Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I passed a state trooper on my right hand side sitting on the shoulder. So I started flashing everyone driving in the opposite direction. Some d*ckhead was just staring at me as he speed past. Not a clue in the world what I was doing.
I have noticed in the last 10 years that I have been driving, less and less people try to help each other out on the road. Does anyone else still try to help others out. I have noticed bikers are better about it but...WTF?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
A couple of weeks ago on one of my favorite local roads a car flashed me. I slowed, assuming there was a policeman ahead. Actually, there was a truck moving a trailer house parked in one of my favorite curves. I was very much appreciative!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yea I have noticed that too. I try to help people out, whether I am in my truck or on my bike... but most people, like you said,.. just stare at you and wonder what the hell you are doing.. lol... oh wel..

It sure would be nice if more people do that...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
A few year's ago, I was driving down the freeway, and someone had stood a piece of plywood on the side of the road with blaze orange letters that said, "RADAR AHEAD." Sure enough, about 2 miles ahead, there were 4 state troopers on the side of the road with a speed-trap set up. They must have been scratching their heads as everyone passed them at 55mph! :D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I try to help people out too.

Paul, that is some funny stuff. A couple of us talked about doing that on the Cherohala Skyway right before the NC Trooper's hiding spot. He was there during the Smackdown. I'm sure you remember him. :D

P

·
0 Posts
After being ticketed for "helping others out," I'm a bit more cautious about flashing my lights at oncoming vehicles. The ticket was dismissed, but what a hassle.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Arizona was one of the very first states in the US to be "blessed" with Photo Radar. After getting a few tickets by this method i have seriously considered making some signs and placing them near the photo radar setups in and around the area.

If the law enforcement officials were HONESTLY just trying to slow traffic down they would post such signs or flashing lights etc WHENEVER any cop or photo van or speed trap etc were active and also at photo red light intersections, (although i think the intersection cameras are a good thing, except when they take pics and ticket innocent ppl who are "stuck" in an intersection).

Unfortunately their bank tills would soon run dry and they wouldnt be able to afford the brand new cop cars every year.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
GreenNinja said:
(although i think the intersection cameras are a good thing, except when they take pics and ticket innocent ppl who are "stuck" in an intersection).
I agree Mike, to a point. However, If people would be a little more concientous, and look "downstream," to anticipate whether or not they can make it through the intersection before the light turns YELLOW, it would alleviate a lot of the gridlock. I get pissed-off when somebody just HAS to make it through the light, and blocks an intersection for minutes at a time. Typically, they don't get anywhere quicker than had they stayed at the light until the next one. Inevitably, it has a domino effect, and traffic is snared forever. Fortunately, where I live, they put traffic cops at all the intersections during peak rush-hour to ensure those buttholes don't lock an intersection.

On a side note, I was driving home last night and was stuck behind a woman in a BMW. There was a bumper sticker in her back window which read, "Save a life-Don't drive and talk on your phone at the same time." The woman was on her phone!!! :mad:

Here's my solution. People should be issued rubber dart guns, with darts that say "I'm a dumbass," and can't be removed from a car. When a person has 3 of these darts on their car, they get an automatic 1 year license suspension. :D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Pete said:
After being ticketed for "helping others out," I'm a bit more cautious about flashing my lights at oncoming vehicles. The ticket was dismissed, but what a hassle.
That sucks. What did he put on your ticket.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
748 abuser said:

On a side note, I was driving home last night and was stuck behind a woman in a BMW. There was a bumper sticker in her back window which read, "Save a life-Don't drive and talk on your phone at the same time." The woman was on her phone!!! :mad:

You know the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
tigerblade said:

LOL

yeah... i do!!!

:D

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tigerblade said:

Yes, and it's true, right Pete?

Man tigerblade, that dude in the car really hooked you up!

P

·
0 Posts
funksouljon said:

Yes, and it's true, right Pete?

I have never heard that joke before, but I'm guessing the answer is probably something along the line of "the porcupine has it's pricks on the outside?" Haha, very funny. ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
The other day on my way to work, I was cresting a rise on the road. Some guy on a delivery truck going the other way started flashing his brights at me. At first I thought, he's a moron who thinks my Busa's brights are on. Common mistake since my bike's low beams are pretty powerful. Then it hit me. Radar cops! Right before I crested the rise, I rolled off the throttle and got the bike down to 45(the speed limit; I was doing 65). As I got over the rise, sure enough there was a motorcycle cop sitting by the side of the road with his radar pointed right at me! I went by him at 45 and waved! He kept that gun pointed at me 'till I passed him completely!

Normally, cage drivers don't warn others about radar cops anymore. But next time I will warn others even when I'm in my car. That dude who flashed me saved me a possible $200 ticket!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I always am compelled to 'flash' oncoming traffic when ever i see an operational Photo Radar van setup on the side of the road. As i stated earlier, i despise photo radar, simply because it is all a revenue machine rather than a safety thing.

I feel i can potentially save ALOT of oblivious cagers from a ruined day/month by letting them know they are about to be screwed over by Candid Camera.

Id only expect the same in return. (I never see it though)

Just think about this, in the time it has taken you to read this post, one Photo Radar van could EASILY have "snapped" at LEAST 5 motorists. Thats $500.00 in department revenue in less than a minute.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was flashed by a few drivers the other day on my bike. I came over the hill expecting a radar trap, only to find 2-3 Harley touring bikes in the ditch on the side of the road. They were setting out flares as I drove by. I don't know what happened; there are no cross streets, it looked like they just drove off the side of the road and flipped into the ditch.

There were a bunch of on-lookers, a firetruck and police car on the way, so I didn't hang around. They were sitting on the hill , staring into the ditch, looking like deer caught in the headlights. Weird.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts