Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the lingering thoughts of me ever living into Florida is now becoming slimmer and slimmer. Thanks to your law enforcement acting like complete idiots and thinking that we live in a communist nation...

Florida: Police Hope to Seize Motorcycles Without Trial
Florida Highway Patrol seized 344 motorcycles last year by accusing owners of a felony.

Yamaha YZF-R6The Florida Highway Patrol on Thursday showed off a trio of high-powered sport motorcycles it had recently seized, including the $9300 Yamaha YZF-R6.

"All the law says is we get the tag number, we just come and pick up the bike," Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Kim Miller told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

Last year, the force grabbed the rides of 344 motorcyclists, usually claiming that their owners had run from the police -- a felony -- based on a memory of a license plate number. No police car can keep up with either a sport bike's top speed or ability to accelerate, and Florida police have a policy restricting high-speed chases. Although police claim the confiscation policy is done to save the lives of innocent motorists, no automobile driver has been killed by a motorcyclist on the run.

The most common state police tactic is to accuse a motorcyclist of a felony, initiate the seizure proceeding, then drop the charges. This allows police get to keep the sport bike without the effort of a court battle or the danger of a not guilty verdict. Even an innocent motorcyclist will think twice about fighting an an unjust seizure since the felony charges carry jail time and a permanent black mark on more than just the driving record.
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/15/1537.asp

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/yahoo/orl-bikes06_107jan06,0,6419035.story?page=2&coll=orl-newsaol-headlines

Yeah, that shit is messed up. This will only hurt innocent riders more then any real attempt to fix the problem of speeders. So much legal wrong in this law. I say if you run from the cops, fuck felony charges, that really doesn't stop people, but what if you have a law where if your caught trying to run, you'd pay a set fine + a % of whatever asset you own or a % of what you make in a year. People would think again to run if the fine could be thousands & thousands of dollars depending on your economical situation. Loosing 1/2 year of money would put a dent in anyone.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
wow. :(

I've been to Florida, and believe me there is bigger shit the po has to worry about than motorcycles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The debate over universal helmet laws has not been restricted to Florida. Across the nation, universal helmet requirements have met with active opposition, and in recent years, many states have eliminated universal helmet laws entirely, while other impose certain age or insurance guidelines that govern who must wear a helmet, and who may choose not to wear a helmet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts