Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GSXR, CBR, ZX6r, R6 stock 2001 models

Assuming I had a budget of only $2,000 for upgrades (not including tires for a season). Which bike do you thing would be best for club racing and why?

For example, I was told that the r6 was great because you don't have to spend too much to get it to be competitive. And that the GSXR was best in terms of upgradability.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The GSXR600 is the best out of the box racer, the R6 is close. Either can be made race ready fairly easily. There are far more racing parts available for the GSXR600. Go to a Club Race and look around and ask, what is the dominant racer.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
gsxr or r6. doesn't really matter which one. the gsxr is probably a little bit better. there's more gsxr's at the track (600's and 750's) than r6's. but overall the difference in speed between them is whatever one feel better on. that's how close they are in the real world.

the gsxr doesn't have a reputation for breaking frames like the r6 does. both need subframes cut down though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The nice thing about the Gix 6 is that you can pretty much pick up parts for it at Walgreens. ( it's kinda like a Civic that way )

The bad news is that the subframe tabs have a tendency to shear off and the new models seem to grenade motors a bit more often than they used to. ( check the WERA site )

Personally I have a ZX-6R. It's got a ton of motor and while it's not as nimble, it's pretty much bulletproof and the motor is not peaky so it's easier for a hack like me to ride.

-quikie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts