Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be haveing the same problem as a few of our readers. I have a 94 F-2 that is backfireing every now and then when I let off the gas. The bike has a yoshi slip on. I am not sure if it has been jetted. I took it to the place that I bought it. And they said that it didnt need jetting. This is not a habitual problem. Just every now and then. Any thing that any one has to contribute on this is greatly apricieated

[Edited by daddywaggz on 10-24-2000 at 07:06 PM]

G

·
A little backfiring won't hurt anything, but if you want to get rid of it, regardless of what that shop told you, get it rejetted. And if you have a shop do it for you, don't use the one that you mention; if they were knowledgeable, the least they could've told you is that rejetting *might* help.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
in addition to what pete said, i'd go for a factory jet kit, config 1.0 (stay away from the pro kit). i had a dynojet stage 1, but you could feel where it'd flatten out on top. the guy who did it (jcsportbike, nanticoke, pa) suggested factory. he's a good engine builder and knows his stuff.

most likely your exhaust is leaking. my yosh backfired a lot after the can got a small hole (stoppies can be bad).

re-tighten the entire exhaust and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked the whols system over and checked for leaks. I can not find anything. Im thinking about the jet kit. Will I notice a marginal gain in performance. Another qusetion. Can I do this myself. I have had lots of experiance with race cars and am also an ASE qualifyed mechaninc. I also hold an airframes and pwer plants liscence. I dont see how jetting could be that hard. But as you know the shops tell a diferent story. Any help is greatly apricieated.

Thanks.

WAGGZ

·
Registered
169 Posts
If your a A&P, you must have an awsome set of tools ! :D
I am a A&P my self,... but look, you sound like you have some wrench twisting experiance ! a jet kit is easy to install, and it will help your bike's performance, like cbrF2boy said go with a Factory pro kit, they will have a data base that will get you very close if not perfect the first time you jet it.
good luck !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim. Who are you turning wrenches for. I am actualy in the navy. Got my A&P about two years ago. Right now I am working as an AS&T level two ndi tech.

WAGGZ

·
Registered
61 Posts
backfiring

What I've noticed on popping when your off the gas is
1)Exhaust leak
2)Humidity change

Like when it gets hot and muggy out, your jetting will act differantly than when it's cool. Also I think the temp of the exhaust might do it as well, but haven't had the chance to hang off the back of my bike and try it.
I think the mositure in the air has a lot to do with it.
I have a full Hindle exhaust system and noticed the poping sound as well. I replaced the exhaust gaskets, tightened all pieces, and it seemed to help a bit. (Good place to start.) Then after months of jetting, re-jetting and changing this and that it finally worked. But at the track when driving really hard, it will pop.
anyway,
Have fun jetting, cuz people say it's so easy, when they really mean that they've had lot's of practice changing it, to get it perfect!!!! (may feel fine, but put it on a Dyno)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts