Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with any clever use for helmets, once they have been "used"? I have an Arai Signet that won't be going back out and all I can think of is to maybe pull out the face pads for spares, and put it on the mantle as a "reminder". Damn, it's hard to just toss someting like that in the trash. :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
heh, heh. I was wondering the same thing a while back on this thread

So far the only use that I have come up with for mine is as a dust collector. It's sitting on top of my entertainment center. It doesn't look like anything is wrong with it and I just can't bring my self to chuck it. Arai says that you can send in a helmet and they will inspect it to see if it should still be used. I keep meaning to look into that. I guess I kind of wanted a new helmet anyway.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right, TigerTex,

that thread pretty well covered it. Now that I've looked at it again, I do remember seeing it before.

One of the side effects a head-whack is it aggravates my CRS (Can't Remember Shit). :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
LMAO

Damn-

I hate even admitting i am a member of this elite group too!
I keep staring at my wrecked edwards RX-7RR4 (yeah, just like the one in my pick) No way it is usable, but I can't seem to throw the damn thing out either. Don't know if it is because it cost so much, or just some twisted "But it saved me!" mentality!:(

You are right tho- I have mine sitting so I have to see it everytime I get on my bike. Sort of my pre-ride reality check!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Joss said:
You are right, TigerTex,

that thread pretty well covered it. Now that I've looked at it again, I do remember seeing it before.

One of the side effects a head-whack is it aggravates my CRS (Can't Remember Shit). :D
No biggie. I think this is a popular dilemma. You have this cool looking lid (not to mention expensive) with memories attached and now you're just supposed to toss it? I just can't do it.:p

btw, you didn't have a recent wipe out did you? Is that the reason for retiring the signet? ...and the CRS?;)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
It is a dust collector or you simply gabage it. No sorrows over it be it just having done so well in the past few yrs & now becoming to loose inside or it has been damaged & saved your head.
Same thing when selling your m/c never give it second thoughts & never fret over what the next owner(s) does with it.
Possibly this does not sink in to those that are new or have only ridden for a few yrs, but to many of us with age & experience --- believe me we know.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Take it to your local sports pub and offer to donate it as a wall ornament.

I saw a pub some years ago that had a bunch of racing stuff adorning the walls, everything from racing posters to an entire car. Very cool.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Joss said:
Has anyone come up with any clever use for helmets, once they have been "used"? I have an Arai Signet that won't be going back out and all I can think of is to maybe pull out the face pads for spares, and put it on the mantle as a "reminder". Damn, it's hard to just toss someting like that in the trash. :(
Carry it with you on your bike,:) when some A-Hole cager cuts you off in traffic, follow them til they park their crapmobile and super glue it to their forhead :p ;):twofinger

·
Registered
309 Posts
Joss said:
Yeah, I did. It's pretty well described in:

http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20402

even though it was a "street-job". :rolleyes:

Actually, the wife says I have had CRS for some time. LOL :D
Very sorry to hear that, Joss!:( I'll post comments on the other thread.

I completely missed that thread (No CRS in this case, I swear!:p )

Kinda interesting, though. I posted my thread about the helmet right after my spill too.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: LMAO

FastHawk said:
Damn-

I hate even admitting i am a member of this elite group too!

Maybe we can start a club with messed up helmets as the dues. One idea is to pull the pads out, hang it upside down on a hook & throw keys, gloves & sunglasses in it. I'm always looking for those things (chronic CRS) & the helmet is a natural reminder of what happened while giving me a place for my stuff. Although that sports bar idea is really cool too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A guy here at work suggested putting some masking tape on it and recording the date/circumstances of the event... leaving the way paved for a collection.... a small collection. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I never wreck, I ride perfectly and never make mistakes......

what??

Oh yeah.... back to reality ;)

It's just a bucket, nothing more. I have crashed a few times and I just throw them away if they hit. I usually keep the visors if they are ok.

One was used as a target out at the family's ranch.... ever seen what a 7MM Mag can do to a Nolan Helmet with a smaller sized pumpkin in it? :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts