Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a water powered backup sump pump this weekend and need to tee into the existing copper main. I was planning on just going the old fashioned route and soldering everything using all copper. With the current price on copper, and the fact that I don't currently have a torch, solder, flux, or brushes I wondered about using Shark Bite fittings (or their equivalent from Lowes, Gator Bite) and PEX tubing.

Anyone have any experience with the Shark Bite fittings? I've searched around online with mostly mixed reviews.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Used them for line for a washing machine. Worked just fine. I would get one extra fitting just in case, and keep your tubing so that you got some slack, so that you can cut a small piece off in order to try again.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Nope, haven't used it. I picked up the materials to do the full copper changes. But we do have some of those installed to feed things like our fridge ice maker and they don't leak. 'Course, you can never remove them either :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We don't have a Home Depot, so we went with the Gator Bite ones from Lowes. Work just fine. I used the Watts plastic ones to redo the plumbing in the basement with PEX too. Works fine, and gets the job done much faster. I hate soldering copper.

We'll see on the longevity. It's been a year with no issues, but from all of the reading I've done as long as the connection stays stationary (little or no vibration) the mechanical fittings should last quite some time.

Man this is an old thread.

·
Registered
526 Posts
fittings

since this is an old thread we should see how them fittings and plastic tubing is holding up. I know for a fact this is a good product. my brother owns a plumbing business and at first he was skeptical of this. but after using it and seeing the life span so far and amount of no problems he is a believer. I have worked for him on the side once in while to help out and I do remember one thing on these is before putting the tubing into the fittings make sure you use the tool to clean the edges of tubing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts