Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying an '83 CR250. It is my first dirtbike and I want to learn everyting there is to know about dirtbike repair. I'm looking for sites and forums as good or almost as good as sportbike world. Anyone know of some? Also for those of you who do have a dirt bike, what do you have? Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts

2k2 yz 125 :D
2k kx 250 :)
97 ktm 360 :hurl: (stupidly fast) :eek:

Best bet is to find a service manual, or the original instruction manual. The manual for my new YZ has anything you could possibly want to know, including numbered pictures with step by step instructions for EVERYTHING on the bike. I could literally dissassemble the bike and put it back together using the instruction manual that came with the bike. Plus it lists problem areas, areas with more wear, what to look for, and when to replace things, i.e. everyride, 2 rides, 3-4 rides, race.

tom

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have an XR250R now. I rode CR250R's for years. That's a peaky little bike you're getting there. It'll surprise you. Dirt bikes are great to tune your street riding skills. Good to practice wheelies on, too. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You want to talk to a good mechanic go to Sage's home He can get you the goods you'll need. Just tell him I sent ya. ;)

I was out on my CR125 this past weekend ripping up the dirt, running over rattle snakes, scaring Elk (by accident) Oh yeah!! Having a great time... except for this one rock that decided I was having too much of a good time. :( Now my baby is laid up at the bike hospital getting a transplant on his exhaust. He'll be fine though, he's a trooper. Those CRs take a licking and keep on ticking. Me on the other hand... well I won't be wearing shorts or skirts for a while. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
2000 YZ125 and a 1990 CR125.

Dirtbikes are a great way to have fun and learn about sliding the rear (or front), power wheelies out of corners, and all that fun stuff without really worrying about dropping it. They're simple to work on, the first bike I had apart was a '93 KX80 on which I was able to completely assemble the engine with only a Haynes manual to guide me (I didn't have the privilege of taking it apart first, it was a basket-case). Last saturday I just finished building a ramp for my bike, I'm working up the speed a bit, but so far have gotten about 10' air/40' distance off of it. Do yourself a favor and drop a bit of green and buy the gear, at least helmet/goggles/boots/gloves. They've saved my butt more than a few times. Work boots are ok if you're not jumping, combat type boots with a steel shank wouldn't be bad at all.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I agree with FrankieG... get the gear right away. Your hide is worth the money, TRUST me. Right now you'll be able to find killer deals on the 2001 stuff. You can even find some decent stuff on, yes, E-bay. What ever you do, don't buy Fox pants or gloves. They don't last for more than a season. Thank God I didn't pay for the crap. My tip... keep your skin covered... it'll thank you. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
yea

Whatever you do BUY GEAR, and i highly recomend you buy the best boots possible, preferably with the steel piece. Especially if you plan on riding mx with jumps. Your ankles will thank you as well. Also one overlooked thing. Elbow guards. Dont be completely turned off with fox either, i love my roost guard.

·
Registered
113 Posts
nor i

hot_rocket78 said:
I agree, Fox does make some good gear. I'm just not impressed with the pants or the gloves.
and if the quality of the stitching doesnt turn you off.... there price will, i have seen 360's going for upwards of $200, heh i will ride in my boxers and throw a new fmf pipe on my bike thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: nor i

DustedSunshine said:

and if the quality of the stitching doesnt turn you off.... there price will, i have seen 360's going for upwards of $200, heh i will ride in my boxers and throw a new fmf pipe on my bike thank you very much.
LMAO!! Exactly. You can get O'neal Hardwear gear for less than Fox AND it'll last longer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow guys, thanks for all the info. I'm getting the shop manual with the bike. The things the shop manual doesn't say is how to fine tune the bike for better performance.

One thing that seems weird to me was the powerband on the bike. The bike did have last years gas but still the powerband was midrange. After that the engine seemed to bog a bit. I guess I just expect a real amazing speed rocket at the high end of the powerband. This is my first dirtbike so I'm not sure how to compare my street bike to dirtbike acceleration. The CR doesn't even compare to my F4. I want to go over the bike thoroughly and maybe rejet for a little more top end. My test run was in a soft stuble field too. That might have had a weird impact on the bikes feel. I can't wait to get it out in the mountains. Should be a great trail bike.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
In that respect you CAN'T compare the two. It's like comparing a Sea-Doo to a ski boat. Great choice on bikes though. That CR is going to show you a great time. Once you get a taste of the dirt you'll want newer and beastier. It's like a drug. You can never get enough. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
yea

dirtbike's, at least mine, have low end powerbands, you can bump it up a little with a fatty pipe, there sorta like jeeps in that the gearing is better suited for climbing and such than it is for topspeed racing.

As for the manual its understandable cause my kx manual is a lot more vauge than my yz manual.

geesh its like a bug though, give it a little while, and you'll have a toy trailer full to no end with dirtbike junk.

hey whats that on my floor? oh thats a carb needle......

And yeah O'neal kicks ass, i just got a new 692 oneal helmet for like $143.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had no interest in street bikes until a year or so ago because I loved the dirt. Now, it's weird going back to the dirtbike. It's like sitting on a couch w/ the seating position. I think the things I learned off-road were so valuable on the street. I've been to the hospital my fair share of times, but it comes w/ the territory. Today, I was riding my F4i, and I hit a little patch of sand in a corner, and I didn't even panic. It's weird.

About gear, I think that the quality of the major brands are very similar. The price isn't too far off, either. Personally, and I know that someone will have a smart ass comment about it, I wear SMP when I'm offroad. I like the way it looks, and it's more comfortable than the tight stuff. Plus, it saves your boots from getting mud and shit all over them. Someone landed on me a couple summers ago, and their pipe was right on my calf. I didn't even feel the burn at all, and it was a little above my Tech 8's. The kevlar in them really saved me from a bad burn. I've crashed hard enough to tear the shit out of myself, and you can't even tell on the clothes. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I would reccommend dropping some serious coin on a pair of Alpinestars for the dirt way before a pair of Alpinestars for the street. You WILL crash multiple times if you are even trying to go fast.

I've had one YZ125 and 3 or 4 CR125R's, and I can't say I'd reccommend the YZ. I didn't like it, and it broke a couple times. I've only had one problem w/ my CR, and it was my own fault. This summer, I'm moving up to the 250 class, I think, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If it feels like it falls on it's face in the higher RPM range, you may have a clogged main from sitting so long. It should rev freely through the RPM range. It will have a serious power hit in the middle of the RPM range, where it feels like all the power is there at once, then it will just rev right to the end, quickly. Those bikes have a narrow power band....like I said, peaky. You have to kind of learn how to keep it on the pipe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
tech 8's

do you like your tech 8's??

i got some sidi flex force's

when i tried on the alpine stars i couldn't get my foot into the damn booty :confused: guess im just an idiot.....

·
Registered
284 Posts
If the Tech 8's didn't weigh 5 lbs ea, I would wear them for normal shoes.

Sometimes, I put the bootie in the boot, and then I just hold onto the strap in the back. I think it's easier than putting the bootie on and then putting your foot and bootie in.

How do you like the Sidi's? I always thought that they were narrow. I've never tried them on, and I don't know where I got that idea from, so maybe I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts