Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for us in the u.s. of a (the land of four strokes), they're not street legal, but seem like a fun little bike. they are popular here for track days and racing. never rode one.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I live in the Uk and get my license back in March 2001, Im seriously
considering getting a bike for getting to work and riding out at weekends
with my wife and freinds.

Im looking for something fairly light and quick, with good handling and easy
to ride. Im not that experienced a rider, and have recently dropped my mates
ZX-R6 at 2mph trying to turn it round on hill and a bad cambered path,
(Thats my excuse and Im sticking to it - anyonne knows where I can pick up a
l/h side fairing panel on the cheap, for one of these, let me know! - in the
UK)

Iv'e always had commuter bikes apart from a Yamaha RD125LC, which wasn't
bad - light - quick enough (10 years ago when I was young) but now have
freinds with sports bikes. What do people think of the Aprillia RS250 - it
looks great and have been told it's quick and comfy, maybe not for the wife,
but that will hopefully put her off wanting to come out every weekend :)
(Sorry girls, could be a guy on the back and I be just as against it).

Has anybody ridden one, what are they like - any reviews or ideas would be
useful!

Cheers

James McCartney

------------------
Be Happy,
James

·
Registered
13 Posts
How come there not legal in the U.S. - surely if you can get them with lights and fully legal in europe u should be able to them in U.S.

Iv'e been told that acceleration is extremely good - my freinds ZXr-6 was awesome and apparently these will keep up with to about 6- 70mph - good enough for the bendy countryside roads here in the UK - there supposed to really light also - knee down stuff!

Anyway - if anyone should know anything more about them , let me know...

James

------------------
Be Happy,
James

·
Registered
28 Posts
Performance Bikes did a review of one a wee while back. I've never ridden one but it's my dream bike. sytuck in the U.S. just now so can't do it, though.

Anyway, PB described it as probably the most fun bikes they'd ever ridden. They also said it would be nigh on imposible to ride one without getting tickets on a regular basis.

Don't know how comfy they are, but if you're in the U.K. nothing really is all that far away, so imagine it shouldn't be too much trouble.

I WISH they were street legal here.

------------------
Austin Bikers on the Web

·
Registered
503 Posts
well stupid.. we have lots of tree huggers here in the states.. it seems they are to hugly to get hugs from things that get run away so they have to hug trees. there for we cant have 2 strokes due to the emmisions. in fact in california, 4 strokes are detuned & restricted even further to improve emmisions... but i do know of a couple of people who have grey market imports or have put lights, mirrors, & plates on some 2 strokes & rode on the street.

------------------

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
There is one RS250 on the street in Tallahassee. You just have to know who to talk to, actually I think he has it registered as an F2 with DHSMV. I have seen him zipping around town. I sat on one in Greece a couple years ago, not the most comfortable (I am 6'3") but would buy one if I had the spare cash.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there are ways to get around everything. i spent some time looking for a street-legal tzr250, and everyone i found was registered as an fzr400 or fzr600.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can't buy a 2-stroke streetbike in the U.S., but you can run a 10 year old 2-stroke lawnmower or weedeater that puts out more pollution in 10 minutes than a well-tuned street 2-stroke puts out all day. Oh $hit, I better keep my mouth shut or they'll come get my old mower.

Hopefully with the coming cleaner 2-stroke technology we will once again see 2-stroke bikes in the U.S.

Later,
Eric

------------------

·
Registered
193 Posts
The only 2 strokers that are legal here are 50cc bikes and any 2 stroker built in 1986 or earlier. If there is so many miles already on the bike it might be able to be registered for street use here. I found a 96 RS250 in street trim with title and reg for sale for $8600 in Ohio.
They are quite strange to ride. The one I test rode, well was set up for racing though, felt like riding a bicycle. Had to keep the revs up in the corners and try to be as fast and smooth as possible with it. One thing I wasn't told before I went out on the track is you dont need two fingers for the front brake. One works great. I hit the brakes with two and damn near went over the bars.

------------------
Rob
97 YZF750R
93 CBR F2 (race)
Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery.

www.geocities.com/yzfrob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts