Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just gave me a Hornady progressive reloader. He bought it 2 years ago and has never used it. I am studying up on the reloading process (some thing to do, when I can't ride...aka Winter). I thought I would ask here if anyone else reloads their own, so I will know who to ask for tips.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I used to about 10-15 years ago, so I might be a little rusty. (Ok, maybe a LOT rusty) :)

G

·
My Gun is SELF-RELOADING :D It usually takes an hour, but if the conditions are right , It's ready to fire immediately :D :p

·
Registered
560 Posts
Howdy,
Pick up a few reloading manuals before you dive in. Also get ahold of Natchez Shooters Supply in Chattanoga (sp) for supplies. Great prices and knowledgable staff. IMHO you need an electronic scale to really accurately measure your powder charges. DO NOT space out or allow distractions whilst reloading. Very bad stuff happens when you double charge a load.
Good luck,
Kevin Schaller

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Everything Kevin(Tahoe) said. No distractions, get the manuals, good quiet and clean place.

I reload 9mm ammo. I haven't done it in a couple of years but plan to load some soon. In case Gore wins. :rolleyes::D:p Just kidding. Secret Service may be monitoring. LOL

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yikes John!
Just a tad conservative, 'eh?
One of the old John Birch Society guys from Orange County maybe?
Actually I prefer sub-sonic .45's with XTC fragmented jacketed hollowpoints 190-200 grn. These knock down well and don't have as great a risk of collateral damage as a result of over-penetration. :rolleyes:

Glock model 30.

And yes, I would fly in an aircraft built by Harley. I also LOVE their stock performance NYSE symbol HDI.

Cheers,
Kev

G

·
Tahoe said:
Glock model 30.

The "Big Dawg", eh, Kevin? ;) Got Colt, Para-Ordinance, and HK in .45ACP, but not the Glock. Love my G27 in .40S&W, though.

Double ditto on the "no distractions" while reloading. I've done a bit of reloading with a shooting buddy, but it's one of those hobbies that's still on my personal "to do" list.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a 21 too, but it's just too big for concealed carry. Nevada only lets you put 2 pieces on your permit so I opted for the 30 and a little S&W Centenial (hammerless 38+P airweight)

When I go "big" I tend to venture towards the .300 win mag, but darn they're tough to carry on the bike. :p

Bikes and shootin do mix, 'eh?

Ride safe!
Kev

·
Registered
517 Posts
I never have any reloading problems. Well, sometimes the bb's spill out of the little carton instead of running down into my Daisy Red Rider lever action rifle. I've even got leather tassles. Bet your Glock doesn't have leather tassles, does it tough guy.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I1cbr,
I have the RCBS carousel which is about the same as yours(I think). The only problem I've had is the powder measurement being somewhat inconsistant. What calibers are you using. What type of shooting?

Mike

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be reloading 44mag, 9mm and possibly .45. I stopped at a local Gun store yesterday to check out some prices. I will need to get the die sets for the 44 and 9. The guy at the shop said I could use the RCBS die set as they are interchangeable. I use them for target shooting.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
LOL Scotty. You'll put your eye out. Bet your Red Rider doesn't fit in your tank bag though :D . Maybe you could make a holster for it like Arnold. :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rug Burn said:
LOL Scotty. You'll put your eye out. Bet your Red Rider doesn't fit in your tank bag though :D . Maybe you could make a holster for it like Arnold. :D
Nah, I just strap it to my back. Damn liberals can have my Red Rider when they pry it from my dead hands. Bastards! Charleton Heston is my president!

G

·
Speaking of BB guns, my dad would not allow me or my brother to have them on the basis that they were not very powerful, and firing a hard metal projectile, were susceptible to ricocheting. He let us have Benjamin pellet guns instead. Two days after that Christmas, my brother was in the hospital having a .22 caliber pellet removed from his foot (shot himself through his boot on accident). But I digress. Last year, for Christmas, I bought my son (5 yrs old then) a Daisy Red Rider. So out we go on Christmas morning, in the backyard, to shoot into my homemade BB trap. Don't ask me what the BB hit, but on about his 5th shot, the BB ricocheted back and nailed him in the leg. Stung the crap out of him, and we both cracked up laughing. His mother didn't find too much humor in it, though. When they say "fathers know best", I can safely assume they aren't talking about me! :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Make sure Child Protective Services doesn't hear about that or you'll be branded an abusive parent by the politically correct nazis. I've got two lads 12 & 11 that learned to shoot early in life. My oldest lad can amuse himself for hours with a brick of .22's. Little guy is a deadeye too. I escaped California 4 years ago so my kids would grow up in a rural environment and away from the Californication of society.

Teach kids responsible firearms handling and they'll likely NOT do something stupid. Let 'em watch the crap in the theaters and beware of trenchcoats in the future. Kinda funny that 25 years ago, there were pickup trucks with 4-H stickers and loaded rifles in high school parking lots and no body was shooting each other. Now there's surveilance cameras, metal detectors and uniformed cops in the schools....hmm, wonder how we got there.

Opps, sorry, stepping off my soapbox.

Shooting's a fun activity, but like motorcycles, you need to keep your brain engaged or BAD things happen. It's also a skill that requires practice.

Shoot straight, ride twisty.
Cheers,
Kevin

G

·
Tahoe, you speak the truth, IMO. There's a new, unfired, Winchester 94/22 waiting in the safe for my son to get plenty of enjoyment out of when I feel he is ready. Enjoying the sport with my dad and my brother are some of my fondest memories. It disgusts me beyond belief at how the times have changed.

BTW, when my wife asked me "What would've happened had that hit him in the eye?" My reply, "It would have hurt a helluva lot less bouncing off his shooting glasses than his leg."

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don,

I use a Dillon 550 and load for 9mm and 40 S&W. If I can be of any help, you have our e-mail.

TJ

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TJ,

I just finished my first batch of 44's. I will probably shoot them at the range tomorrow. If all goes well with the 44, I will start reloading the 9. My only problem is that I haven't saved any of the shells from the 9. Damn, semi-auto throws 'em all over the place :D.

I'll let you know how it goes.

G

·
I1aCBR said:
TJ,

I just finished my first batch of 44's. I will probably shoot them at the range tomorrow. If all goes well with the 44, I will start reloading the 9. My only problem is that I haven't saved any of the shells from the 9. Damn, semi-auto throws 'em all over the place :D.

I'll let you know how it goes.

You re-use the shells ?? Can you do that ? Doesn't sound to safe to me ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts