Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it took a year to realize that I got ripped off from eBay. The main reason I got ripped off is becuase I was ignorant but the seller wasn't honest either. Let me tell you what happened. Last September I purchased a 2001 CBRf4i off eBay. Seller claimed the bike was all original and had never been crashed. It was my first bike so I brought a friend who had a bike to look over it which was my second mistake. So I tried to sell the bike recently and found out the bike was definately crashed. It was painfully obvious to the trained eye but not to me.

Now I have a bike that is worth way less than I thought and I had to end my auction of the bike and eat the cost of posting cause I put "never been down" in the description. Now i'm gonna have to wait longer till I get that dream bike of myne.

I guess my point is 1) BUYER BEWARE AND WELL INFORMED before you buy a bike from eBay and 2) ALWAYS HAVE THE BIKE INSPECTED BY A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE YOU BUY!

Sorry for the long and rambling post but I had to vent!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the 2 biggest things were that there were some scratches on the frame behind the left fairing. You could see them if you looked very closely. The second thing was that the shift lever was slightly bent. The third thing was that the peg feeler on the left hand side was broken off.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Have you considered contacting Ebay? I'm sure they'd ask if you contacted the seller first, but its worth a shot. The worst that can happen is that you'll be denied.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
bittersweetryan said:
Well the 2 biggest things were that there were some scratches on the frame behind the left fairing. You could see them if you looked very closely. The second thing was that the shift lever was slightly bent. The third thing was that the peg feeler on the left hand side was broken off.
Are you sure its crash damage? the bike might have just been dropped...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At this point i'm not 100% sure about anything at this point. I'll take a bunch of pictures tonight and post them and see what you guys think.

The marks aren't all parrallel and very dark, but it also doesn't look like it could have happened if it was just dropped.

Here are the only 2 pictures I have of the damage right now:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Hard to tell from the pictures, (I cant even see the damage in the second one). But it most certanly could be drop damage.
Look at the scratches.. if they are long (2"+) and all go in one direction, then its crash. If the surface looks like a cheese grader, with small scratches going in whatever directions, it was probly a drop.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

If it provides any comfort, that minor damage on the passenger peg could have been caused by parking the motorcycle very close to a rough cinderblock wall in a garage.

I painted my garage and then affixed thick acoustic padding in my old place to prevent that exact kind of damage because I wanted to fit both my motorcycle and vehicle in the modestly-sized garage.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the second one, the clutch lever is bent slightly and the scratches on the metal part at the end of the grip. <br><br>
The thing that made me think that it was crashed the most was that the frame iteself is scratched under the fairing. Can that happen from just being dropped?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Replace the scrath lever(s) and polish the frame. It will look good and nobody will ever tell the scratches were there. More than likely get more out of the bike if you go that route.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm with duessel
Levers are cheap, so are bar ends. Polishing the frame... Well it will have to be your decision. Its hard to say if those scratches on the frame are from a drop or a scratch.. can you put up a picture?

Also, I would never put "Never been crashed" in a sale add. If you dont say anything, people tend to assume that. If they want to know, they can always ask

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If the scrathes are deep in the frame, fill them and have the frame powder coated. Kind of lot of work, but makes the bike look alot better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here are the other pictures:

I couldn't get a good picture of the frame scratches but they are pretty minimal. This is what they looked at and told me it was crashed.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have more scratch marks on my F4 clutch cover that all those pics combined. The shift lever is no big deal, I pulled mine until it was straightened. There are paint chipped off on the fairngs, my bike was dropped by the previous owner on its left side.

It seems like a simple tip over in your case as well, a crash should have more damages if it wasn't fixed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I do know the left fairing was replaced, its a slightly differnet color (which I didn't notice till they pointed out). The clutch cover they said was sanded and repainted but I coudln't tell and still can't tell what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Crash is a matter of degree. Just fix and/or point out the problems and let the next buyer beware. Bike doesn't look that bad.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi bittersweetryan-

Judging by these pictures, you can thankfully put your mind at ease. That looks like very minor damage from a stationary tipover. Somebody wouldn't go through the time and hassle of "sanding and painting" a clutch cover...they would just simply purchase a replacement part and bolt it to the motorcycle.

Crash damage would be extensive and be characterized by LONG scrapes completely in parallel with each other. You would probably see additional damage like cracked lenses, torn seat upholstery, and other signs.

Lastly, the backs of rearview mirrors take a huge beating from dust, rocks, insects, road debris, and other things. They are on the "leading edge" of the motorcycle and therefore pretty exposed to abrasive things flying through the air that can scratch the plastic.

~ Blue Jays ~

1 - 20 of 44 Posts