·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Made it stick!

Good info Dan-o! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
While Dan still gets my worthless vote for emperor of america, I think that article is abit over the top.
1. Whats the guys deal against sportbikes? Good for nothing but the track? Cant commute? Please I've done over 800mi/day on mine and I remember several cruiser buddies begging for a rest couse their arms were going numb. But I'll forgive the guy this point.
2. I am a big proponent of a starter bike. Not starter bikes. IMO the avrg newbe needs a season on something that isnt a race replica. In all honesty one crash (not severe) during that season does wonders. After that most people either figure out that riding isnt for them, or are ready for a full on sport bike if their heart so desires. 125's are great for the msg course, but there is no reason to get one of them, than sell it and get a 250, so that you can than trade it up to a 500. Really, thats way over the top. The GS500 or the EX500 is a fine starter bike. Sure they go 100mph and thats plenty fast to get into trouble. But starter bikes are not a cure for stupidity, just lack of expirience.

My first bike was a 750zephyr, which is a UJM looking standart/cruiser. It would do 120 if you tuck in just right and get some tail wind. It was the first bike I ever rode, and it terrified me when it came time to turn it. It weighed somewhere around 550lbs, and one person could definetly pick it up. Which does bring up a valid point. If you cant pick up your motorcycle, you shouldnt be riding it.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vash said:
While Dan still gets my worthless vote for emperor of america, I think that article is abit over the top.
1. Whats the guys deal against sportbikes? Good for nothing but the track? Cant commute? Please I've dont over 800mi/day on mine and I remember several cruiser buddies begging for a rest couse their arms were going numb. But I'll forgive the guy this point.
Thank you for your continued support! :thumbs2:

I think the author did a good job of defining many of the concerns and realities of being a new rider as it relates to the different types of bikes. Of course, we're all different and what may be comfortable to me may not be comfortable to you. For instance, Vash kisses Tippmann and I'm just not into that. :laughing:

:twofinger

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
...If you cant pick up your motorcycle, you shouldn't be riding it...
Wow, bold statement! :eek:

Not everyone wants to ride a feather-weight sports bike. eg: Are you suggesting that you can't ride a Gold-Wing unless you can lift it?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Yes I am.
I've seen some pretty small guys lift goldwings. It just takes a proper tecnique

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
From the point where you get up thinking *what the hell did just happen?* to the point where you are on your bike and riding again. I've never tried to pick up a goldwing, but I have picked up some pretty big harleys, and I'm not that big (155lbs). So I think that the proper way to pick up a bike should be toght at MSF (if it isnt already) and that if you are too small (like 5'2" 100lbs) than stay away from really big bikes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Vash said:
But starter bikes are not a cure for stupidity, just lack of expirience.
Thats one of the best quotes I've read yet about a first bike!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good article but i will def get my ZX6r as my first bike...I already rode a 93 zx6R for almost 6 months, and I was comfy with it...Cause im almost 300 lbs...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
fauzt0 said:
Good article but i will def get my ZX6r as my first bike...I already rode a 93 zx6R for almost 6 months, and I was comfy with it...Cause im almost 300 lbs...
I love it. "Great rules, but they dont apply to me"

·
Registered
71 Posts
no thats not what I mean...I know that i have some experience with a 600...

And I know my limits and I do know that doing crazy shit will get you killed. thats why i dont do stunts or anything, i just ride...

I do agree some people need smaller bikes, i have seen a few act a lil too dumb on a big bike...

I know you are all much smarter and more experienced on bikes all together, thats why im taking my time to learn about everything..

going to safety class in march before i get the new bike...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
fauzt0 said:
And I know my limits and I do know that doing crazy shit will get you killed.
Do you realize that every single person says that? Do you think anyone plans on wrecking their bike?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Look, I'm sorry I'm being rude. I'm not out to give you a hard time, its just that your current attitude is very, very typical. And I've seen where it leads.

·
Registered
515 Posts
hahaha I'm seeing a trend here vash, you should be our official newbie greeter whenever they say they "will be careful" whenever justifying a new or big bike :twofinger

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Lost Nomad said:
hahaha I'm seeing a trend here vash, you should be our official newbie greeter whenever they say they "will be careful" whenever justifying a new or big bike :twofinger
That role has shifted over time. Those who did it when I got here no longer do, and the same goes for me. Its certainly not for lack of caring but a tiredness of advising to those who have already made up their minds (at least for me). To me they're just looking, usually, for a single vindicator, regardless of the warnings presented. That's a low theshold for evidence :2cents:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts