARE some sweet ones down here. Route 691 in Nelsonville is 11 miles of nothing but 30 mph curves, freshly paved and no gravel. I bet it doesn't compare to the Gap, but you make due with what you have.

------------------
Rub those pegs raw!

·
Registered
546 Posts
By request this topic is moving :D

------------------
Chris Blackman
If it is GREEN it has to be better!
www.memphissportbikes.com

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Best place to ride in the Youngstown/Boardman, Ohio area:

Mill Creek State Park -
Radar jammer/detector required :D

Mill Creek is where I do most of my peg-scratching, wheel spinning, excessive leaning, and scaring the s**t out of my girlfriend :eek:...hehe ;) Just gotta watch for the "park police" when doing 65 thru twisties in a park with a 25mph speed limit...! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that pavement sealer in the rain SUCKS!!! :p :D

------------------
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those in San Diego area, try Sunrise HWY to Julian to Mesa Grande to Palomar MT South Grade rd then come down the backside or Eastgrade road, back to Santa Ysabel then south to Ramona where you'll turn left to Wildcat Canyon then finally out to I-8 for ride home. Bitchin Ride...

------------------
S.Gardner RN
2000 ZX6R Firecracker Red

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
For out here in South Eastern PA there ain't
much. But about 2 hours away in Shamokin PA
there is a road 125 the runs up and down a
small mountain. IT IS A RACETRACK ON THE
STREET. Hairpins right into triple s' blah
blah blah... Check out Geoff's post in
Tales from the Street about "A weekend of
Sunshine" it's really well written and it's
a good true story too.

125!!!!!!!

------------------

·
Registered
367 Posts
In TX, I'd have to say that 46 is too easy and that 337west and 336north from 16 out of Bandera and 16 north from Medina to Kerrville are much curvier and way more challenging to even experienced riders.
But then again, I do like those tight curves and not so much the 100+ sleepers :p I meant sweepers ;)

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

·
Registered
56 Posts
The ride up Hwy. 82 over 12,000 ft. Independence Pass in Colorado is as close to riding in the Swiss Alps as I've ridden. twist, turns and kinks, awsome views and pure Rocky Mnt. greatness. Probably not as "twisty" as a lot of the mountain backroads in the South Eastern US but the combination of everyhing make it a road I try to ride "every year".

------------------
BJ Ondo
Colorado
1980 GS1100E Suzuki
"The older I get, the better I WAS!"

G

·
I know you mean public roads but I got on the track at Road America!Was supposed to be a "parade lap" but quickly turned into a free for all when the pace car never materialized.Beautiful 4.5 mile track with elevation changes and 14 turns.My favorite was Canada corner....your coming off the back straight at 100mph(175 on a race bike) and sweep into a sharp right hander....sliding the back end then back on the gas thru an uphill s turn....under the bridge into the last turn and NAIL it up the front straight!

------------------
xxman

1 - 20 of 96 Posts