Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
State farm is fixing my '00 zx9. all new plastic/ forks/ frame.. tank etc. 6700$worth of "fixing".5200$ of that was in parts...I could'nt believe it!! Even the mechanic was stunned. and I had already gone thru a grieving / mourning period too! What a turn-around!! I always thought if the frame is bent it (the bike ) is history. probably have her back home in 4 weeks. This time I told my wife.. while we are at work or not home... the bike stays inside!I'm so happy.. and I'll be riding again soon!!!:drool: :drool:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hope I don't have to go thru a mourning period when I get my insurance policy renewed!! hope they don't drop me .

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I would honestly be wondering. Like I knew slightly bentfork tubes were straightend out at some m/c shops, but back to normal(?) & having done so much bending of metal & tubes I simply would not chance it.
In one incident where the woman backed up into my legally parked bike, but did not down it I felt the fork tubes were bent. The insurance people felt the minor bend, if there, could be corrected, but I paid for NEW ones.
Seems a few chaps with straightend out fork tubes, after a short while, found the f/forks leaking oil & AGAIN shortly after new fork seals -- all garbaged their bikes then.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No... I am getting a brand new frame, new forks. tank ,plastics, every thing will be ordered from factory. when I said bent frame not totaled you must have thought I was using the existing (damaged) frame. that is not the case. getting a new frame!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
blackkaw said:
when I said bent frame not totaled you must have thought I was using the existing (damaged) frame.
Thats EXACTLY what I thought. That is very odd though. I wonder why they didn't just total it out.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Simular thing happed to my nephew's ZX9R, except that the repair shop only discovered the frame was bent after all the other repairs were done, it still was covered but it took another 7 weeks of prime riding time to get it fixed. ( you'd think that the bike T-boning a truck would give the mechanics a hint to check the frame........... I think they basically screwwed over the insurance co.)

Anyways, the bike ran perfectly with a new frame, you won't have to worry about that. One thing though, because your bike's frame won't have VIN # , the bike becomes a prime target for scum sucking bastards to steal. That's what happen to his.:(

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Backkaw: That is SUPER.

Man I thought you were getting the dirty end of the stick, but not so.
Still like one other put it I wonder why they did not call the bike totalled as most do OR are some of the insurance people thinking differently?
Very interests, but still Backkaw those are wonderful words & no wonder you are so hike up.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
My apology in your handle Blackkaw.
When the bike is ready, you go over it from top to bottom & from front to back & be 100% sure it is like NEW bar what it was like prior to the accident.
Let us know the final outcome, for this IS different.

·
Registered
609 Posts
ninjabeater said:
How can a bike have no VIN? Wouldn't the new frame have it's own VIN?
The frame came with a serial # that didn't match the rest of the bike. but worse, the sticker the # was on didn't stick to the frame's clearcoat. I guess on the stock bike the org. VIN sticker has the clearcoat over top of it. My nephew ended up keeping the new VIN sticker in with his insurance papers, just in case a cop noticed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just found out that Kawasaki is the only co. of the big four that still sell a new frame. (for fixing wrecked bike) all others dont sell the frame.If the frame is bent ..it is totaled.Now my bike will have a salvage title probably.. calling D.M.V. now.Looks like I'll always keep this bike cause it would be harder to sell even if it is perfect.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
?

blackkaw ~ what I want to know is who's your insurance company???:D

General rule of thumb for vehicles: is if it is going to cost more than 80% of the current market purchase price the company will total the vehicle. Current retail of your bike (basic, not including any mods) that you could (supposedly) buy at a dealer in Largo, FL is $7920 (out of kelley blue book, of course yours may be worth more if you've modified it and registered these mods with your insurance co.)... that's nearly 85% of the price for repairs.

If the insurance company fixes the bike, and that's all she wrote, it better not have a salvage title. If they are salvaging the bike, they will write you a check for the market vaule (again... around $7900-ish) and then they will give you the option of purchasing the vehicle back from them with a salvage title. Call your agent and make sure.

I agree with Smitty... double check your bike out before you agree to take posession of it from the shop.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
State Farm ..and it will be a salvage title.Kawasaki and State Farm did some backroom deal on me cause originally the estimate was over 7600$ and then I heard that kawasaki gave state farm 15% discount on partsand that brought it down to roughly 6600 minus my 500$ deductible and they gave me a check for 6100$. you can see what is happening. but I still want the bike but only if they get it perfect!I havent talked to state farm since Igot the check from them . Nobody wants a salvaged titled bike ..but I may be stuck with it .I am the original owner so I know what I got!If this bike were totaled It might be a year before I could get a new one.and If state farm drops me ..then I'm screwed.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Did they tell you they were totalling the bike? I kinda thought that they needed to give you a heads up? bah.

Was this accident your "at fault"? How many claims have you made with them? There are a lot of mitigating circumstances that will affect your premiums and all that....

Tell me about State Farm, my other half wrecked his XX the other day, (Weds) and the lame ass adjuster they assigned to his claim hasn't even made it to see the bike at the tow yard yet. :finger: :finger: :finger: And if'n he doesn't make it out there in the next half hour, they'll be dealing with ME, not him anymore... and he's the nice one! :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually ..no one else involed. no witnesses. Iwas in a rural area with many curves Just missed telephone pole by inches and went thru barb wire fence at 60 mph.best thing.. no ticket!It was the kawi dealer I had to wait on (three weeks)! cause they were behind and had 2 people quit. State farm was waiting on them! when the kawi dealer had the est. ready I called state farm. the adjuster was there the next day!Ihad I ticket in the last 15 years for speeding . no wrecks!Till now.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Well, the good news is: for one accident (your at fault, no other payouts), they're not going to cancel you, but you will see an increase in your rates the next time your policy renews.

If you've paid on time, never been cancelled and have been a good policyholder, they're not going to want to lose your business. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts