Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm obsessed with this car. I know it looks like a smooshed beattle, but man, I've been jonesing after it since I first saw one a few years back.

Someone (who doesn't sound like my wife) needs to convince me otherwise. Is my '98 Prelude enough?

Also, do you think the "German car driver attitude" comes with the car, or do I get to develop it after purchase? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Audi

Scotty:

From what I can recall is is built on the same chassis as the "new" VW Beetle.
You can now get it in a drop top as well as a coupe.
Turbo option,I believe was 225 hp.Quattro is also available too.
So far I have only seen one in person.They are kinda spendy,but,I cannot recall a price.
I will see if I can come up with more info!:)

Jim

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
TT

Scotty:
Here ya go: AudiTT.org

Jim:)

PS: If this doesn't work go to ask.com and ask for "Audi TT".

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The TT is cool, but IMO the convertible new Bug is Cooler and is the same car for much less $$$!!! Get the bug!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I'd buy several new bikes instead, all different flavors! I haven't seen a street car yet that gives me the kick of a good sportbike. On the other hand... a good dirt oval and an 800 horse winged sprint car... THAT'S a RUSH!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Audi TT is a very sweet car. The TT runs about $30-33K, 911 is about $70K, and a boxster is about $40K. So a boxster is a close price difference but a real porsche isn't. Not all of us are big money web developers Robert! :)
I can see how the TT and the bug look a little alike, but I must disagree. The new beetle is a goofy, dork car. I laugh at grown men driving them and wonder about the manhood of a younger guy driving one. To me, it is a chick car just like the V6 mustang.
Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Funky speaks the truth...you'd have to be a bit femme to drive one of those new bugs. If I had the $$$, I'd get a new Corvette. It runs with the best of them and at no more that half the price.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
funky and Clark are just not comfortable with their sexuality. The Beetles are cool especially the Turbo. ;)

I have looked closely at the Audi TT and the Porche Boxster. The TT is basically the same car performance-wise. :cool:

The Beetle is the VW Golf chassis. The lower priced Audi TT is quite a bit of car for $33K. Relatively speaking. We looked at them in one of our crazier, who cares about dept, modes. :D

You can get one fine used Corvette for $33K. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
I wish I had seen this before so I could post before the people trying to say it's a New Beetle!!! It's not a New Beetle. It looks nothing like it, if looking like it means, "having curves" then I guess, yes, it looks like it.

The fit and finish on the Audi TT is amazing, it drives like a dream, it's the car I wish I had. I wouldn't buy a Porsche Boxster either, because, as Funksoul I believe mentioned, it's not a "real Porsche". Before I piss off people who love the car, or have one, let me explain. Look at the way the panels fit together, the spacing, everything, it's not the same as the Audi TT, or a top of the line Porsche. It's there to be competitive in that price range for a roadster, that's all.

The Audi TT is a truly amazing, and gorgeous car, you're wife will fall in love with it, and you'll have to ask her to stop "borrowing it" once you get it. The car screams "fast and classy".

If I get a raise or twelve, I plan on ditching my 2000 Eclipse GT, and picking up a TT. Car and bike are both paid, so... :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
aside from everything else, the Porsche Boxster IS 100% Porsche and a very nice car at that

·
Registered
263 Posts
How about a honda S2000 or a restored Triumph TR6 or even for a 40g price range a shelby corbra reproduction car. If you get the TT get the turbo, qutro, convertable package the cupe is ugly

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the Boxster, it's just if I'm gonna get a Porsche, it'll be the 911, and there's no way I'm ever going to convince myself to spend that kind of money.

I'll probably go ahead and pick up the TT sometime this spring. I like the convertible, but around here (Seattle) it would be a waste for 95 percent of the time. Plus, the coupe has a backseat big enough (barely) for my daughter's booster seat. You know, a car for the real world :rolleyes:

I really looked hard at the S2000, but decided against it based on the inability to turn off the passenger air bag (for my kid) and the fact that you have to be hitting 8000 rpm before the power comes on, and then you go deaf from all the noise. They say it's not even a nice sounding noise. Dig that Honda reliability, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok. The TT.
Firstly, it costs $38,000. This is for the Quattro (4WD), with leather and all the goodies.

But, and this is a big but, IT ROCKS!
Great little car, very fast, very modern, very maneuverable, and very hot!

Beetle?
Yeah right.
Not the same thing. The standard has the 1.8T, sports suspension, and DETAILS!

This car was designed by the same person as the beetle, but that is where it ends.

This car is hot, and if you have all the bikes you need, get one of these too...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I read the tests of Audi's TT. It's basically a Golf 4 platform and powertrain. It uses the same 1.8L Turbo four with a bigger intercooler and more boost. Testers complained of turbo lag compared with the lower powered VW/Audi 1.8L Turbo. That's to be expected as upping the boost means the turbo needs to spool up more to make that kind of power. If you don't mind that delayed kick-in-the-pants response, get the TT.

I personally think the TT is ugly(is there something you and I agree on Scotty? :)) If I wanted the same dynamics, I'd get the Golf GTi VR6 for a whole lot less money.

Also, I agree with some of the guys here. I think the Beetle is really attractive....as long as the driver is female. Somehow, when I see a male driving a Beetle, I think....gay. Same with Golf Convertibles!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Rogue_Biker said:
...(is there something you and I agree on Scotty? :)) ...
There's gotta be something, man. We'll find it.

[/B][/QUOTE]...Somehow, when I see a male driving a Beetle, I think....gay[/B][/QUOTE]

Kinda the same way I feel about Miata's.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RCjohn said:
Damn, you submarine cabin boys must be making more money now. :eek: :D :p
Well you know, it's not who you know, but who you...nevermind :eek:

Actually, it's all the extra cash I get from my drug dealing business on the side. Yeah, I sell ecstasy to ex-nukes for their all night gay raves. :p But I probably don't have to tell you about those, do I?:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts