Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving in traffic, which side of the car do you ride behind? I ask because I have scene a growing number of people that use both side and not to mention the middle.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Generally speaking, the left side, where they can see me in both the rearview mirror and the driver's side sideview mirror.

·
Registered
19 Posts
depends on the situation.

Are you using the cage as a shield? e.g., can you tighten the gap between the cage ahead before that green-light intersection where the zombie in the minivan wants to take a left into your right-of-way?

In that case I will hang to the left-of-center so that I can see the zombie and then drift right and use the cage as a shield while simultaneously giving myself a bit of room to squirt away if necessary. Perhaps my drift will also alert the cager I'm following that I am in fact following him (he'll see my headlight drift across his rearview). I'll keep an eye on both cagers as much as necessary.

Another case: Entering a blind right-hander. I keep to the right of center and allow the cage ahead to absorb the impact of any zombies that are drifting over the lane marker. If you're to the right-of-center it's a bit more likely that your view of the road ahead (as seen thought the cage in front of you) won't be blocked by the A-pillar of the cage, as it might be if you remain left-of-center through the turn.

Don't forget what Animal Mother said in the movie 'Full Metal Jacket':

Better you than me.

The whole lane is yours, as is the zombie ahead of you. Use both in good health and good forturne.

-Metal

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not so much a matter of which side, but how far back. I like the MSF rule of so many seconds back for reaction time. If everybody rode a bike--then they would drive better in their cars when they are near MC's. If I have to be close to the cagers, I position myself in their mirrors and never ride on the blind side (on the right) longer than I have to. And I tap the rear brake or the front when they get too close behind me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When I took the test to get my MC license, there was a question about this. They say you should never ride in the middle due to the oil/etc that cars leak.

I always ride on the left or right, but no real preference on which.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like posted earlier I try to stay on the left to stay fully visable and keep lane control.

I do go to the right on occasion when taking a sweeper to the left to prevent my head from going over the centerline. Or when next to an 18-wheeler I go to the right of the lane. Sometime I ride in the center on the highway.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Left, with high beams on aim directly in the sideview so there's no question I'm there.

That never varies but the distance might. By that I mean I may drift back or forward if I'm in the left lane (Always) to avoid being in the blind spot of the Mc Donalds-eating, oblivious, Metro meathead in the right lane. ;)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
chris_y2k_r1 said:
avoid being in the blind spot of the Mc Donalds-eating, oblivious, Metro meathead in the right lane.
I'm shocked, Chris. You forgot the worst offender of them all... "cellphone users.":mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
tbozeman said:
If everybody rode a bike--then they would drive better in their cars when they are near MC's.
Amen I wish everybody was taught to ride a bike while in driving school

I try not to ride next to cars but when I have to say on either side but as long as I can see the driver in his/her mirrors. If I can see them then they can see me. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts