Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I ride too work every day wearing my back pack that normaly holds my tool box for work, I cant stop thinking how bad it would be if I was too get in an accident and land right on my back while wearing my full backpack.
The main reason I wear one is b/c I cant find a tank bag or other such items that will fit my gear for work. Not too mention having them stolen off my bike. I was thinking about trying too strap down my box too the back, but as silly as it sounds if I was too lose my tool box there are alot of important work related items I can not lose. As it is difficult too get get them again.

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i wear a backpack everyday to class.. i dunno.. i could only imagine my backpack as being armor, the books and folders protecting my back

but thats just what i think, i dont like wearing it.. but, i'm on a bike, it's not like i can put my books on the passenger seat. i do what i can and try not to crash and find out how safe a back pack really is ;) as always it's just my :2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Depends on what's in the backpak...if there's anything sharp, that could be a problem...you might want to consider buying a plated back protector...just in case..:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
phatkidwit1eye,

I take it that you can't leave your tools at work, is that correct?

Have you tried a tailpack or even a topbox?

I can't help thinking that carrying tools in a back pack could be dangerous as I'm sure there's sharp stuff in there.

When I started riding I used a racksack to, but I found the weight too much and worried about what would happen if I fell off. I bought a tank bag which is great, but difficult to carry off the bike as it's an odd shape for a racksack.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Holy shit, who started this thread? I seem to recall him from somewhere, but it's been so long I can't seem to place him;)

Anyway, I wear mine alot, and never pay it much mind. I do sometimes worry though when I ride around with my un-sheethed knife collection in it.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I think your concerns are well founded. A magnetic tank or tailbag might be in order. Possibly a good heavy duty bungee net for your existing bag would work. Those can be hard on paint over time, but some strategically placed clear vinyl tape can protect the paint and be removed at any time. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
when i do longer rides i always wear a back pack and it never really bothers me. It's kind of funny because my jacket seems to catch the wind a lot more than my backpack. anyways back to your problem/situation. Depending on the amount of tools you have i found a tank bag that is expandable and comes with a strap to carry it when not on the bike. I used it when i was at school and it looks similar to what everyone else was carry around. not that looks really matter but it was pretty comfy and really worked well while riding or walking around. i will try to find a web site that has it. IMO i would really avoid putting a bunch of tools on your back....pretty dangerous it you ask me.

the backpack on midlife's post is pretty sweet might have to pick one of those up for next season.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wear a backpack anyday i am able to ride.. Is full of school books and weighs about 30 lbs and im riding 30 miles one way, never thought of crashing but if you do im sure that backpack will fly away from you pretty quickly..

·
Registered
463 Posts
"... never thought of crashing but if you do im sure that backpack will fly away from you pretty quickly..."

Maybe. Maybe not. How's your luck these days?

Sure, you could land on it, or it could land on you, but that's not what really scares me about wearing a backpack.

What scares the hell out of me is the idea of being off the bike, in a slide or tumble and having it snag up on something and act like a hangman's noose. Catch it wrong and it could break your neck, rip hell out of your shoulder joint, tie you into your tumbling bike... anything. Ugly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I guess it depend how big the pack is, and how it is attached. I guess a good safety option might be to add some sort of break-away clip or velcro. If you fell and rolled or it was caught on your bike you would want it to pull off instead of ripping your shoulders appart. First time I ever thought of that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That's the problem. They make them stout and out of strong materials to take a good bit of strain like carrying books and so on. That will really work against you if it hooks on something at any speed. :barf:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work in the railway industry and when on track we have to wear highvisablity vests, which are held together with velcro or poppers. The idea being that if they snag on a train they will tear off not drag you under the train.

I must admit that it hadn't occured to me to aplie the same thory to rack sacks either. It's logical though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Besides snagging on something when you are sliding down the road to break your neck you have to consider what is in the bag as well. Unless it is a pillow you will probably break some ribs. Backpacks are made for hiking, not street riding. If you get off at speed you do not want anything following you along. Get a tank bag or a sport pack to put on the tail.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I use one of two fanny-bags. First was purchased from Malcom Smith in his lst attempt to sell products for Enduro competitors so have had this tubular bag for many yrs. Carries a lot of m/c tools, spare parts, first-aid kit & such. From around early 70s till I had to stop comp & dirt riding in '89. It has stood up well even with a lot of hairy prangs & never given me any trouble. Now can be used for hwy use.

Also a much larger one also from the newer name of MSR that can house the above fanny-bag & all its goodies, water bottle, waterproof riding gear etc.

Advantage is once off the bike the bag is with me yet can be taken off in a shop or restaurant like a rucksack. True not the capacity of a rucksack or some tank bags but thought it might interest a few in the constant use of them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welli guess the way i wear my backpack is pretty darn loose, when i walk to class i actually have to fight it on my back just to keep it there with both straps on, so in my mind if anything is going to happen im hoping that extra slack will help out, but then again i dont intend to crash..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I suppose this is a stupid question...
Has anyone ever crashed with a backpack on? and what were the results?
My uneducated guess would be that the backpack would tear apart at the seams with any force (sliding down a road).
hm
Gabe

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I too would imagine that a backpack would rip to shreds on the road before it would do any damage to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts