Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if getting into an accident is the right of passage into the motorcycling community, I've just passed.

Been having a training class in Indy this week, so was heading off in the bright, cool morning. I was stopped at a light, in heavy traffic, for the second light rotation. As I was rolling at ~30mph during the third, I was close to the intersection, and the light changed to yellow. I had space to stop, so I did.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to watch the guy behind me in an SUV (vehicale specification intentional). His front end dipped dramatically, and I could tell he couldn't stop in time. So, I rolled a bit ahead, but stayed straight. Bam, he got my backside, but I stayed up, and out of the intersection (thank heavens).

After we pulled off, he was very apologetic, and explained he assumed I would just gun it through the intersection. We surveyed the damage, traded information, but I opted not to call the police (perhaps a foolish move, but he and his wife were really conciliatory). He attempted to give me $50 for the damage, but as you all know, plastics are WAY more than that.

So, we parted ways, and I had to stop at the Meier (similar to Walmart) that was on the other side of the intersection to get a bungee cord to hold up my right rear turn signal. While leaving, I heard a strange noise coming from the front sprocket area of my bike.

After a peek behind the cover, I realized that the front sprocket screws were coming loose!:jawdrop: To me, someone in heaven must've been watching over me to cause such a minor accident which resulted in me realizing this sprocket was coming off. After all, at highway speeds, if the front sprocket came off, I'd be much worse off. So, I thanked my stars, tightened the bolts, and headed off to continue my journey to class.

I mistakenly turned the wrong way, and so at the next light, I had to make a U turn. When the light turned, I gave it a little gas and started off through the sharp U. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground, and the bike was 10' from me. I had lowsided, in a slow, sharp turn, and the real cause, I suspect, was some oil I hadn't noticed.

Well, my jeans were torn, I got two nasty raspberries, and now there's a significant oil leak from the oil pan (I think). Wife now understands my strong desire for leather pants with armor. Alright, three mishaps in a day is enough for me to throw in the towel. I made my way 40mi home, and emailed in sick with an explanation.

Just got the damage pricing for the bike, and it totals $457.59. Please wish me luck with the guy who hit me, b/c now I'm a little concerned about my incompetence and letting him go w/o a police report. Live and learn.

Ironically, I'm glad all this is happening now, since I bought the bike for $1k, so it's really a minor investment not worth thinking about too much.

Anyone want to see pics? They're not too exciting, but I'm willing if there's interest. One other question. When I lowsided, I completely ignored my own injuries and began to inspect the bike. Anyone else do that before? Seems like I had my priorities a little out of whack.....

Out of commission for a while, kanwisch.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
duessel said:
Oh Yeah, get well soon. :)
good recovery:rolleyes:

sorry to hear about your misfortune. bummer on the lowsiding. kinda puts a damper on filing a claim for getting rear ended, or does it?

glad to hear you're ok:thumb:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, not sure what to do about filing. I suppose I should report it, but I'm hesitant b/c of the impact to my insurance. Thoughts?

Here're some pics. As I mentioned, this was pretty darn minor. The motorcycle pic is form the rear-ending, the jeans and knees from the lowsiding.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
kanwisch said:
Well, not sure what to do about filing. I suppose I should report it, but I'm hesitant b/c of the impact to my insurance. Thoughts?
the rearending shouldn't matter because it was his fault. but you did say you only paid $1000 for the bike so you probably don't have coverage for your damage anyways.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that pic sucked. Here's the knee.

Attachments

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the jeans. Remember, roughly 5mph, low side, and the gravel went through the jeans like butter. Denim is worthless.

Attachments

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap, that sucks.:(

As far as filing a claim, I would imagine that it would have no impact on your rates, as you would not be the "at-fault" driver. Anyway, get better quick!

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I bet you two are right. On the one hand, I don't want him to get screwed by his agency for not filing the claim, but on the other, I don't know how well to trust this guy.

Should I file and just let it go? Or should I wait 24 hours and if he hasn't contacted me, file? Sometimes I feel like too nice a guy.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The pity of it all is you did not get the drivers license number & immediately reported it to the police. I think you are on the loosing side of this one. NEVER trust a cage driver to obey the traffic laws or let them think a minor fender bender is just that.

I would have called it a day after being hit from behind.

So heal up quickly & the two little bit on the knee will scrab, & fall off in a while. So no worry there as I have come off at much higher speeds with jeans, toren open a part of the knee & even smaller road rashes then that ------- just lucky I will admit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should have called his insurance company IMMEDIATELY!!! If the accident were the other way around and you hit a cage, do you think they would hesitate to call your insurance company??? I used to be a "nice guy" too but after being taking advantage of so many times, you learn not to trust anyone -- especially in a traffic accident. People will do whatever it takes to keep their rates from going up. After the guy offered $50 for your damages, I would have called the cops right then.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jamesjweg said:
Give him a chance, I've been there too, it's way better keeping the cops, and ins companies out of it.

James.
Well, James, I did. And up until we started exchaning emails and having telephone conversations, I was a wrecked internally.

He did come through, and after some research had found some less expensive alternatives, totaling $350. So, I got a check last week for that amount to repair the bike.

As it turns out, Ebay listed nearly all the items I needed recently, so I got away with only a $60 repair bill. Again, what luck, huh?

The remainder has been used to purchase leather pants with armor (Fieldsheer Tungstens), along with a jacket I'll be posting for sale soon.

Even though it all worked out, I will never make that mistake again. I was simply too nerve-wracked to put up with that ever again.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
kanwisch said:

The remainder has been used to purchase leather pants
Like you didn't have leather pants before you freak. I hope the new ones you bought have a crotch in them this time.:rolleyes:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tippmann said:
Like you didn't have leather pants before you freak. I hope the new ones you bought have a crotch in them this time.:rolleyes:
Yeah, but the knees were worn out on those :eek:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
So good to read that you actually were the winner in this one. In so many cases it is not so when it comes to dollars & cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts