Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to use an impact driver on mine. There was locktite from the factory, which made it so hard.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have not used an impact driver-I'll try it next.
The other side seemed like it was broken, as AZ Scott had suggested, and all I had to do was take out the old and screw in the new. I'm not the most patient person, and this is kind of pissing me off.

Should be so simple; I'll get to it again tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions....

------------------
j.--
"get on the good foot-heh, good god"

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AZ Scott:

If the screw is turning, and yet it's not coming out at all, there must be a piece inside the bar, that the screw threads into, that is also turning.

When you took the other bar-end off, was there a solid plug of metal, sort of spot-welded inside the bar, with a threaded hole in the center? I'm guessing that's the case. If so, that piece must have been dislodged inside the bar.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for clarification, don't many bar ends have a compression type grommmet/nut that expands as you tighten the screw? This, as opposed to the type on my VFR, where there are permanent threads in the bar that receive the screw. It seems like if this grommet is turning, then the whole assembly could be yanked out of the end of the bar, unless there's a retaining lip or something in the bar. What about trying to get some WD40 in there to help it slide out? If not, Seems like Scott's idea of a puller would would work best, short of drilling the screw as some have suggested.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
380 Posts
I feel so stupid....
I cannot get the bar end off. I have tried holding it tight with one hand while turning the screw with the other; I have tried a power drill with screwdriver bit; it just turns and turns and turns...
I was able to get the left side off, but I think that is because I went down on that side and had broken it off inside the actual bar. I bought new ends, and would like to have a matching set.(yeah I know I'm anal) Plus it would be nice to try some gel grips.
The left end came off fine, the new one went in fine and tightened down fine, and I can unscrew it easily. So how in the hee-zee do I get this thing off the right side? Other than taking a hammer to it and breaking it off?

------------------
j.--

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
What just turns and turns and turns.. The
whole damn handle bar or just the screw??

Is it's just the screw turning than get a
really tiny screw driver or a mechanic's pic
($2 at local parts store) and get in there
behind the screw and pull in out while you
turn it with the electric driver. Sounds
like you jumped the threads. Start there.

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?

·
Registered
380 Posts
the bar end and the screw turn at the same time; if I hold the bar end tight, I cannot turn the screw. I can't get behind the screw, it is flush with the surface of the bar end. Maybe behind the bar end itself? Hmmmm, perhaps I'll just resign myself to an eternity of mismatched ends and stock grips.

------------------
j.--

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I had this problem when I was replacing my stock grips. The screw was on there pretty good and I couldn't get enough grip on the barend to turn the screw by itself. I had already sliced my grips with a razor so those fng bar ends WERE coming off. I placed one of the grips over the bar end which gave me solid grip and used a long screwdriver for better leverage and Voila.

Don't let a silly bar end get the best of you...just screw it..uhh..I mean un-screw it :)

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
328 Posts
You've got yourself a little conundrum there!

If the screw is turning, and yet it's not coming out at all, there must be a piece inside the bar, that the screw threads into, that is also turning.

When you took the other bar-end off, was there a solid plug of metal, sort of spot-welded inside the bar, with a threaded hole in the center? I'm guessing that's the case. If so, that piece must have been dislodged inside the bar.

You'll need to exert some pressure between the end of the handlebar, and the bar-end itself. The best way to do it would be a bearing separator, which sort of looks like a clamp with two opposing curved wedges (kind of guillotine-like). If you can't find one of these tools (try Auto Zone -- they loan out special tools), use a screwdriver or small prybar.

With the tool in place (it would help to have an assistant), and exerting as much pressure as you can, try turning the screw. If possible, use an electric drill or air wrench to turn it.

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Registered
873 Posts
At this point i would drill out the screw head, remove the now free bar end, go to the dealer or a boneyard (if existing) and get a new screw. You may discover a mess once you get the bar end off if things have become loose as was suggested above. Either way, there is a point when i am working on vehicles, where i have had enough BS and have to take charge of the situation. If the previously suggested methods prove ineffective, DRILL THAT MOFO SCREW! (carefully)

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Ok, I know the type that you are talking
about. Impact driver is definitley a good
idea. Probably the best one. You can also
try prying with a large screw driver between
the bar end and the bar itself while turning
it. What you really need is torque and speed,
something impact (air impact would be best)
will do the job.

Good luck

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts