Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if anybody thinks there is a better bang for the buck then the 1200 bandit? I have a 99 that I bought new for 6400.00 including shipping and frieght. Considering most big sport and sport touring bikes are at least 9 grand. I think another great thing about the bandit is it gets tremendous gains from a slip on and carb jetting. My bike is still stock ( has tons of power right off idle) and I cant wait to see the way it feels with an extra 15-17 rear wheel horsepower added. These easy extra gains also add to the tremendous bang for the buck. Can anybody think off a bike that even comes close in this department? Hats off to suzuki for supplying us with tremendous thrills without sending us to the poor house.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
There is some truth to what you say. Not as flashy as some, but still a lot of bike.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bandits have a reputation as a "do-it-all" motorcycle. While it doesnt do GREAT in specific areas, it will at least do WELL in all of them. A very balanced bike, and for the money, you cant beat it.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
I have to agree, both the Suzuki Bandit and the Kawasaki ZRX are very good all around bikes. And you can't beat the price/fun factor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 2001 model and love it, I couldn't ask for much more. Before I bought it I looked around for a comfortable bike and it's alot better than my last bike and FZR 600 and a ton more power, my hands no longer fall asleep after just riding about a half hour on that FZR. I have a holeshot slip-on on the way can't wait to see how much that will up the fun factor.:D:D:D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Didn't like the looks of last year's model. but the 2001 looks great. I looks like a bike you can put alot of miles on.
I understand it's an easy bike to get performance stuff for and the extra hp vs $ ratio is great. The motor is a favorite with the drag racers out this way.

I've seen several articles that voted this bike as the best bang for the buck...... who am I to argue.

S

·
0 Posts
Suzuki's place the "best bang for the buck" tag on a lot of thier bikes .. katana sv ...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Uh Hello!! Can anybody spell V-F-R. Talk about bang for the buck.....you can ride that thing all day, 200 miles to the tank, straights, canyons, track day, wheelies, burnouts/stoppies (yeah right not with lbs) and get up the next day feeling younger!! The only down side with the best bang for buck is that you can do it all, but not excel in any area. That's why I had to sell the viffer and get the gixxer.....

Bang and buck meet where you want....

P.

·
Registered
245 Posts
VFR? Best bang for the buck?

Not with a $2100 difference in price between it and a new Bandit.

The VFR is a nice bike, but with that extra cash, the Bandit can be easily made to keep up with the Birds of Prey.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The new Yamaha FZ1 looks promising, so dose the Kawasaki ZRX 1200.

Fix the suspension before you get more power. The stock suspension on my '98 1200s was down right scary.
I replaced the front springs with racetech .95 springs and re-valved the compression damper. I replaced the pitiful oem rear shock with a Fox unit. They'll set it up for your weight and will rebuild it when it wears out.:)

S

·
0 Posts
Paul 750 said:
Uh Hello!! Can anybody spell V-F-R. Talk about bang for the buck.....you can ride that thing all day, 200 miles to the tank, straights, canyons, track day, wheelies, burnouts/stoppies (yeah right not with lbs) and get up the next day feeling younger!! The only down side with the best bang for buck is that you can do it all, but not excel in any area. That's why I had to sell the viffer and get the gixxer.....

Bang and buck meet where you want....

P.
I just wanted to add that Gary Rothwell has set more records with a Bandit than any other bike... It's also a great touring mount.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, for the most part the bandit argument is sound, but the whole buzz box question has to be mentioned. The whole day ride factor is a minus for the bandit. Doing so can get you a nice tingly feeling all over.....

Perhaps that $2100 premium for the VFR gets you some nice perks afterall. Perks can be intrepreted as Bang for Buck.

P

S

·
0 Posts
Paul 750 said:
Well, for the most part the bandit argument is sound, but the whole buzz box question has to be mentioned. The whole day ride factor is a minus for the bandit. Doing so can get you a nice tingly feeling all over.....

Perhaps that $2100 premium for the VFR gets you some nice perks afterall. Perks can be intrepreted as Bang for Buck.

P
Good point. Honda's are pretty good at fit and finish. But Im a cheap ass, so to save 2K Id take the bandit and buy some thick gloves, thick gel shorts , boot insoles !! :D:D ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Okay thick gloves....40-50 bucks, better bike and no gloves??? okay you're right.....but what about the looks?? ie. what about the ladies??? :)

P.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Vibration? Go ride a thumper for a while, the bandit buzzes a little but I can live with it.;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
The 2001 Bandit 1200 has pretty much eliminated all the vibes, its as good for all day rides as the VFR. In fact, the B12 has a better riding position for long touring than the VFR. I'd also match the fit/finish on the 2001 Bandit with any Honda.

So much for perks...... ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know you are sticking up for your bike but come on...
Fit and finish of a Honda.

Grasping aren't we

Ian

1 - 20 of 34 Posts