Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1995 Golf with a bit of a running problem. The car will start up and idle fine, but when I step down on the throttle, it bogs out and dies. I have tested a few things already, but I am left to believe it is a sensor of some sort.

If you play with the idle control unit hose, you can get the RPM up slightly, but nothing really noteworthy. I was thinking it might be that sensor.

Here is what I ruled out so far.

Exhaust system
Intake tubes/pipes/leaks
MAF Sensor
Fuel rail and hoses

Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
not that i'm any help, but i too just bought a golf. a 96. i'd say check vacum hoses, fuel filter, it's not throwing a CEL? um see if your MAF is clean as well.

did you seafoam it when u bought it? love that stuff

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kyllc said:
not that i'm any help, but i too just bought a golf. a 96. i'd say check vacum hoses, fuel filter, it's not throwing a CEL? um see if your MAF is clean as well.

did you seafoam it when u bought it? love that stuff

Chrcked vacuum hoses, fuel system (except injectors), and as I previously stated, I have tried a different MAF on the car with no luck thus far.

My current theory is TPS. Unfortunatly, I dont believe I can check it without buying a new one.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind... Figured it out. I hollowed out the cat, and now it runs perfect. I have to call around and see if anyone can get a cat by this weekend. Its getting colder and colder, and im reading posts about snow in parts... and I am shitting myself thinking I might be riding in the snow this year. :crying:

·
Registered
59 Posts
unless you have an inspection coming up you should be able to run with the gutted cat for a while it wont effect the car in a very negative way, my jetta has been running without cats for over a year now

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

I honk my horn before driving in cold weather to make sure there are no cats sleeping against my warm engine.

~ Blue Jays ~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts