Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just in my second year of riding and want a better bike. Knowing that an upgrade in the next few years is possible, does anyone have any thoughts on these two bikes? MAJOR CATCH to my question - I will be taking a trip from Ohio to California roundtrip and need something comfy. Suggestions?

·
Registered
291 Posts
bikerchik said:
I'm just in my second year of riding and want a better bike. Knowing that an upgrade in the next few years is possible, does anyone have any thoughts on these two bikes? MAJOR CATCH to my question - I will be taking a trip from Ohio to California roundtrip and need something comfy. Suggestions?
Comfort is a very personal thing.... I can't stand most Honda's, they're too uncomfortable for me, however Suzukis fit me just fine :) I've owned SVs and they're great bikes that can be easily upgraded if you get bored. They make great racers too :p Just go sit on both and figure out which one is best for you :2cents:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
SV 650S vs Bandit

I am assuming that you are comparing the SV to a Bandit 600?

Both make equal amounts of horsepower, the SV having more low-end and midrange power vs the Bandit which makes it's peak power at higher rpm. For long rides on the highway, I find 4-cylinder bikes to be smoother than the thumping of a V-twin, so I would prefer the Bandit for that kind of use. (although depending on the bike, 4-cylinder motorcycles can be buzzy at certain rpm).

The SV-S model has a noticeably more aggressive (racy) seating position than the standard style SV. This being the case, the Bandit would be the more comfortable of these 2.

Although I think the Bandit 600 is a better bike for touring, I would have to say that the SV is the better bike in just about any other comparison. A much more modern, newer design. The SV has a better frame and suspension plus it has fuel injection vs Bandit's carbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seeing as though I'm not all draggin knees (yet), the Bandit should be fine for me to more fine-tune my riding... right? I mean, being an amature rider, will I notice the frame weight or the suspension? Take this for thought - I ride a 2002 Shadow Spirit now and the guy I usually ride with has a VFR and pushes it to it limits.... Hmmmmm

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
The impact of the suspension will make a difference in the long hauls. The worse the suspension, the faster you'll become tired/weary/fatigued. That's why that factor has some importance.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Based on my research before the purchase, I would have gone with Sv-650S, rather than Bandit 600S. My friend, however, sold me his Bandit really cheap, and my budget tipped the scale in this case.

My Bandit has a really bad buzz around 2500 rpm, which I guess is only noticeable when you stop-and-go. I also feel the buzzing at ~5000 rpm, though not nearly as bad as the other one mentioned. I really wish it had FI, because that 5 minute warm up and finagling with the choke is getting old for me. Because I gear up before every ride, the warm up is just an extra hassle. And if you try to get away without the warm up, you will be getting a nice adrenaline rush as you are clearing your first left turn, give it some throttle, and the engine acts like it will stall on you instead of revving up.

Overall I am happy with my Bandit. It is reasonably comfy, does pretty good on twisties and interstates alike. I wish I had ridden SV650 to know the difference, at least. I do know that Motorcyclist magazine can't stop ooh-ing and aah-ing about SV650, though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bikerchik said:
Seeing as though I'm not all draggin knees (yet), the Bandit should be fine for me to more fine-tune my riding... right? I mean, being an amature rider, will I notice the frame weight or the suspension? Take this for thought - I ride a 2002 Shadow Spirit now and the guy I usually ride with has a VFR and pushes it to it limits.... Hmmmmm
I own a 2001 Sv 650,and i love it. It's my first bike andi couldn't be happier. Its been a very comfertable bike, although i havent been on any long trips. It's a very agile bike rides smooth on highway, and its incredibly tourqy. I can't compare it to the bandit considering i never rode one. I hope i could have been any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
bandit 1200

Find yourself a bandit 1200. I've owned one for 2 years and have nothing but good things to say. all around good machine, power to stay with the boys, comfortable upright position for long rides, great for 2 up riding, all you can handle thru the twistiys, insurance is affordable and best of all a great price tag.

I love smoking the posers with plastics

gilcane

·
Registered
517 Posts
The naked SV or the Bandit use old-fashioned handlebars which you can buy in a variety of shapes to customize the position to suit your needs. That could be a big difference if you are looking for a highway/road trip bike.

I'd agree with the inline-4 being smoother than a twin for longer rides, too. My wife REALLY likes the vibration of the SV, however...

The SV, 1st or 2nd generation, are newer bikes in general design and have more "sport" potential, as well as being lighter. That said, the Bandits were a 600cc Suzuki staple for many years and it is a bike that ,while not stellar by modern standards, performs well and is a proven, all-around bike.

Carbs vs FI argument is what you make of it. FI has auto warm up, auto choke and has computerized flexibility to make engine run well under many different conditions. You won't fix it on the side of the road with a screwdriver, however. Carbs are simpler and more widely understood in more areas of the world.

Really depends on what you are looking for in your next (but not LAST) bike. Pick one and ride it for a while. If it is not for you, try the other next. :2cents:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Haven't ridden either, but for what it's worth the Bandit is about 100lbs heavier if that makes a difference to you.

Maybe that helps make it a better long haul bike?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
SV has enough torque to do first gear wheelie on throttle just around 5K rpm. Deceptively fast, but it's geared short for that torque, so you'll be up-shifting more. 2nd-3rd gear gets the job done for most situation, 4-6th gears are optional for HWY cruising.

Very torque-rich motor and lightweight as the Supersports, especially the naked, which has one tooth dropped on rear compared to the S model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
both bikes r fine.i'd apt for the water cooled sv myself.i have a hawkgt,so i might lean to the sv somewhat for its handling and braking vs. power and weight of the bandit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts