Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, can you give me any advice/insite?
Thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
So, this is in relation to an auto accident?

From: http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10536

"The mini-tort law lets you recover up to $500 from the at-fault driver for damage to your vehicle that is not covered by insurance - essentially, to cover your deductible if you have collision coverage."

If you are trying to recover already spent money:
"Try requesting the amount directly from the at-fault driver's insurance company. If they won't pay, you will likely have to resolve the claim through small claims court."

As previously stated, you would then have to take up the matter in Small Claims Court.

Here is a good site that answers the question and includes a link to the MI governmental unit that can offer you more guidance.

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/emailarticle.aspx?id=25406

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links, Webb. Yes it was an auto accident. Nothing serious.

"In the past I've just called the other guys insurance and said I'm filing a mini-tort claim."

Headlight, Then what happened? Did they just pay, or what? I really don't want to eff around with small claims court. If they don't either I'm hoping they'll just send me a check.:)

Both the other guy and I have Progressive, he has collision I just have PL PD. It was 100% his fault.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
M53 to work in the morn today?
Whatta fookin war zone that was...
I thought they were gonna run outta first responders and trucks...That ice was the worst I've ever driven on.........Evar!!!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thanks for the links, Webb. Yes it was an auto accident. Nothing serious.

"In the past I've just called the other guys insurance and said I'm filing a mini-tort claim."

Headlight, Then what happened? Did they just pay, or what? I really don't want to eff around with small claims court. If they don't either I'm hoping they'll just send me a check.:)

Both the other guy and I have Progressive, he has collision I just have PL PD. It was 100% his fault.
Yeah they just sent me a a check, it was $400 at the time, don't know if it's changed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M53 to work in the morn today?
Whatta fookin war zone that was...
I thought they were gonna run outta first responders and trucks...That ice was the worst I've ever driven on.........Evar!!!

Nope. Dodged that bullet. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
There was a fatality on M53 North of 29 Mile this morning.

http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/031308/loc_breaknews4.shtml
Yep.
One of the ones I passed on the way to work.
I was expecting at least on fatality outa that mess, but I thought it would be the a Wrangler driver that rolled.
The Ranger was pretty far off to road. I think it rolled a few times down the bank and caught air because the snow tracks stopped at the foot of the hill, and the ranger was 200 feet or more past where the snow tracks stopped, upside down.

RIP...:(

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
And not much distance/angle from where he went off the road and where he reached the bottom of the hill.
Prob a 55 degree decent...which would mean he wasnt going very fast at all.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
One of the biggest problems with Small Claims Court is not the winning of a case, it is collecting the money.

Often, people just try to never pay it.
If you win, you just keep filing, paying the filing fee, and the Courts continue to go after the one who lost the judgement until they finally collect.

That is where it can become tedious as it just takes a lot of your time to continue filing on the clown.

Many people stop trying to get the money after the first few times of being stiffed.

Insurance companies are somewhat different as sometimes, they are not even in this state and they can get a lot of bad PR if they do not pay the piddly award.

Good luck!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the biggest problems with Small Claims Court is not the winning of a case, it is collecting the money.

Often, people just try to never pay it.
If you win, you just keep filing, paying the filing fee, and the Courts continue to go after the one who lost the judgement until they finally collect.

That is where it can become tedious as it just takes a lot of your time to continue filing on the clown.

Many people stop trying to get the money after the first few times of being stiffed.

Insurance companies are somewhat different as sometimes, they are not even in this state and they can get a lot of bad PR if they do not pay the piddly award.

Good luck!
Thats pretty much what I figured. Thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Filing fee? Just call the others insurance company first.

I called... it was their fault. Their insurance company paid me in about 4 days.

They covered my $500 deductible after I proved that 1) I had insurance, and 2) that my deductible was $500.

Couldnt have been easier... not a penny out of my pocket.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

" The check is in the mail" :laughing:

Dealing with Progressive was great. I called the 800#, was never on hold for more than a minute. After telling them(as a policy holder) I want to file a mini tort claim and answering a few questions, they told me an adjuster would call within 2 hours. The adjuster called back in about 50 minutes, asked more questions and told me that since I only had PLPD that the only thing I could do was a mini-tort. I sent some pics via e-mail and the PD report and a $100 repair bill(to get the car driveable) via snail mail. The snail mail didn't even get there yet and I get an e-mail saying its all set. ( I hope the ceck's for more than $100 though. I find out in a couple days.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Welcome to the "no-fault" state of MI. :rolleyes:

Hope it works out for you! Both of you having Progressive probably helps in this case.

A similiar thing happened to a friend of mine in a rear end collision(100% the other drivers fault) and he finally got money directly from the other driver. Ins company was no help :rolleyes:

mb.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts