Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Obviously stunting isnt "good" for your bike. But if done properly the wear is fairly minimal. However if you land a wheelie too hard you risk damaging your fork seals, and your steering bearings

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, its bad for your forks. Its unusually punishing to your forks and, even done properly MOST of the time, will eventually cause premature wear, damage or failure to your forks. It could NEVER fail, but you increase the odds of some type of damage.

·
Registered
489 Posts
when done properly, they are no problem. I've seen this questioned asked a million times. Usually by people who are just learning or who ride with morons. When PROPERLY executed, your wheelie landing should compress your shocks no more than going over a speed bump at the local hadji mart. Assuming you can actually ride out a wheelie, when you're done with it, you dont just let of the throttle and hammer the bitch into the ground. Tap your rear brake to bring it out of bp, then simply accellerate a bit and the wheel will gracefully fall back to the ground. I've done more highchairs and spreaders on my bike than I can count... ( thats me sitting on the tank when the wheelie comes down adding another 190 lbs and momentum) ...still on the same set of forks. The bike isn't built to be wheelied, so expect some where and tear... but just cause you toss up a wheelie here or there, doesn't mean you're definately gonna have to buy new forks. You should be more worried about looping than your forks. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I always landed my front end well on the throttle. You can't always land perfectly, sometimes, you need to bring the front down in a hurry... non the less, I probably had 10,000 miles of wheelies on the forks when they were beat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
well there ya have it. 10,000 miles is more than most people put on thier bikes before selling them nowadays anyhow. I'd like to think that 10k worth of wheelies is well worth the price of some new seals and a little oil (approx 45 bucks tops if you can do it yourself)

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
RoadStainR6 said:
well there ya have it. 10,000 miles is more than most people put on thier bikes before selling them nowadays anyhow. I'd like to think that 10k worth of wheelies is well worth the price of some new seals and a little oil (approx 45 bucks tops if you can do it yourself)
New seals ain't gonna fix metallic fork oil bro. That's completely beat forks.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Are you sure that the fluid didnt start out that color? Belray fork oil has a good blue tint to it.
I'm not sure where the metallic flakes would come from.. most of the metal wear is on the steering bearings, the forks absorb the impact thru hydraulics

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
veektor said:
...until you bottom them out. I can see how a lot of hard landings with light oil could cause some shavings to appear in the oil.
That was the real suprising part. at least in the case of my KYB's they dont bottom out by hitting metal to metal. Instead it forced oil into a small pocked to the point of hydraulic lock... I expected to see a rubber stop...

·
Registered
39 Posts
nnnnnope. not seeing the metallic flakes. I do see the BelRay fluid being almost metallic blue though. Bottoming out? Landing a wheelie hard will not bottom you out unless you pull a stoppie off a bridge hard in reverse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts