Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my SV650 and LOVE IT!! Curious as to how many others are out there with these great bikes and there experiences with them. Any links to aftermarket exhaust sites would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Ooooh! Oooooh! Me! That's Me!

Welcome to the cult! You picked a great bike! How'd you get a yellow one in FL? Did you import it from Canada?

Like Tristan said, www.svrider.com is the best resource for everything SV. I found all my mods on that site.

I've personally got a Yosh RS-3 pipe on mine, but if I had the money I would have put a Renegade dual high rise pipe on. A lot of people go with M4 for their pipe of choice as well. You will want to look into re-jetting the bike if you replace the exhaust system. Mine ran too rich ( I think) after we switched. I chose a stage 1 jet kit for mine, as I mainly ride on the street and I'm not a racer.

Welcome to SBW also! :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Ooooh! Oooooh! Me! That's Me!

elo said:

You will want to look into re-jetting the bike if you replace the exhaust system. Mine ran too rich after we switched.

ELO, didnt you mean it ran too lean after you
switched pipes???

:confused:

I dont have one.....yet....but I am looking to get
one for a track bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yellow SV

I don't how it got down here, but they had a yellow one in the showroom and sold it to me for $5348/ before TT&T. I hope this was a good deal..... I know it was worth it after I rode it the first time.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Re: Re: Ooooh! Oooooh! Me! That's Me!

Cam McFarland said:

ELO, didnt you mean it ran too lean after you
switched pipes???
It backfired about every two minutes. Doesn't that mean it's running too rich?

Anyway, that's a pretty good deal for a brand new SV. The yellow really looks good, and few people have them this side of the border!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ooooh! Oooooh! Me! That's Me!

elo said:

It backfired about every two minutes. Doesn't that mean it's running too rich?

I suppose it could mean that, but, typically
a bike would come lean from the factory & then
adding on an aftermarket exhaust would cause it
to run even leaner.
What the heck do I know, I'm lucky to change
my oil....lol..:D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well, that's what it did, and re-jetting it fixed the problem. Obviously, I had someone who knows a lot more than I do the work! ;)

Honestly, I would have put the stage 1 in even if I hadn't replaced the exhaust, because there's a flat spot between 4500 and 6000 rpms. It's not bad, but definitely noticable.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Okay, okay! I formally recuse myself from posting here anymore today! I'm obviously too tired to pay attention to what I type! (but it's still true that few people in the US have stock yellow SV's! :p)

SV650Rider, I am still awake enough to know that you should definitely listen to what these other people have to say!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Post numero uno, just joined......

Yup, on an SV also. Good choice of bike, SVRider. Too bad you live in Florida. The SV is a great bike for ripping around hilly back roads, plenty of torque digging out of the turns going up and ample engine braking going down.

Yeah, you'll probably want to lose that sewage pipe stock exhuast fairly early in your SV career. Adding a rowdier sound (not to mention a few useful extra HP in combination with re-jetting) really adds to the character of the bike.

Have fun......

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
old squid said:
Post numero uno, just joined......

Yup, on an SV also. Good choice of bike, SVRider. Too bad you live in Florida. The SV is a great bike for ripping around hilly back roads, plenty of torque digging out of the turns going up and ample engine braking going down.

Yeah, you'll probably want to lose that sewage pipe stock exhuast fairly early in your SV career. Adding a rowdier sound (not to mention a few useful extra HP in combination with re-jetting) really adds to the character of the bike.

Have fun......
Cool..welcome to the boards ..:D How long ya been ridin for..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hammer,

Eight months, excluding a couple of times back in New York, 25 years ago. Been really wanting to learn how to ride since watching Mick Doohan on TV in the mid-90's. Finally decided to go for it and took the MSF course. Why did I wait so long ??!!

The SV is my first and only bike. I love it, but at 6'2" - am considering going to a bike with more legroom. Thinking about a YZF-600R or ZX-6R, or maybe a Honda VFR or Aprilia Falco. Whaddya' think ? Any recommendations ?

Think I could handle the extra power at this point. When I first got the SV past the break-in period and gave it a lot of throttle: holy $hit !! But I got used to it. Now when I give it full throttle, it's still exhilarating but doesn't scare me anymore. Not into wheelies but I like a bike which goes, stops, corners and looks good. I ride sometimes with other people in an SV club around here. I'm a little slower than the best guys but not too far off the pace.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
old squid said:
Hammer,

Eight months, excluding a couple of times back in New York, 25 years ago. Been really wanting to learn how to ride since watching Mick Doohan on TV in the mid-90's. Finally decided to go for it and took the MSF course. Why did I wait so long ??!!

The SV is my first and only bike. I love it, but at 6'2" - am considering going to a bike with more legroom. Thinking about a YZF-600R or ZX-6R, or maybe a Honda VFR or Aprilia Falco. Whaddya' think ? Any recommendations ?

Think I could handle the extra power at this point. When I first got the SV past the break-in period and gave it a lot of throttle: holy $hit !! But I got used to it. Now when I give it full throttle, it's still exhilarating but doesn't scare me anymore. Not into wheelies but I like a bike which goes, stops, corners and looks good. I ride sometimes with other people in an SV club around here. I'm a little slower than the best guys but not too far off the pace.
Your not going to believe this, I just back into riding after a 25 yr. layoff too, I had Gixxer 600, with a bunch of Mods...totalled it last month, anyway..speedvision, and all the roadraces they aired, caused me to get back into riding, and I asked myself the same question..why so long..?? DUH..:D Also, I'm 6'2", and while the Gixxer, has a ass up, head down postion, I have riden it 450 miles in a day..you get use to it..at 54 yrs. young, if I can ride one..anyone can..:D Gotta love draggin them knees..

stick around...your gonna like it here....:D

·
Registered
256 Posts
sv650 rider and new here

I'm also new here and have had an sv650 for about 1.5 years - 2000, red (the nice red). Love it but don't know any better since it's my first bike. Hadn't ridden in almost 30 years (since college days) and decided to go for it before hitting 50.

The sv seems to be a great "budget" bike with lots of potential and add-ons to enhance performance, etc. Unless the 2002 model adjustable front shock pre-load helps tremendously, the first mod should probably be stiffer front suspension if you weigh more than about 165.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ray-
The front shocks are fine for me. I weigh about 160lbs and haven't had to adjust them yet, but it's nice to know that I could if need be. Looks like hotboddies.com has some acces. for the SV's already...... COOOL... I would like to get a carbon fiber zipper guard for my tank if anyone knows where I can pick one up at.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: sv650 rider and new here

RayO said:
I'm also new here and have had an sv650 for about 1.5 years - 2000, red (the nice red). Love it but don't know any better since it's my first bike. Hadn't ridden in almost 30 years (since college days) and decided to go for it before hitting 50.

Ray,

How ya' doin ? Welcome to the boards. It's me, "Steve C." We rode with the Norcal SV Riders that one time over to Santa Cruz and to the bike show in San Mateo. Sure we'll hook up again one of these days. Glad you decided to check out this site.

:D :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would like to get a carbon fiber zipper guard for my tank if anyone knows where I can pick one up at. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, SV650Rider. Didn't mean to blow off your question by ignoring it. Check out some of the ads in the motorcycle magazines or catalogs. online or off. Dennis Kirk, Lockhart Phillips or another company which sells accessories. Arizona Motorsport sometimes has good prices on this type of stuff.

I just took a look at Lockhart Phillips, didn't see a carbon fiber one for the SV but they did have some cool tank skins. Also seat skins, at about half the price of a Targa cowl. Your bike looks very cool in yellow , one or both of these might meet your needs.

I've got 6500 miles on mine and haven't seen any abrasion on the tank with no guard, but a guard couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SV650rider,

Great ride guy, love the yellow. Welcome to the club. I have a 2002 Silver SVS and to date the only thing I hvae done is increase the front suspension preload 2 lines and the rear 1 notch. THe front has made a big difference in the turns and when shifting. I too am looking into a pipe and jet Mod and am leaning to either the M4 or the Micron with a K&N fitler and jet kit.

Old squid, I just got a LP carbon fiber look tank gaurd and although it works ok and looks great, I just can keep the lower portion to stay attached to the tank around the edges. I am hopeing that with a little pressure and some time this will fix itself but we shall see (It has been on for about 2 weeks).

In general guys I love the bike. My first and I love it. Its great for heading out onto the winding roads of the Texas hill country and here in Texas it is pretty much a 12 month a year deal. I used to live out in Livermore CA though and I can just imagine what a great time it must be riding in the hills out there. Maybe a quick jaunt up to Mt Hamilton or out to Half moon bay. But I digress into memories.

Take it easy y'all, I will be following along here in the future.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts