Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or two ago I got stuck riding the girlfriend's R6 home in the rain. It was bitter cold and raining pretty hard. My big problem wasn't presented by the low temps, but by the rain itself. I was having a really hard time seeing anything on the road other than brakelights from the car infront of me.

I was wondering if anyone had treater a helmet visor with Rain X or something similar? How much does it help (if any)? Is it worth trying?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
o|||||||o said:
A week or two ago I got stuck riding the girlfriend's R6 home in the rain. It was bitter cold and raining pretty hard. My big problem wasn't presented by the low temps, but by the rain itself. I was having a really hard time seeing anything on the road other than brakelights from the car infront of me.

I was wondering if anyone had treater a helmet visor with Rain X or something similar? How much does it help (if any)? Is it worth trying?
I had a buddy that used it with minimal benefit. His thought was that rain-x was made to be used on glass and no plastic. For him it wasn't worth the trouble for the benefit it gave.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Anyone using RainX on the helmet?

Tippmann said:
I had a buddy that used it with minimal benefit. His thought was that rain-x was made to be used on glass and no plastic. For him it wasn't worth the trouble for the benefit it gave.
Good to know!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jamesjweg said:
Don't bother with rainx doesn't work to good, use a good foaming glass cleaner, and a little elbow grease often.

James.
Yeah, I do that now... I was looking for a little something more.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Two answers being FIRST that one must keep their visor CLEAN & NO SCRATCHES.

Second would be by keeping the visor above cleaned constantly. One can use Plexus, SlipStreamer, most plastic protectant materials like Armor-all, 303, & such to even Pledge.

I do this each time I come home from a ride & ALWAYS use a clean cotten piece of cotten (often one of my many retired T-shirts). On the hwy I will clean the above again at half-way point to even more often if I am bing splattered by bugs FOR I carry one of the cleaning liquids & rags under my seat. DO NOT use the same rag time & time again for they are so easy to wash by hand & AVOID the normal paper rags as they will scratch the plastic visor. I have something like 10 or 12 cotten rags around all the time.

So you are going to say "--but this was rain----" & I will agree that rain is a bummer, STILL with a clean visor & with the speed up a bit just turning the head left or right & most of the rain (which is also road crap thowen by cages) will run off WITH a well cleaned visor for it will be slippery.

At home I use Pledge & that also allows me to put more of it on the helmet itself & they look 100% new with no scratches.

Said visors can last a long time if the above is done. For instance I have a 1 yr old & believe it is a 3 - 4 yr old Shoei only fitted with visors that are around 6 yrs old while the new ones are stored away for future use.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smitty said:
Two answers being FIRST that one must keep their visor CLEAN & NO SCRATCHES.

Second would be by keeping the visor above cleaned constantly. One can use Plexus, SlipStreamer, most plastic protectant materials like Armor-all, 303, & such to even Pledge.

I do this each time I come home from a ride & ALWAYS use a clean cotten piece of cotten (often one of my many retired T-shirts). On the hwy I will clean the above again at half-way point to even more often if I am bing splattered by bugs FOR I carry one of the cleaning liquids & rags under my seat. DO NOT use the same rag time & time again for they are so easy to wash by hand & AVOID the normal paper rags as they will scratch the plastic visor. I have something like 10 or 12 cotten rags around all the time.

So you are going to say "--but this was rain----" & I will agree that rain is a bummer, STILL with a clean visor & with the speed up a bit just turning the head left or right & most of the rain (which is also road crap thowen by cages) will run off WITH a well cleaned visor for it will be slippery.

At home I use Pledge & that also allows me to put more of it on the helmet itself & they look 100% new with no scratches.

Said visors can last a long time if the above is done. For instance I have a 1 yr old & believe it is a 3 - 4 yr old Shoei only fitted with visors that are around 6 yrs old while the new ones are stored away for future use.
Thanks for the info!:thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
i'm pretty sure the rainx package said specifically not to use it on plastic,

·
Registered
370 Posts
FYI to those who use rain-x, I have used is from time to time after a cleaning if I KNOW that I'll be riding in the rain in the next couple of days. I have noticed a slight difference in the screen clearing but not enough to make go out and buy the stuff (I steal it from my brother). Smitty's explanation works! I ride in the rain all the time (no cage-no choice)

Rain-X recently changed there formula, and it is DEFINITLY NOT to be used on plastic!!! I watch as my buddy scrub for an hour trying to get the new stuff off, which completely screwed his visor. :eek: :eek: :crying: :crying:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts