Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ronnie Smith from Performance Bikes was killed riding his scooter last night near his home near Harrogate in North Yorkshire... it is believed no other vehicles were involved... apparently he came off the scooter around a corner and hit a parked car.

In the year when he did a 120 mph lap of the TT circuit, I was watching him on Saturday arvo on the DVD.

Real shame.

I kind of grew up reading Ronnie Smith raving on like a nutter.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Time to stow the landing gear?

That is one of the most amazing motorcycle photographs I have ever seen. He must have had the panniers filled with lead bars to get that thing to do that !!

I also heard that Maurice Gibb from the Bee Gees dies last night.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
A fark it !!

I just hope this is a case of mistaken whispers !!

I too have been following the Ronsters antics for as long as I can remember ..... and his mullet hair style inspired me more than once to follow suit (never found the balls mind) !!

Of the all the ways to go as well .... a farkin moped ?? .....

:crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
tragic! what a top bloke

I will never forget his report on Uk riding schools where he pretended to be a newbie all day and then sat on the handle bars and wheelied past the instructor at the end of the day.

What a star!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sad news

In the World Endurance paddocks he was well loved as an irreverent joker who, nonetheless, knew how to ride fast. He had visited me many times in the commentary booth at various 24 hour races in Europe - no matter that the booths were built for two and there were already 5 people inside...he was a great laugh, a good friend, a wicked rider and getting faster year on year (UK riders are like good wines).

Simon "Ronnie" Smith has touched hearts around the world and he would be extremely surprised at the level of sympathy his death has generated throughout the world. The RaceCorporation website has seen ten times as many people visiting to find out news about Ronnie, not only from the UK and the States but also from such diverse places as Finland, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Greece, Sweden, Saudi Arabia, Iceland, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Slovenia...the list is long and impressive.

"Ronnie" will be laid to rest in a small family service in North Yorkshire on Saturday afternoon at 1pm UK time.

We can't all be there in person but most of us will be there in spirit.

Clive McNeil
Eurosport/Octagon race commentator
www.racecorporation.co.uk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That's sad news...

Didn't he come up with the Roundabout helmet??

Sounds like he was a real cunny funt.....

"During his last 40 minute stint on the Alfs/Motormax ZX9R the end of the 2002 Le Mans round, when all the other riders were keeping their heads down in the rain, Ronnie was hoisting large wheelies down the start/finish straight to loud cheers every lap, keeping the massed hordes of sodden, mainly French spectators hugely entertained - this after 24 hours of racing."

What a legend!! Will be missed... :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fund for Ronnie

Ronnie's funeral will be held at 1pm Saturday, 18th January at St. Mary's Church in Masham, North Yorkshire (on the A6108 off A1 North of Ripon)

Ex-Performance Bikes editor Mark Forsyth is planning to set up a fund to help Ronnie’s partner Jane and two children, Harry and Fred. Mark is no longer with Motorcycle News, so anyone wanting to make donations can contact the Motcycle News Office Administrator [email protected] (the main UK motorcycle paper Motorcycle News - www.motorcyclenews.co.uk ) for more details.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fitting resting place

Masham in North Yorkshire is the home of Thigstons brewery and the Masham Inn was a regular haunt of mine in the X7 and 350 LC days. Its a grand place to rest on a sunny afternoon, I suspect he will get many visitoirs.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Great resting place

The fact that i was born in North Yorkshire has nothing to do with it.

Would a whip round by SBR be appropriate?? Anybody??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Donations

Many thanks to everyone who responded...I will be attending the funeral on Saturday and will pass on your kind words to his family.

I must say that I'm amazed at the huge response worldwide, my website has registered a 10-fold increase in visits wanting information. On Sunday I'll update it to tell you all how the funeral went.

Regarding donations, I needn't have to say it really but at this time they are particularly needed for Jane and the children to appreciate the high regard we had for Ronnie and how much he was loved by the biking world. I also have some ideas of raising funds for the family and I'll keep everyone posted.

Clive McNeil
http://www.racecorporation.co.uk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Great resting place

bigphil said:
The fact that i was born in North Yorkshire has nothing to do with it.

Would a whip round by SBR be appropriate?? Anybody??
How about a few pints while we raise funds, BSB video night next Wednesday at Molly's 50 bucks entrance fee and a raffle, all proceeds to RS ?

How ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ronnie's fund manager

After calling Motorcycle News regarding Ronnie's fund, have found out that it is NOT Mark Forsyth who will be administering it, as he's no longer with EMAP

The correct email address to discuss donations is the MCN Office Manager, Sally Barker at [email protected]

We are also trying to arrange with FM Helmets for a special "Magic Roundabout" helmet to be made for auction...I'll know more after the funeral on Saturday and post information here and on the website.

Many apologies for the confusion and thanks for all your help and messages!

Clive McNeil

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Re: Donations

razorrace said:
Regarding donations, I needn't have to say it really but at this time they are particularly needed for Jane and the children to appreciate the high regard we had for Ronnie and how much he was loved by the biking world. I also have some ideas of raising funds for the family and I'll keep everyone posted.

Clive McNeil
Clive,

If you have a few paragraphs you would like to write about donations please do and I will post the message on our front page for everyone to read.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: Ronnie's fund manager

razorrace said:
We are also trying to arrange with FM Helmets for a special "Magic Roundabout" helmet to be made for auction...I'll know more after the funeral on Saturday and post information here and on the website.
Well I knew I knew who he was, but I didn't realise that I had "known" him for so long until you mentioned the Magic Roundabout.

Raffle and Beers and stuff at Mollys to see what we can do from here sounds good to me, and of course our deepest condolences from Singapore.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Re: Re: Great resting place

Tug said:
How about a few pints while we raise funds, BSB video night next Wednesday at Molly's 50 bucks entrance fee and a raffle, all proceeds to RS ?

How ?
I'm in, fab idea .... must have been Lensy that come up with that .. ya poof !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts