Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is a 98' SuperHawk the same as a 02' SuperHawk? Has Honda made any refinements over the years or has the SuperHawk remained the same?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I think only guages have changed a little and fuel tank bumped up a little. One of the bike's main shortcomings is fuel consumption; plan on stopping every 100 miles for gas! ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
in 2001 honda changed the gauges ,ignition lock and color of fork legs and engine cases. from what i can tell that was about it. wasnt one of their biggest sellers so they just kinda left it alone like the old hawk gt .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same bike!

The Hawk is still the same as always. only slight cosmetic as mentioned above. the best looking change, in my opinion, are the new gauges. Everything else is the same. The one unique thing is that Black was only offered in 99, and has not been an option since.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's this about Carbon tank?

Is someone offering abigger aftermarket tank? I saw the mention of a carbon one. I have yet to meet a hawk owner who gets better than 100 miles to the tank.

·
Registered
322 Posts
First among these was a major increase in the fuel tank’s size. Now able to hold 19 litres of fuel—an increase of three litres and a slightly larger profile —the Firestorm offers a greatly extended range of riding distance between fuel stops.

That was direct from the Honda Australia site with regards to the 2001 model. It also mentioned a couple of minor tweaks here and there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
gauges

I ride a 99 and my buddy rides a 2001. I would have to look again to make sure I've seen all the differences; but the main ones are, Digital speedo (still analog tac), a clock(none on old model), and better trip computer. Also the shape is a little cooler. Instead of two seperate circles you get this overlapping look.

·
53 Posts
BobbyDazzler said:
First among these was a major increase in the fuel tank’s size. Now able to hold 19 litres of fuel—an increase of three litres and a slightly larger profile —the Firestorm offers a greatly extended range of riding distance between fuel stops.

That was direct from the Honda Australia site with regards to the 2001 model. It also mentioned a couple of minor tweaks here and there.
hawxter996 said:
direct quote from dealer,there were no changes to fuel tank from 1997 to 2002. would require retooling which on a slow selling bike is a no go.
You are both incorrect, to a degree. :D The 2001 "Firestorm" did get a bigger tank, but the 2001 "Superhawk" did not. Why the overseas market gets the bigger tank and the US does not is beyond me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
vtr's

The larger tank for the European spec Firestorm resulted in a slight loss of power... Honda USA said no to that, thus US models are unchanged. We also missed out on the Honda HISS anti-theft system, and a few other bits. Oh well. I still love my bike!

Mike
2001 VTR SuperHawk
Staintune Slipons
103.6 RWHP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts