Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my buddies 93 CBR 600s battery is not charging. We got a new battery when he purchased the bike and it been working fine for about a week.
Today we went for about a 50 mile ride and there were no problems. Tonight however we went to go for another ride and it would not start. We push stated it and it ran ok. Then we stop and we couldn't even push start it again.
What could this be??

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Start with the cheap, easy stuff...have your battery tested. If it checks out OK, read on........

For some reason, some bikes have trouble with rectifier/regulators and stators. The diagnostics require a fair aount of electrical circuit knowledge, or a manual and a voltmeter.

Check the harness leading to the alternator and the regulator. If no obvious burning or poor connections can be seen, then you'll probably want to go to the shop to pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Rundog said:
Start with the cheap, easy stuff...have your battery tested. If it checks out OK, read on........

For some reason, some bikes have trouble with rectifier/regulators and stators. The diagnostics require a fair aount of electrical circuit knowledge, or a manual and a voltmeter.

Check the harness leading to the alternator and the regulator. If no obvious burning or poor connections can be seen, then you'll probably want to go to the shop to pinpoint the problem.
What he said. Sounds like a bad battery to me...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
like i said in my first post we got a brand new battery when he got the bike. the battery has been connected to a trickle charger and it worked fine for about a day.
I am in the process of checking the alternator now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
still have it load checked

just cause its new doesnt mean its good. I would have it load tested then go on to the charging system

·
Registered
18 Posts
check the output voltage of the alternator and reference the voltage to the manual. If it runs for a day then craps out, it sounds like you are not getting any charge to the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts