Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to be given a new verizon phone for work that is 3g capable. Work used to pay for my home internet, but now we're going to have to tether our phones to our laptops if we want to use the net. This sucks for me because I have a wireless network set up at home and don't have to pay for anything.

So here are some questions. Does anyone know if I can talk on the phone and use the internet on the laptop at the same time? Do you know if there is an extra cost associated with tethering your phone to the computer? How fast is the thethered connection compared to a regular connection? Can you think of any reason why I can argue that I should still have my cable internet paid for?

God damn I hate technology.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
If you're utilizing sensitive data, that would be an easy argument for why this is a bad idea. Wireless networks are not very secure for transmitting sensitive or restricted data, even with WEP/WPA/etc enabled.

If you don't do that, is availability an issue? That's frequently a complaint if you're tooling around using it, though Verizon is probably the best that can be gotten for US-wide service (IMHO).

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I could try the sensetive data angle. I have a hundred peoples SSN's on my computer.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hey Tipp!

I used to run the Verizon Broadband Access Connect through my Blackberry Curve for my work laptop.

For starters, you CANNOT use your cell phone while you are using the data connection. If you receive a call, you tend to lose your connection if you answer it. The cost of tethering is an extra $15/month on top of your typical connection. You'll also want to upgrade your data plan to unlimited (if it is not already unlimited). The connection speed is pretty reasonable. I was concerned about the speed because I find my Curve to be painfully sluggish when using the built-in browsing. But I was able to run all my Flash apps without too much bogging. My job entails use of not only Flash, but also 5-to-1 simultaneous IM communication. I was able to run all of that through the BAC line.

The biggest downfall, IMHO, is that you can't be on a conference call and be online.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The confrence call thing won't effect me. I was hoping I could argue that the connection was so slow that I won't be able upload and download stuff onto our remote server. For it costing 15 bucks to use this slow ass thing, I'd argue that they should just pay another $25 a month for a faster, reliable connection.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
The confrence call thing won't effect me. I was hoping I could argue that the connection was so slow that I won't be able upload and download stuff onto our remote server. For it costing 15 bucks to use this slow ass thing, I'd argue that they should just pay another $25 a month for a faster, reliable, secure connection.
Fixed that for you :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Yeah, glad to see you're still in a fighting mood. I've long ago resigned myself to the choices upper management makes and now try to change those opinions before they become decision, but that means I had to drink the Kool-aid!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts