Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy some high-mileage tires, but I've had people tell me not to buy sport-touring tires because less grip could equal danger in the wrong situation, not just in cornering but in braking/swerving as well. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
577 Posts
you shouldn't have problems with sport tour tires, they just start to slide/spin a little easyer than full on sport compound, If you aren't riding on a race track @ race speeds you probably will not notice the differance.:2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The grip is pretty good, what you will notice a difference in is how much longer they take to warm up, and how much flatter the profile is, so it takes more effort to lean the bike.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Its not really a bad thing and the amount of effort while noticeable with different tires usually isnt enough to be of concern.

Different tires have different profiles and all "turn in" a bit differently. An hour or two on your new tire though and you will be acclimated to it and wont even notice.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Exactly, the difference is noticable, but not great. Its like going from say a 190 to a 180 tire. Or say from an old tire that had a serios case of a flat center worn on it to a new tire and nice and round...

Touring tires are "flatter" to provide more streight line stability, bigger contact patch, and wear resistance. Racing tires are more "triangular", they provide a greater contact patch leaned over than they do streight. They turn in very quick, and make the bike twitchy, they also wear a flat on them very quickly.

·
Registered
892 Posts
so what are the #'s on the sport tourings vs sport tires? i get about 5k outta my dunlop 208's what can i expect out of a sport touring?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Diablos last me about 2500-3k miles. T46 lasted 8k and had more to go, but I got a nail, and didnt feel like riding with a plug.
Count on at least double what you are getting...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any opinions on the Michelin Pilot Roads? I've been looking a lot at those. Is the leaned-over grip going to suffer much?

·
Registered
127 Posts
meat, you got 5000 miles out of a set of tires??? i`m thinkin thats waaayyy above what most folks get. i`m a old guy with nill for twisty roads and i got 2800 on my stock gixr bt014`s and that was a new record for me..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've gotten 4200 mi. out of my Dunlop BT-012SS tires and I've still got about 1000 mi. left on 'em, maybe more. I may have to toss them early because I've worn such a flat spot from commuting.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
We got over 10,000 miles out of the last back tyre on the 250.

Granted it was as square as a Rubik's Cube and was down into the wear bars but, hey, it was still going.

I should add that this tyre was punctured and repaired with a plug with less than 2,000 miles on it and was run up to 100mph (a few times ;) ).

·
Registered
526 Posts
going to try one

I was going to try one of those as I had a brand new pilot power with like 200 miles on it get screw thru it. but just didnt feel comfortable, I've heard a lot of good things on those patch plugs from people though. next time I may have to try it.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Yeah, there's been a lot of discussion on this board as to whether you should plug or replace. Each to their own. :thumb:

(We'd better get back on topic before we get flamed.)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sanders if your bike came STOCK with Bridgestone BT-012 that is quite a good tyre, regarding the sticky/soft part. I have seen a lot of Yamaha FZ6 bikes with BT-020 (remember the small the number the softer the compound) & that is a far cry from the Bridgestone they put on YZF-600r some yrs back.

The BT-012 is what I put on the FRONT of my 600, Honda 929 & 954 while BT-014 on the rear. Note preference is for more grip at the front & a bit less at the rear. The above two (or should I say "above six") are doing quite well.

By the way Bridgestone class the BT-020 as a Touring tyre, yet those with them on their Yamaha FZ6 bikes are quite pleased with them. So you could go for the BT-020!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts