Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!!

If you guys are making just a short trip to a summer home, or something like that, maybe about a 2 hour ride at most, but you need to take a couple of extra pairs of clothes, do you just shove them under your jacket or do you wear a backpack??

If you wear a backpack, what kind of pack do you wear??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use my big ol' Targus laptop backpack. It's got lots of little storage nooks and crannies, it has a padded compartment for my iBook, and (most importantly) is has some huge swaths of shiny, silvery, refletive-y material on the rear of it. This is a Good Thingtm.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I know a lot of people use backpacks but I was always concerned about using one in the event of an accident. Anything hard, bulky, pointy, etc. may not be the best thing to land on, making a bad situation worse. I use a magnetic tank bag and/or a tailbag. Cost about $60.00 each from Tourmaster and come with a bonnet for rain riding. I get rain suit, shoes, toiletries, and clothes for a week in that set-up. Just something to think about.:)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've got a regular old Jansport that I use for daily commuting (when I need to take something to/from work). Works well, but I agree if its more than an hour or so, you're better off with some kind of luggage...less strain on your back and its less likely to cause injury

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
tank bag is best, but in college, i just carried a book bag. today, i just drive. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
Aerostitch Courier Bags

I have been using these for over ten years. They expand to hold a lot if you have to. You can adjust them to sit the weight on the seat behind you or rest in the middle of your back. Positioned right they are very comfortable and briefcases fit perfect inside. Look at them before you go the backpack route.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I second the jansport bag. I got a nice blue one with a bunch of reflective tape on it. and if you are talking about a change of clothes or two I really dont see to many sharp edges....

Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've got a backpack by Northface. In addition to shoulder straps, it has a waist strap and a chest strap. I was concerned about the bag shifting around and this keeps everything in place. A friend has a magnetic tank bag which converts into a backpack. Pretty neat feature. I was skeptical about the magnets being able to hold it on, untill I borrowed it for a trip. It held great. I think the bag was by tourmaster but there are many others.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Tamara said:
I use my big ol' Targus laptop backpack. It's got lots of little storage nooks and crannies, it has a padded compartment for my iBook, and (most importantly) is has some huge swaths of shiny, silvery, refletive-y material on the rear of it. This is a Good Thingtm.
Is that with or without the iBook? How many sets of underwear can you put in that backpack? :D

I use a modified NorthRiver backpack. The bottom is leather and the back is padded. I normally don't carry anything that would hurt, in any event (unless I'm going to get new tires, then I carry tools).

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Blackhawk Industries

Backpack- Enough room for clothes for a weekend, waterproof, chest strap, waist strap, compression straps, and a camelback pocket. Not to mention the lifetime guarantee :cool:

(just gotta remember to secure all the strap ends, or it becomes a nuisance real fast)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Good Ol' Green Jansport :)

Just remember not to have the two zippers meet on top! Zip them both over to one side or the wind will open the pac :crying: ...yep, it sucks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
If you guys are making just a short trip to a summer home, or something like that, maybe about a 2 hour ride at most, but you need to take a couple of extra pairs of clothes, do you just shove them under your jacket or do you wear a backpack??
I use a backpack to lug briefcase-type contents 10mi or so, but in general, I find that they suck. Unless weight is next to nothing, it will become uncomfortable, especially for a ride as long as 2hr.

I recommend a tank or tail bag instead.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also use a northface pack and have used one for over 10 years. Even though when my bike was stolen by some punkass, I still used my pack for every day use to put all my meds, tools, clothes, 6 pax, and anything else I needed to carry in it. I also have the one with the waist belt so it takes pressure off the shoulders during those long hauls. I don't know what I'd do without my pack.

Tank bags are okay if you don't mind riding sitting up all the time. With a tank bag you're not able to get low on the tank and support your torso on your arm. While I ride for long periods of time, I change my riding position many times, and with a tank bag I wouldn't be able to ride in one of my most comfortable cruising positions.

Besides, when a bike is all you have a pack I think is the best and easiest sollution to carry whatever you want.

To prevent that zipper opening up while riding, as it has already been pointed out, do put the zippers to one side or the other or it will open up while riding. I've also used a safety pin to hold the zippers together just for some extra security.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Luckily, the Targus backpack I have was designed with (I guess) mountain biking in mind. There's a flap over the top that snaps down, so you can zip both zippers to the top and have them meet under the flap. There's a snap-clip on one of each pair of zippers, so you can snap them together to keep them from blowing open. The side against your back is moulded and contoured and heavily padded. There's a wide, adjustable waist strap, and a narrow, elasticized chest strap, and a convenient carry handle on top.

I'm a dedicated bungie net user, having strapped a week's worth of groceries (including a six-pack of Bass, a 4-roll pack of Charmin, and a 2-liter Mountain Dew) under a bungie net before, but this pack made a believer out of me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My girlfriend bought me a "hard pack" thing. It's like a backpack but it's hard. It's designed for Laptops. I actually thing I saw one in the movie The Fast and the Furious. She told me to find one and buy it, then she'd pay me back. I thought she wanted it for something, but she's giving it to me!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
backpack/toolbag

I install acoustical ceilings for a living.when installing grid I have to drive my pickup(haul scaffold/laser/etc.When we install the ceiling tile,my scaffold is there so all I need are a few hand tools and a tool pouch.I empty the pouch putting tools in center of backpack,then place leather toolpouch around hand tools so nuthin hard or sharp makes contact with me.Then I use 2 bungee cords and strap it to passenger seat.never had a problem.and I found a place to lock them up at this school I've been working at(3miles from the best twistee roads in the county).guess where I go before and after work every day!

·
Registered
32 Posts
defending tank bags

Got to stick up for the tank bags. I also use a tailbag on long trips. I don't find tankbags uncomfortable in the least, and I enjoy 3,000 mile plus trips. I shift position frequently as well, and the tank bag is a pleasure to rest against.

Then again, I've never used anything more than a dinky bikini fairing, so it is quite possible that I don't know much about comfort.

Btw, my tankbag is an RKA and well worth it. Awesome, awesome, awesome piece of equipment. Straps down low profile, expands for tons of luggage. Map window is also nice.

Ciao

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought a cheap Boscan backpack, and It works like a charm. It has the over the shoulder, across the chest, type of strap, that joins by velcro, so you can take it on or off with your helmet still on. It can slip around a little if you don't do it up tight enough, but its never a real problem. Zippers are nice and firm aswell.
I don't use it for heavy articles, but it fits my lunch, spare visor and a few odds and ends no problem.
I liked it so much, I bought one for my brother.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The best sport cycle backpack is called the HUMP. It comes from britian and is specially designed for sport rider. I has an aerodynamic hump on it just like the leathers. It also has a special channel down the center to let air get between the pack and your back. It comes with a velcro wide elastic waistband to hold the pack secure. The pack is also designed with loops so all the loose straps can be secured. There is a small change jey pocket on the shoulder strap and on the waist strap is a wallet and wallet holder. The best part is the pack comes in two sizes and has water resistant zippers and has a draw tie bag top to keep you goods dry. For heavy rain, the pack has a built in pack cover in it's own storage space on the bottom. It can be removed and dried. The pack has an inner pocket and outlet in case you want to use a camelback reservior. the pack comes in several colors and since I bought a Triumph, mine has a Union Jack hump. It is hands down the best looking, most secure, most useable rucksack around. I can't even tell it's on my back with my riding jacket. It costs $115.00. you can see it in Superbike magazine. I'll post some pics when I find them on the internet. This rucksack can't shake a stick to any other pack around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts