Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 F4 yesterday. I got home and it started right up, but on the ride home I had the kickstand down and it bent. So I strapped the bike up straight at home and tried to take the kickstand off, but I couldn't break it loose. However the stand was up for probably 20 minutes and when I went to start it, the battery was dead. Could a kickstand being up drain my battery when the bike isn't running? It started right up when I got home but after working on the stand it is completely dead. Do bikes have alternators? I imagine I'll have to throw a trickle charger on it if they don't have alt's. BTW, the key was off while I was working on it. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, bikes have alternators and I've never heard of the kickstand of a bike using power directly or indirectly on any bike.

The guy probably knew it had a bad battery but didn't want to drop the 50 bucks before he sold it. He probably had it running when you got there, or very shortly before.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
torok: is probably right about the almost dead battery by the prior owner. Good chance that is the original battery he boosted enough to get the sale.

If serviced properly & used properly the batteries in most m/cs should last 5 to 7 yrs.

There are always some additional costs & things to be done to a bike bought from someone else UNLESS they take the best of the care of their bikes & will even point out different things one should look out for like' battery is now 4 yrs old & still doing me well & while there is good rubber on the bike you might need a new chain in a while'. Those are the good people to buy from & yes we have run into them to been them ourselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lights. When it tries to turn over the lights start dimming with each turn until it finally dies and there is a clicking sound. I put a trickle charger on it today about 4:00p.m and it is still charging at 10:00p.m.

I bought it used and the guy had been trying to sell it for a couple months. When people would come to look at it he would start it and let it run but the charging system never kicked on since it doesn't idle at 3k RPM. I imagine that's what slowly drained the battery.

I'll let you all know how things go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts