Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tire is losing air. About 5 PSI per day. Tire is in good shape (4600 miles) with no visible holes or screws or nails..etc...

Has anyone used fix-a-flat or Slime on a front tire?
Is this OK to do or highly unadvisable?

Thanks in advance, troops :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Crescent Fresh said:
My front tire is losing air. About 5 PSI per day. Tire is in good shape (4600 miles) with no visible holes or screws or nails..etc...

Has anyone used fix-a-flat or Slime on a front tire?
Is this OK to do or highly unadvisable?

Thanks in advance, troops :confused:
I'd only use any of those products in an emergency, and if ya do use em, make sure that you have the wheel checked for balance.

One thing ya might do..is check the valve...sometimes they can work loose, so ya retighten, and your good to go...:D

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I wouldn't want to take a tire that is losing air out for any kind of hard riding. Partly because it might fail, and partly because I'd be thinking about it every time I took a turn. And your tires aren't what you should be thinking about in that situation:2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Tippmann said:
I wouldn't want to take a tire that is losing air out for any kind of hard riding. Partly because it might fail, and partly because I'd be thinking about it every time I took a turn. And your tires aren't what you should be thinking about in that situation:2cents:
Yup, me too...But He does have 4600 miles on that pup, and it's still in good shape..??? I get about 3000 miles out of a frt tire max on the street, so maybe he doesn't ride that hard..:D

No offence to the poster...just stating my :2cents:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Generally, the bike sees little hard riding. I work 45 miles from home, so most miles are highway. Even the rear tire is in good shape.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I put this stuff in the rear tire of my two bikes that NAPA sells, it comes in like a 32 oz bottle. Looks like Elmer's Glue. Used by the State Patrol here and elsewhere. Put it in a healthy tire, when you get a hole, it plugs the hole. I got tired of getting nail and screw hole flat tires, mostly in the middle of Bumfuck, Egypt. Stuff has caused zero problems as far as balance issues, and no more flats. Plus peace of mind when I am riding across Texas or the middle of Oregon over some mountain pass in 100 degree weather or pouring rain.

But an air leak of 5psi/day is not anything to belittle, it is a significant leak tha either the valve stem is leaking or there is a hole somewhere. If I already have a hole with a leak, I fix it with a tire plug and try to buy a new tire when I get around to it.

:2cents:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I've been fighting a leak in my cage's tire the past two weeks that leaks VERY slowly, and here's what I've learned about holes in tires:

1) Always, always, always get it plugged AND patched, if you're not going to fit a new tire.
2) Do the work yourself or have it done at a QUALITY location.
3) Sidewall holes ends the life of any tire.
4) Any liquid put into the tire that "instantly fixes flats" will cost you more to have removed when you get your tire replaced (assuming you don't do it yourself).

#4 is true, at least, in my neck of the woods. I will guess that fuster might not experience that, or he wouldn't be using whatever that solution is, or he thinks the $ trade-off is worth it (and it might be!).

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't ever use that stuff in the bike, if I get a flat on the road I'll plug it and ride home nice and easy, then I replace the tire asap. Sounds to me like a good excuse to jump for another set a rubber. But then again it prolly is the stem.

James.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't use that stuff. The thought of having a defective tire would just freak me out especially if I am leaned hard in a twistie. I would get it really fixed and not rely on some chemical to "fix" the integrity of my tire.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
i wouldn't use it in either my cage or my bike tires. like Kanwisch said, "any liquid put into the tire that 'instantly fixes flats' will cost you more to have removed when you get your tire replaced". the stuff cakes up on your rims and is also flammable and explosive so shops typically have to take extra precaution to remove your tire and its dangerous.

i'd take the tire off the bike and bring it to a shop and have them try to find the leak if you can't. i wouldn't ride it the way it is. unlike a car, you only have 2 tires on a bike and if one blows as your riding you can very easily go down.

my analysis would be to weigh the options...fix a tire or fix a bike after i go down. i'd rather fix the tire.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In answer to the possible leak from the tyre valve is easy to spot. Simply put a bit of salava, like from one's tongue to their forefinger & then over said exposed valve.

It if forms a bubble very quickly & pops then there is your missing air, if very slow to bubble then yes again that could be the answer.

The thread in right handed. Still to get in at it requires the reverse of the metal caps which are slotted to do the job. If that does not work, then obtain a new valve, put it in, pump up the tyre, do the above test & if no bubble then you should be okay ONLY keep on checking said tyre for the next few weeks plus.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Kanswich, I use it in the rears of my bikes for a reason, and the tradeoff regarding the mess inside the tire is that I get flats way out in the middle of nowhere on trips and although I can fix it with a plug and have done that each time I have had a flat, I can ride for a long time and not even know the tire is going flat, which on a curvy road is dangerous.

Since I tend to not notice, my safety overrides the hassle of removing this stuff from my tire. The other reason is that the entire WA State Patrol fleet uses this in all their tires of their cars, and I assume their bikes (but don't know the latter for sure). It keeps you from even having to top off your tire pressure during the season (maybe a pound but that is it), although I still recommend checking each time you ride. That also makes it a desireable product to me. It is not the same as the crap in the pressurized cans they sell for fixing flats once they happen.

But, you know, if you do not have problems with flats, go without it. I consider it cheap insurance, and I am going to put it in the tires of my wife's car too.

I do agree that tire places frown on using material that coats the inside of the tire (one of my friends is a Goodyear dealer with three stores around here). but it is mainly because it can make it hard to find a hole from the inside and that when they remove a tire from a rim the air pops out and sprays the stuff on the tire technician. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
scootieroo said:
I wouldn't use that stuff. The thought of having a defective tire would just freak me out especially if I am leaned hard in a twistie. I would get it really fixed and not rely on some chemical to "fix" the integrity of my tire.
Yeah, what he said.:D

Now you guys have me thinking. WTF do you do when you are on a long cruise, hundreds of miles from anywhere and you get a slow leak or worse a flat. I have been lucky so far, but, heck what would you do? It's not like fix a flat fits in my compartment.

·
Registered
243 Posts
DocThee said:
Yeah, what he said.:D

Now you guys have me thinking. WTF do you do when you are on a long cruise, hundreds of miles from anywhere and you get a slow leak or worse a flat. I have been lucky so far, but, heck what would you do? It's not like fix a flat fits in my compartment.
Well, for those of us who own BMW's there is always BMW MOA anonymous book under the seat and a cell/sat phone in the tank bag. ;) Maybe we could start such a book without a brand connection? Persoally I'd go in for anyone on two wheels needing help. hmmmmm, anybody else up for that? maybe connected to this site, and sportbikes.com? what ya think? BTW, for those of you not familiare with the BMWMOA anonymous book, it's a small book organized by state/town, with phone numbers by town, and some letters indicating how much help the person on the other end of that number is willing to render, no names in the book, just numbers and what you'll do.

James.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I ride, and I am sure at least the BMW riders do too, in places where there is NO cell phone service, so a cell phone is useless.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
James:

Thanks for those links. I like using the stuff I have in my tires, it has kept me flat free. Cheaper than the satellite service, and no waiting.

Just curious, though, do you use that (satellite svc.)? I am assuming you do.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
jamesjweg said:
Well, for those of us who own BMW's there is always BMW MOA anonymous book under the seat and a cell/sat phone in the tank bag. ;) Maybe we could start such a book without a brand connection? Persoally I'd go in for anyone on two wheels needing help. hmmmmm, anybody else up for that? maybe connected to this site, and sportbikes.com? what ya think? BTW, for those of you not familiare with the BMWMOA anonymous book, it's a small book organized by state/town, with phone numbers by town, and some letters indicating how much help the person on the other end of that number is willing to render, no names in the book, just numbers and what you'll do.

James.

Hmmm...some sort of SBW I'm-in-a-jam-and-need-help-registry. Not bad.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts