Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was wondering if my ZX-9R will pass emissions with an aftermarket exhaust on it or if I have to slap on the factory exhaust for the test. Origionally from South Dakota where I never had to deal with emissions.

desertninja

·
Registered
36 Posts
just make sure the bike is properly warmed up before you go for emissions, all they do is a sniffer test, so they just put this probe down the tail pipe for a few seconds (like 30), get a reading, and then tell you if you passed or not!!! My old 92 zx-6 with yoshimura pipes passed just fine, you shouldn't have a problem!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah, so Im bringing this thread back from the depths of hell.

I failed emissions this morning. 5.5 parts CO is the limit and my bike put out 5.81. I don't know how to prevent this, or how to lower my result. I rode down the freeway a 3-4 miles before I brought it to test, but I am going to go cruise for longer right now, because YSA motorsports wants 90 bux just to check and tweak the bike. If they have to open the carbs its will be more. I ask what are they adusting or tweaking to get it to pass on their EG? machine, and I never really got an answer. So what the hell could the service dept. be adjusting if they aren't taking the thing apart? Are they only messing with the idle? Does that even do anything for emissions?

I have a jetkit and full exhaust, and the last owner did pass AZ emissions 10,000 miles ago, so it is possible. Like I said I will go go for a 40+ mile loop on the freeway and try again at the station.

Trevor

·
Registered
525 Posts
I rode around for 60 miles and returned to the emission station. This time I passed on the high limit(5.5) for CO. I was at 5.5 exactly. It's a good thing that humans still get to control the machines. ;)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You could always rig your very own EGR, just figure a way to push air into the tailpipe...

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am not following you at all. Am I making a redneck EGR or are you dissing on the Service Dept that charges 90 bux for nothing.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Well, emissions are tested as PPM, part per million. Thus to lower emissions, you need to dilute your exhaust. Find a way to push clean air into your exhaust, and your done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Or to beat the AZ. emission test. Try taking out the airfilter. draining the tank to a 1/2 a gallon of gas add a pint of rubbing alcohol and turn up the idle to around 1,600 RPMs. That should do the trick.
The alcohol is and oxygenate it will add oxygen to the exhuast.
My :2cents:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
First off, f**k YSA! They are part of the Evil Empire now and don't care about anything but your money. If you want to get the bike tuned to pass easier or increase the performance, take it to North Valley Honda or Walter @ ECS.

Do not remove your air filter! You will rsik getting crap into your carbs and risk damaging expensive parts. I think rigging an O2 line into the exhaust is illegal .:confused:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
How can it be illigal if most vehicles have those from the manufacturer? I mean its illigal to modify the exhaust technically, but really who pays attention to that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
you shouldn't have any trouble passing my bike is from europe and has no emissions on it at all and i passed. get it tested now that it is hot out it will help your chances

·
Registered
156 Posts
VYPIR said:
First off, f**k YSA! They are part of the Evil Empire now and don't care about anything but your money. If you want to get the bike tuned to pass easier or increase the performance, take it to North Valley Honda or Walter @ ECS.

Do not remove your air filter! You will rsik getting crap into your carbs and risk damaging expensive parts. I think rigging an O2 line into the exhaust is illegal .:confused:

Your not going to leave out your airfilter for ever, Just long enough to pass the test a lot of bike you can do it in the parking lot or aeound the corner before you get tested and replace it right after.
Not much chance of hurting your motor, I seen this done a few times and it works. See my post. my :2cents:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts