Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Bieffe Helmet that I’m not using anymore. So I decided to try and break it. I went outside and slammed it into the concrete as hard as I could about 10 times. The shield broke off, as did a few pieces of plastic down around the jaw. And eventually the interior foam shell cracked. I’m not sure when it broke, but it cracked from about the forehead to the top of the skull (assuming it was a head). I even tried to break it from all angles. Eventually I got tired and gave up. I know one thing after the experiment, I feel that my head would be extremely safe during any kind of daily crash.

It was kind of funny. I would take the helmet in both hands, raise it up, and slam it down as hard as possible. The helmet would just bounce straight up about 4-5 feet into the air.

Just thought I’d share.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I've seen a helmet after a head-on collision with a truck.

Held up better than you'd expect, but it really didn't matter.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can still die from a brain injury even when the helmet survives. the worst impact isn't from your head hitting the ground, but from your brain hitting the inside wall of your skull, it can swell and suffocate it's self. but anyway that hard outside shell helps keep you from having a disfigured head after 30 feet of abrasion.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Tippmann said:
I have an old Bieffe Helmet that I’m not using anymore. So I decided to try and break it. I went outside and slammed it into the concrete as hard as I could about 10 times. ....

Sexually frustrated there Tippy? :twofinger

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I have three helmets on a shelf in a storage room, along with another seven out in the garage on a shelf as well. Said 11 are way out of date to even a few being open face helmets used in dirt comp.

If I go to replace one of my main two helmets, then the one to be replaced sort of pushes the list. One has to be garbaged so I hack off the straps & take a 5 lb sledge hammer to mess up the one to go in the garbage for I do not want some-one to see said helmet & think it will be fine for his brother or his g/f or such. So far none have broken under the sledge-hammer.

·
Registered
447 Posts
a few years ago when i had a pretty bad accident on a bike i was wearing a bieffe helmet and when i hit the pavement with enough force to blow the shield off the helmet and was able to survive with no head injuryes, acually the only real injury was my hand was severly crushed, got to love gear. I was inpressed with how well that helmet held up in the crash, it did save my life. so i would say bieffe passed the crash test.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I don't suppose when the helmet bounced it caught you off guard the first time ;)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I snapped off a few shields, and put a visible spiderweb crack in my last shoei, but never broke one.

A friend of mine had a van pull out in front of him in an intersection, and hit it head on. The helmet split in half down the middle. He wasnt alright for a few months after that one, but has since made a recovery.

The helmet I've seen was with a local stunter kid. He lost a 40 mph stand up wheelie, dropping the bike sideways. As the bike hit the ground it tumbled, and flew up, landing on top of him nose first, with the handle bar breaking the shield going directly into his eye socket. He was airlifted, spent a few month in ICU, and now has a permanent 20% vision loss in that eye, but manage to come out with no brain damage. He has since returned to stunting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Either he's a trooper, or he lied about the whole "no brain damage thing." I admire people like that though, I know I would at least take a few years to think it over if that happened to me.

...I love my eyes.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Yeah, the foam between the outer and inner wall is the most important part of the helmet than just the outer wall. The padding is what reduces the amount of force over time that's transfered to your head. When you wreck, it gives in. Very similar to a bumper of a car, but in a much smaller space and a lot more science involved. Reason why you should get a new helmet every time you crash... Or in my case, 3 times a year. :p

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kanwisch said:
I don't suppose when the helmet bounced it caught you off guard the first time ;)
almost hit me in the face. The only thing that saved me were my cat like reflexes, and mongoose like speed.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Tippmann said:
almost hit me in the face. The only thing that saved me were my cat like reflexes, and mongoose like speed.
ROTFLMAO

I had a gut feeling that thing came up like a geyser.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Tippmann said:
dude you owe me a new computer....and a new shirt....i was drinking coffee when i read that and spit and drooled just a little :D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
about a year ago, a few might remember this, I was going in a round a-bout circle a few times and in one of the passes, I almost low sided it and lost control. I quickly "bitch slapped" the ground with my left palm, sending me straight up onto an adjacent street. Had to get a new pair of gloves, but was pretty cool that I can defy physics like Neo... :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wrecked bad back in the early 90s and managed to crack my helmet...when I hit the ground, my head (encased in helmet) hit the curb and completely destroyed the shield as well as my Oakleys...crack started in the corner of the face and went up to the top of the helmet. Fortunately, the only injury that I ended up with was a SEVERE case of road rash down the entire left side of my body....back in my stupid days of just wearing jeans and a t-shirt when I rode...lesson learned. I don't remember what brand the helmet was, but I really liked it and could never find another one like it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts