• Quite a bit

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding the other day and noticed something move to my right, I look back and there is a pitbull chasing me. I'm in a residential area with a car ahead of me and my mom (who I'm still trying to get comfortable with me riding, let alone her on there with me) on my back seat. I slow down a little so the dog changes to a steeper attack angle and then roll on the throttle and leave him well behind (and scare the crap out of my mom). I got away from the dog just fine, but does anyone else have problems with the little mongrels?

Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Yeah they are pretty annoying. For one, I really dont want to hit a dog, I like the little critters too much. That, and if the dog is big enough I'm pretty sure he will take me down too.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any particular tactic that work well to avoid them?

Sepias

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I have more a of problem with deer, cats, low flying birds, possums, and rabbits then dogs. I killed a cat about a month or two ago on the bike and I just ran over a dead rabbit yesterday that I didnt see at 45mph .

Do you have any particular tactic that work well to avoid them?
Straight pipe will scare them off.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I live in a rural area. Any dog that starts chasing cars, bikes, kids etc doesn't have a long life expectancy.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It depends. Normally, I just roll off the throttle and roll it back on. The sudden loud burst from the exhaust seems to slow them down, if not stop then completely.

It just depends on the situation. If you see the dog first and he's running towards you it normally works, but if he darts out unseen it might be a different story.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JBaz said:
I have more a of problem with deer, cats, low flying birds, possums, and rabbits then dogs.
Funny you mention birds. I found out the hard way that helmet visors are rated for bird strike. I hit a bird (or mabey a bat, it was dusk and I couldn't see well) right on the visor at about 60mph. Sounded like a rock and left a nice streak across my helmet.

Sepias

·
Registered
746 Posts
I ran a dog over while his friend bite me on the leg while the owner was screaming... Then the owner came over and bitched me out for speeding and running over her "snugglekins" or whatever she named the little rat dog. I was doing between 15 - 20mph because my house was right there. I told her first of all I was going slower than the speed limit of 25, I almost wrecked my bike trying to miss your stupid dog, and your other dog bite me on the leg, so unless you want me to call the cops shut your fucking mouth.

My old neighbors just loved me!

It was a medium/small sized dog and I'm surprised I went over it as easy as I did. As for my pit, he's like a brick, you aren't going to roll over him...

-M-

·
Registered
295 Posts
JBaz said:
I have more a of problem with deer, cats, low flying birds, possums, and rabbits then dogs. I killed a cat about a month or two ago on the bike and I just ran over a dead rabbit yesterday that I didnt see at 45mph .

Straight pipe will scare them off.
what is that like while ur on the bike, cuz sure i jumped err went over the boards in the msf and such but since ive been driving ive avoided debri and such. just wondering what a cat at like 45 feels like

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
what is that like while ur on the bike, cuz sure i jumped err went over the boards in the msf and such but since ive been driving ive avoided debri and such. just wondering what a cat at like 45 feels like
a bit nut busting. I usually see things like that at the last second and in my thinking. Its better to hit the object head on then try to swirve at the last second and hit the object in a wrong way and wipe out.

So far my track record of kills has been a deer, cat, possum, and another cat in that order. The rabbit doesn't count as it was dead already. I haven't driven a year yet either. Gosh, can't wait till what I hit next year.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
A stray dog killed my sister! She tried to avoid it and crashed in to a tree.

My riding buddy is still recovering because of a stray dog. His accident was in January. Spent 2 months in intensive care. Broken neck, shattered pelvis, and 2 broken hands. He grabbed too much front brake and flipped his 999 on top of himself.

People really need to control their dogs, but there are no leash laws around here.

You always have to assume if you see an animal off to the side of the road that it will run in front of you. Don't panic but start looking for somewhere to go. Just make sure if you're gonna hit it that you HIT IT HARD and straight!!! If it's a dear or cow good luck :finger:

·
Registered
233 Posts
mac020 said:
A stray dog killed my sister! She tried to avoid it and crashed in to a tree.

My riding buddy is still recovering because of a stray dog. His accident was in January. Spent 2 months in intensive care. Broken neck, shattered pelvis, and 2 broken hands. He grabbed too much front brake and flipped his 999 on top of himself.

People really need to control their dogs, but there are no leash laws around here.

You always have to assume if you see an animal off to the side of the road that it will run in front of you. Don't panic but start looking for somewhere to go. Just make sure if you're gonna hit it that you HIT IT HARD and straight!!! If it's a dear or cow good luck :finger:
Wow man, sorry to hear about that. Those stories are eye opening to the very real danger of animals, I for one will keep a better eye out for them.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I seem to remember a posting not long about about riding and carrying a CCW. Maby we should all ride with a CCW and just shoot the animals before they get to us. It would solve the problem:twofinger

But seriously, people do need to get better control of their pets. Friggin invisible fences are dirt cheat so there is no excuse not to put one up if you dont want a fence. If you travel the back roads in FL there is a saying amoung most... If its in the road, its fair game. Beleive me, I've seen people in their mud bogging truck swerve to hit animals in the road. Its not nice or pretty, but thats a general attitude in some areas. Keep your pets under control if you move to rural FL:D

Sepias

·
Registered
295 Posts
JBaz said:
a bit nut busting. I usually see things like that at the last second and in my thinking. Its better to hit the object head on then try to swirve at the last second and hit the object in a wrong way and wipe out.

So far my track record of kills has been a deer, cat, possum, and another cat in that order. The rabbit doesn't count as it was dead already. I haven't driven a year yet either. Gosh, can't wait till what I hit next year.
what??? a deer how the hell can that be possible like if a truck hits a deer, the truck stops lol.... how could u hit a deer and be able to drive ?

·
Registered
892 Posts
ya i have problems with dog off leashes too but not on my bike. i have 2 german shepherds over 100lbs each, and more than once they have put loose dogs in their place. if the dog is off the leash then it is automaticaly the aggressor andit is in the wrong...thats why my boys havent been put down or anything. now dont get me wrong they aren't viscious animals just very protective about other dogs...great with ppl though.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
what??? a deer how the hell can that be possible like if a truck hits a deer, the truck stops lol.... how could u hit a deer and be able to drive ?
Story behind the deer incident. The deer only busted the plastics and radiator. Didn't fall, kept on going, but stopped at a gas station a mile down the road. Had to call a friend to truck the bike home as the radiator was leaking like mad.
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53342&highlight=deer

·
Registered
980 Posts
Actaully here in NY the motorcycle permit book covers dogs. It says to slow down a little to get around them, then accelerate away. One of the questions on my permit test asked what to do and one of the options was "kick it" I thought that was pretty funny. However around here there are leash laws so any unleashed dogs that get run over will be the owners problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dogs have never been a problem for me on a motorcycle. I guess I'm fortunate that none of my old neighbors (when I lived in a house with my parents) had crazy dogs. Currently I live in an apartment complex and have the bike stored elsewhere, so it is a rarity to be riding through a residential area.

Now, dogs were often a problem when I used to be an avid bicyclist. I would usually shift to the opposite side of the road or just speed up as much as possible to avoid them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts