Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pondering a change over to synthetic, because I plan on putting well over fifty thousand miles on my bike in the next couple years(crossing my fingers). How does syn. compare to regular oil? Do any of you use syn.? I want to keep my bike running like the day it was new. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I run synthetic. Honestly I dont notice a difference. However when picking synthetic, do your research. Some oils use additives that will make you clutch slip. I used to use mobil1 red cap, but they discontinued it...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I used Honda Synthetic w/o molly, cost $7.00 per quart. supposedly, it's the molly that makes the clutch slip, molly is for dry clutches like Ducs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
klotz

i use klotz synthethic in all my bikes and its makes a world of difference in shifting. My yzf was loud and hard specially between 1st and 2nd now its quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mainerdr said:
FYI
If you have a wet clutch DO NOT USE SYNTH OIL.
Argh, I hate myth's. Its not the synthetic that kills clutches, its the additives in SOME synthetics. The same additive exist in SOME conventional oils as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rotella full synthetic here, like Vash said do some research then pick something you are comfortable with.

The same people that believe you should never use a synthetic with a wet clutch are the same that think only Motorcycle specific oil will not harm a bike.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the actual benefits of using synth. oil? Does it actually prolong engine life? Will your engine get tens and thousands of more miles? I've been changing my oil and filter every 1600 to 2100 miles with pro honda.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Angrypenguin said:
Rotella full synthetic here, like Vash said do some research then pick something you are comfortable with.

The same people that believe you should never use a synthetic with a wet clutch are the same that think only Motorcycle specific oil will not harm a bike.

I wouldn't say I am in that category ( non-motorcycle brand oil is fine ) and, there are some synth that will work better than others. However for the rider that does not want or need to do all the research and read each label with a mag glass then I would say use non synth and change it often. I have tried several synth's and I found after minimal milage "my clutch" starts slipping. I gave up the hunt!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ice said:
What are the actual benefits of using synth. oil? Does it actually prolong engine life? Will your engine get tens and thousands of more miles? I've been changing my oil and filter every 1600 to 2100 miles with pro honda.
K, bit of background on the subject. Oil is a base with additives. The worse the base, the more additives are required to bring the oil up to spec. However, additives are long and fragile molecules that tear up quickly. Thus the more additives the oil has, the shorter the life span. I believe a typical conventional oil will suffer a 20% drop in quality in the first 500 miles in a bike engine.
Synthetics are supposed to be a man made base so that they need very few additives.
However this is not the case anymore at least not fully. Sometime back, one company released an oil with top quality, natural base and claimed it was a synthetic (which it wasnt). They got sued, argued that its not a mislabel since it performs like a synthetic (which it does). They won, and ever since most companies started using the same trick. I know amsoil doesnt, dont know who else.

As for real world advantage, I've seen the math behind it, and at least in a car, its not worth using synthetic. The cost difference between synth and conventional was enough to buy a new engine after 100k miles. In bikes the milages are lower, so I dont know if this would still hold up. I use synthetic to treat my bike, so I dont feel so guilty about beating it up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
clutches

i hammer the crap out of my motocross bike and since going to synthetics i've never smoked a clutch as I have in the past with non-synthetic oil.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have used amsoil fully synthetic 10w-40 oil in my bike for a little over a year now. I am happy with the oil. It seems that it breaks down slowly compared to regular motorcycle oils. My clutch is fine and shows no signs of slippage. Amsoil even states that it will not harm a wet clutch.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
AMSOIL is definetly safe, and is claiming to be the best motorcycle oil available (And if they are wrong, they are at least close). However it is pricey...

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Vash has been hitting you with the right information all along this thread. Synthetic is a good thing, but watch for friction modifiers ( I believe it has an SJ designation ). When we tore down my FZR motor for rebuild, EVERY component was within tight tolerance with the exception of my valves needing to be replaced. Every surface, journal, etc was within the close side of the specs, and that was after 35K of rough miles.

Your call... your motor. After break in is complete, it's synthetic for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts