Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to who owns and runs their own small business?
What do you do and how long have you been doing it?
Having been a computer consultant, then going back to corporate life, I'm starting to miss being my own boss... :-(

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
As of tomorrow, I will own 50% of a local fitness publication. Right now it's circulated throughout Rockland County, but as soon as we get the paperwork completed (tomorrow) I will begin work on expanding it to Westchester and Bergen Counties. By the end of the year we should begin another venture, which will have us expanding into other areas of publishing in the travel/tourism markets.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go DAN!!!! :) More power to ya!!!
I guess we can add you to the long list of successful Irish businessmen?? :) Jimmy G

·
Registered
101 Posts
EA Motorsports

Congrats on the new business oppurtunity Dan.

I have been working the past 3 mnths on my new company "EA Motorsports", I will be specializing in Moto Tires, Exhaust , and helmets to begin with... I am working on the procurement side of the website and hope to have it up and working by mid Fall this year!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well to be completely honest I've spent about 3 wks solid work in it...

That's if you add up all the part time work here and there... i had only constructed one other site before this one so that's why it took a little longer than normal.. I would suggest using Frontpage and FTP... I'm not that big on Dreamweaver. Frontpage is challenging with some of the plug ins but nothing u can't learn...

I do all my videos in XP movie maker 2. Its very user friendly.. has everything u need to edit, import and customize your vids...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
bluR1dude said:
Well to be completely honest I've spent about 3 wks solid work in it...

That's if you add up all the part time work here and there... i had only constructed one other site before this one so that's why it took a little longer than normal.. I would suggest using Frontpage and FTP... I'm not that big on Dreamweaver. Frontpage is challenging with some of the plug ins but nothing u can't learn...

I do all my videos in XP movie maker 2. Its very user friendly.. has everything u need to edit, import and customize your vids...

I've already picked up Frontpage...everybody I spoke to told me it's the way to go. I plan to pick up another PCU and keep everything on that system dedicated to that business. It just seems easier to keep things isolated...less chance for problems.

Thanks for the video suggestion...I was very curious which way to go in case I decided to post videos! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Started in 1978. For me, it beats working for someone else but it's not as easy or as independant as some would think. While it has some independence it also has a lot of responsibility. There were many times I was at work when I didn't want to be because things needed to be handled. I'd have loved to just punch out and come back at it tomorrow but as the owner, that wasn't an option. While it's worked for me, there's a lot to be said for collecting a paycheck without the worries. I guess it's true, "the grass always looks greener on the other side".:)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Dad said:
Started in 1978. For me, it beats working for someone else but it's not as easy or as independant as some would think. While it has some independence it also has a lot of responsibility. There were many times I was at work when I didn't want to be because things needed to be handled. I'd have loved to just punch out and come back at it tomorrow but as the owner, that wasn't an option. While it's worked for me, there's a lot to be said for collecting a paycheck without the worries. I guess it's true, "the grass always looks greener on the other side".:)

Yeah, but the fact still remains... I'm gonna break my a$$ regardless of who I'm working for, and I'd rather make myself rich than somebody else. ;)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Good for you dan!

Good luck in this business venture. I hope it works out.:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have CAD & Rapid Prototyping Business

I didn't quit my day-job as a design engineer for a small manufacturer, but I started my own CAD (3-D) and rapid prototyping business in August 2001 (poor timing). Business is picking up.

Any body need a prototype for their bike? Website: www.designcycleinc.com

I'm also ready (this month) to release my first new product into the marine market outside of my clients.

Being a small business owner isn't as easy as it looks.

Good luck to all small business owners.

Small business help for FL business owners is http://www.cob.fsu.edu/jmi/index2/index.asp I worked here while I finished my MBA. Dr. Osteryoung and staff are great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts