Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, since the sun bakes everything here and its been SOOOO hot during the day, how many of you guys ride? I was out at like 5 PM taking my bike from storage to my gf's house and I was roasting:barf: I want to ride soo bad, but damn the sun is a killer!

TireFryer

·
Registered
31 Posts

I work during the day, but usually come home at 5:30pm and get on the bike to go to the gym at 6:00pm to wet my appetite. The ride home at 8:00pm is even better.

But don't worry, soon it will be the end of August and we will be in September, which means the fall season. Wait! I forgot! We live in Arizona, which means that September is still as hot as August.

Oh well, at least there is October to look forward to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Suck it up, Put on your gear and ride. Are you going to let a little heat keep you from doing what you love? It's not so bad once you get used to it.:)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Warm weather gear makes it all possible for me. :thumb:

Believe it or not, you will get used to high temperatures. My limit is about 105, anything below that and I'm good to go. :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'm with them. All the right gear makes it tolerable to ride. since my bike is my only form of transportation right now, I use it everyday for a 40 mile round trip commute, plus to run errands, and run around town on Saturday and throw in a ride on Sunday.

It's all about planning and preparation.

But I do admit that anything over 105 and I start to get a bit cranky...:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
109F is my limit. And since I dont have a cage, I always check for the day's high temp. If it's going to be over my limit, I just leave the house early and hang around my destination.

Hot temp riding gear and a Camelbak water bottle makes a world of difference also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't mind it too much. After seeing Roberts review I am going to have to look into a textile jacket. The 110+ weather is pretty bad but then again that is in the hottest part of the day when I am usually not going to ride anyway. Mostly in the summer I do the early morning or midnight runs though and I cut my riding to work back a bit.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I live in NM so I know what the high temps are like. I ride no matter how hot it is. When it's really nasty I will stop frequently for rest and rehydration a lot more often. I would rather sweat buckets then be cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keeping the direct sun off your skin helps. Get the textile gear. But remember, some people pay good money for a sauna. You get to ride and enjoy the sauna's health benefits! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keeping the direct sun off your skin helps. Get the textile gear. But remember, some people pay good money for a sauna. You get to ride and enjoy the sauna's health benefits!

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is kind of like a question I once asked a friend of mine that lives in Oregon and commuted via his VFR. I asked, "David, do you ride in the rain too?" His reply was simply "If I didn't ride in the rain, I wouldn't ride much".

I think that's pretty true here as well, just substitute "heat" for "rain". I ride to work every day and it's just something you accept as part of the packaged deal. The right gear really helps too!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:thumb: I have been looking at the textile jackets and I think they are pretty cool. I usually wear a FOX racing jersey which keeps the sun off me but does ZERO for protection and although I hate to say it, riding in this heat with my Vanson jacket is out of the question. I went out all day yesterday and it wasnt too bad, infact my gf was even with me and she did okay :D. Soo, I think I am gonna be riding alot more!

TireFryer

·
Registered
31 Posts
heat

I have the joe rocket Phoenix jacket. I have noticed that a lot of places are having sales in regards to heat gear.
The Phoenix jacket works and I feel better with it on. At least it is starting to cool off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts