Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one that I'm doing up for my nephew . I'm thinking RC51 colors and graffix, black wheels ,Sargents seat job, and I have a pair of small carbon cans from an Indego system. Any suggestions?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes !!! That's what I'm looking for . I need a seat cowl and the side cowls. I can't find them anywhere. Any help would be apreciated. Your bikes look really cool.:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Lord Duckhunter said:
You are kidding, right? I love it when people claim their bikes are so fast... every 250 website I see there this some idot claiming that with "a little jetting and a pipe" they can keep up with the 600's. I have to laugh. No 250 will EVER keep up with the 600cc class sportbikes. Jetting is no replacement for displacement. Live in the now people!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AHHH a tough guy ,aye??? I'll whip out a 74 CB 100 with a K&N and a sawed off pipe. We'll just see ,big boy...:twofinger
:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
I was considering supercharging my VTR250..My brother in Law assured me that a modest 5lb boost would not be harsh on the engine, but would provide a decent horse power bonus.
Way better than jetting etc..
I didn't go any further because of the fact that the suspension was pretty basic and for the money to upgrade, I might as well just get a 600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
250 vs 600

Kerry

I have a street legal1992 NSR250se with 72hp at the rear wheel and weighs in at 275 pounds..Pipes.tyga reeds with carbon petals, jetting, modified airbox ..I regularly put it to 600's on the street and trackdays. They start pulling away after 125mph or so but how often does that situation come up??

The rs and tz 250's are regularly hitting 170+ mph on the track with a well tuned one quite capable of 185. and 100 rw hp! The 250's can corner 15+% faster than the 600's..

Cant say I would go for a 4stroke 250 doing the same though...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Re: 250 vs 600

dirkmc3 said:
Kerry

I have a street legal1992 NSR250se with 72hp at the rear wheel and weighs in at 275 pounds..Pipes.tyga reeds with carbon petals, jetting, modified airbox ..I regularly put it to 600's on the street and trackdays. They start pulling away after 125mph or so but how often does that situation come up??

The rs and tz 250's are regularly hitting 170+ mph on the track with a well tuned one quite capable of 185. and 100 rw hp! The 250's can corner 15+% faster than the 600's..

Cant say I would go for a 4stroke 250 doing the same though...:D
I agree, the 2-stroke 250's are bad ass bikes. But we weren't talking about GP bikes, on the contrary, we were talking about EX-250's and VTR250s. "Jetting and a little air box mods" are not going to improve this little bike enough to run with any bikes other than EX-250's and VTR250's. Besides the gutless engine and low torque, the suspension sucks, there really isn't any lean angle that you CAN'T drag hard parts, etc.

Now the GP 250's, those are some bikes! Light weight and lots of power. Most don't run well down long straights, but there are few bikes that can keep up in the corners. They hold ungodly corner speed.
 

·
Honda Moderator
Joined
·
458 Posts
This is an excellent example of a person not knowing what the hell they are talking about pretending to be an expert.

I have not only owned & built more than half a dozen VTR250's, but just recently sold my Aprilia 250gp bike so I am well versed in what comparisons I can make. In additon I work on everything from Turbo Hayabusa's to 900RR's to Gixxers to my beloved RC51 & can explicitly state that I am a fairly good judge of what a bike is capable both in terms of outright engine performance & road handling characteristics. In the right package the "light is right" concept is way more important than pure horsepower.

I can assure that the 4 stroke VTR250 even with stock suspension is more than a match for many of the larger bikes. The cornerspeed you can carry on these is almost rediculous & your comment about dragging hard parts is total BS. Had you ever ridden a VTR250 especiallly one with a 140 section rear tire you would know that you can literally lean one down until the foot pegs fold completely up & still won't touch any hard parts of the bike on the asphalt.


I'm not here to tell you that a VTR250 is going to smoke a CBR600 in a straight line, but I will tell you that if you don'ttake them seriously that from stoplight to stoplight the little bike with a good launch will give the bigger bikes pure hell. Add to that the fact that you can weave in & out of the lines on the road at 80mph without ever touching one & you have a very nimble little bike that can take just about any line it wants to through the twisties.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Just got the bike wieghed to see where she sits with new bodywork and a set of "one off" Tommy Crawford chambers...tips the scale at 262 with a half tank of gas. Should have her on the dyno in a few weeks to fine tune.

ZZZZZZIIIIING!

I cant say I would expect a quarter litre 4 stroke to keep up on a straight...but I would imagine the VTR in particular would hold pretty good cornerspeed. Looks to have a better geometry and lighter wieght than the EX250. With the right setup and a good rider, most would be suprised at what a bike can do ! I have an 86 VF1000R ...630 pounds and tourqe from hell. I have a nicely tuned front end and I tell ya...I cant fathom draging my knees on that thing !!! The very idea unnerves me... BUT...Fast freddy did it with ease back then...

I would be interested in seing what one of the litle V twin 4 strokes could do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Lord Duckhunter said:
This is an excellent example of a person not knowing what the hell they are talking about pretending to be an expert.

I have not only owned & built more than half a dozen VTR250's, but just recently sold my Aprilia 250gp bike so I am well versed in what comparisons I can make. In additon I work on everything from Turbo Hayabusa's to 900RR's to Gixxers to my beloved RC51 & can explicitly state that I am a fairly good judge of what a bike is capable both in terms of outright engine performance & road handling characteristics. In the right package the "light is right" concept is way more important than pure horsepower.

I can assure that the 4 stroke VTR250 even with stock suspension is more than a match for many of the larger bikes. The cornerspeed you can carry on these is almost rediculous & your comment about dragging hard parts is total BS. Had you ever ridden a VTR250 especiallly one with a 140 section rear tire you would know that you can literally lean one down until the foot pegs fold completely up & still won't touch any hard parts of the bike on the asphalt.


I'm not here to tell you that a VTR250 is going to smoke a CBR600 in a straight line, but I will tell you that if you don'ttake them seriously that from stoplight to stoplight the little bike with a good launch will give the bigger bikes pure hell. Add to that the fact that you can weave in & out of the lines on the road at 80mph without ever touching one & you have a very nimble little bike that can take just about any line it wants to through the twisties.
Terribly sorry to have ever questioned your expertise. I find it funny that you have no clue who I am or anything about me, yet you accuse me of not knowing anything about bikes. Glad to know you are so knowledgable about bikes, you definately have worked on some beauties from the sounds of it. But that doesn't mean you are an expert. Nor does that mean you have any clue what you are talking about. I know many mechanics that can't slap their ass with both hands, yet still find a way to maintain a job. So your "resume" doesn't impress me. I too have been working on bikes for over 20 years. Been riding for over 25 years. I have also been working on race bikes for the last few years. I guess in all that time I didn't learn anything, bummer.

Yes, I have ridden a few different VTRs. I have helped a few friends learn to ride on VTRs. Anytime you want to take you VTR to the track let me know and we will see how big and bad those bikes are. If they are such great race bikes, I wonder why no one races them. Tell you what, to make it a better comparison, you can ride you "souped up VTR" and I will find something smaller like a GS500 or maybe an EX500. Stoplight to stoplight? Are you kidding? In reality, a VTR is a great starter bike and even makes a hellluva commuter. But if you are looking for something to go dancing through the canyons, there are much better bikes out there. I will be sitting back waiting for Nicky Haden to start racing the new VTR250 gp bike.

On a side note, you do have a very nice RC51. One of the many bikes I would like in my collection. Hopefully someday.
 

·
Honda Moderator
Joined
·
458 Posts
Rand McNally said:
Anytime you want to take you VTR to the track let me know and we will see how big and bad those bikes are. If they are such great race bikes, I wonder why no one races them. Tell you what, to make it a better comparison, you can ride you "souped up VTR" and I will find something smaller like a GS500 or maybe an EX500. Stoplight to stoplight? Are you kidding? Live in you fantasy world. In reality, a VTR is a great starter bike and even makes a hellluva commuter. But if you are looking for something to go dancing through the canyons, there are much better bikes out there. I will be sitting back waiting for Nicky Haden to start racing the new VTR250 gp bike.



There are still several on the race tracks, but the #1 reason you don't see many of them being raced is because they were only made for 3 years (89-90) add to that the classes for 250cc 4 stroke machines are few & far between to begin with & you simply aren't going to see a whole lot of them on the track, hell you don't even see very many of them on the street.

Your challenge on the racetrack is totally uncalled for as is your spew that there are better bikes out there for canyon carving. Just because you prefer a larger more powerful bike does not mean everyone feels the same.

As for your statement that a VTR250 makes a great starter bike. Well I have disagree to a certain extent. Replacement parts are both very rare & very expensive, furthermore the handling of the bike is so quick that it is very disillusioning to new riders & can easily catch them out. The GS500, EX500 or SV650 would be more appropriate examples of "good" starter bikes as the VTR250's allow the rider to do things on the roads that larger bikes simply cannot do. Do the math on the power to weight & you will find that the VTR250 is 1:10, the GS500 is 1:8 & the EX500 is 1:7 all pretty close to striking distance within each other where a better launch from the light can make all the difference. To discount the bikes ability merely based on size shows a firm lack of experience in this arena.

It should also be noted that you can drop an additional 10lbs off the VTR250 by removing the steel brackety that supports the turn signals, even more if you are removing the passenger pegs etc... Aftermarket exhausts reduce weight even further, but the same holds true for the GS & EX so all in all the ratios remain fairly constant in relation to each other.

In closing I will say after having tuned the carbs on all those models of bikes for years that due to the restrictive nature of the Honda tuning on the VTR250 it responds the best in terms of increasing engine performance with jetting, exhaust & airbox mods. I've gained as much as 6hp over stock tuning a VTR250 & the power curve remains linear whereas I can also get 5-6hp out of an EX500 with a stage III kit, but the power curve isn't quite as good in some areas as it was before.

We've probably spent more energy arguing the merits of these bikes than they make in horsepower, but it has been mildly entertaining.
 

·
Honda Moderator
Joined
·
458 Posts
Resurrection! After 13 years I decided to build up another VTR250 :D








Sure is welcome change to the big bikes I have been throwin around for the last decade

 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
One thing's for certain. No cage driver could possibly claim, "I just didn't see him." :twofinger

Welcome back.
 

·
Honda Moderator
Joined
·
458 Posts
Spiegler Brake Line fitted and some more scenic pics :)







Still to come will be the lightened flywheel, the tank painted black & I scored some OEM Japanese Spec flushmounts that mount in the upper fairing like these:



 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
Those flush mounts I've never seen before. They look great! And I really like the can on it.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top