Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dead Battery

I left the light back light on, on my ZX6R and of course its beyond the point of a jump start from another bike. If I take that dead battery, put it in my XT600 and kick start it, will it charge up my dead battery?

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Dead Battery

marshall said:
I left the light back light on, on my ZX6R ....
What ???

If the altenator puts out the same juice then go for it ?? {Im not positive , Im just guessing}

Why not bump start it ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Charging

I don't know how true this is, but I'll put it out anyway. A shop told me that charging my battery with a charger, while still in the bike is how I fried my black box. He said that charging the battery while still hooked up can send the juice straight into the resisters in the box and burn them out. This then acts like a rev limiter. I was having problems with the bike not revving past 8 grand. The problem consistently got worse, and the rpm limit dropped I won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sure,
If your XT will run without the headlight hooked up then disconnect it so you'll get a little more juice. Then keep it reved up for a while and I should get enough of a charge to start the big bike and then ride the crap out of it to charge the battery the rest of the way. Make sure none of the cells have gone bad first or you'll have to get a new battery.

Later,
Eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didn't work

Thanks for the information, but it didn't work. I fired up the XT with the dead battery and let run for five or six hours. After all that the battery could only light up the ZX6R's neutral light and engine oil light. I had to take the dead battery to the local shop to have it charged. I pick it up today so either I'll get lucky and it holds a charge or I'm laying down 65 bones for a new one.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Check your local auto parts for a battery. Prices for most bikes are in the $30 to $40 price range. Parts Plus, Pep Boys, etc. usually have them in stock... at least around here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did that once with my CB1100F and jumped it with a car, just make sure the cables come off quick once you get it going, and THE CAR IS NOT RUNNING!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts