Sportbike World banner

Axle grease?

7K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  AZ Scott 
#1 ·
I just removed the wheels from my 2000 Yamaha and the axles were grease-free. American bikes require grease to be applied to the outside of the axle before you slide the axle through the wheel. Are the Japanese bikes the same way or are they supposed to go in clean (grease-free)????

------------------
nohenrys

Life begins at 150.

#2 ·
I have a 2000 R1 and I've taken both my wheels off and they weren't all lubed up, so I guess it's normal.

------------------
John

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

#4 ·
You should always apply a very light coat of grease on the axles. Otherwise, moisture can get in there and cause corrosion, which makes it a pain in the ass to get the axle in and out.

If your bike came with no grease on the axles, it's because your bike was built on a Friday afternoon. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

:D :D :D

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

[This message has been edited by AZ Scott (edited August 17, 2000).]

G
#5 ·
Henry, a word of advice. While you have those wheels off, GET A NEW TIRE!!!! Just kidding, I am reasonably certain that's why you removed the wheels. :D

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

#6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YamahaKid@49:
I just replaced the rear tire on my R1 tonight and the Axle had lube on it. The Manual also says to lube it with Lithium Soap Base Grease.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get your maint. manual? I went to the local dealer and they said they havn't realease the 2000 yet.

------------------
John

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

#7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
Henry, a word of advice. While you have those wheels off, GET A NEW TIRE!!!! Just kidding, I am reasonably certain that's why you removed the wheels. :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw Pete, she's still got a few good plugs left in her, he just took them off to get them polished :D

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

#8 ·
John,
The 2000 Manual is a supplement to the 98-99 Manual. I was able to get the 98-99 Manual from a dealer in PA. I found them by going to http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Motorcycles/Manufacturers/Yamaha/Dealers/ and calling until I found it. The supplement 2000 Manual I found at http://www.motocom.com . None of the dealers have them yet but this guy does. He also had the 98-99 Manual so maybe you could get both from him rather than trying to find a dealer with one in stock.

------------------
Marty

#11 ·
by jk6672:
Are you satisfied with the info in the manual/s?

John,
Gee, sorry I didn't answer you on this sooner :eek: somehow I missed it until now. :) As far as being satisfied with the manual/s, well about 90%, some things leave you guessing about what to do. :confused: One thing too, is the fact that the main manual is for the '98-'99 and the supplement is for the '00. Therefor you have to go to both to make sure you are up-to-date with the '00. :confused: They have been a great help mostly though. Of course any manual I have had, reguardless of what it's for, leaves room for personal judgement. :)

------------------
Marty

#12 ·
Marty,
I'm getting ready to order them tonight. Just got back form surgery (non-motorcycle related) I basically want the manuals for torque specs on bolts and the wiring system since I'm geting close to putting my bike back together.

------------------
John
http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/1144987

#14 ·
Yeah, I'm doing fine exept for that cast that's going to be on my leg for six more weeks, oh well, now I shouldn't have an excuse for not finishing the polishing job on my rims since I really can't do much else.

------------------
John

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - e.e. cummings

#16 ·
Marty,
My ligaments in my ankle became stretched out due to too many sprang ankles from years of skateboarding to running and exercising. So the doc cut them in half, removed all the old scar tissue, shortened them a bit and stitched them back together :( First time ever under, it was a werd experience.

------------------
John

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - e.e. cummings

#18 ·
Yeah, I've though about going with a reverse shift kit but I don't know if that would do anything or not as far as less up shifting goes.

------------------
John

#19 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jk6672:
Yeah, I've though about going with a reverse shift kit but I don't know if that would do anything or not as far as less up shifting goes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may be a good idea, John. I would think that after the surgery, it will be harder to yank your foot upward than to press down. Since upshifts are usually very quick movements, it may be easier for you if you just tap down on the shifter. Downshifts, on the other hand, can be slower and more deliberate, so you would be able to just gently pull up on the lever with reverse shifting...

Certainly worth a try!

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.