Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rug-burn.. yea i laughed.. that was good.

& if i ever get one or have to build my own then pics will be step 2.

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i found another sterling.. but this one is built on a bug (as opposed to a custom chassis).. its a 62 pan.. doesnt that have the link pin suspension?

does that suspension have performance potential? if not is it easily upgraded to the ball joint suspension.. or are there performance after market suspensions available?

everything else is pretty much redone.. a new 1835 engine new trans & clutch so the suspension is what im most worried about.

thanx.

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
HEY Speed,

VW have to be the most popular KIT CAR donors. I don't have an answer specific to your susp Q, But i know the after market for the VW is HUGE!!! So I don't think you'll have a prob.

This is the ride I want ..
http://www.kitcar.com/HUMMBUG/home.html
www.kitcar.com

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thanks for the info. Speedfreak, I just sent the guy a check and should have your car in about a week. I'll let you know how it drives when I get it. :D :D

I hope you can laugh at that--I know I did.

I have to admire you for not giving up on your quest for the Sterling. I hope it's everything you expect it to be when you finally get one. Best of luck to ya. Also, I know this is a given, but you will post pictures when you get it right.

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I believe the '62 has the link-pin set-up. I'm assuming you're looking for something with good street performance. I can only offer that a link-pin set-up is usually sought after by the off-road junkies. I've got a '61 Bug w/ a Baja set-up. The link-pin front suspension is known for being very durable in off-road applications. The design is such that it can take a whole lot of abuse (i.e., jumps) before failure.
I'm not sure if a ball-joint suspension results in a significant change in handling. It is a somewhat weaker configuration, but I don't think you'd be running a Sterling across the desert.
Adam is correct - there is a huge after-market for bug parts - and relatively inexpensive too. There's a lot of upgrades available including front disks, shock towers, etc. - so you shouldn't worry about that.
BTW - it wouldn't suprise me if there is a similiar internet forum (like SBW) for VW enthusiasts. Perhaps you can get lucky and find a site where you can get a more definative answer.

Good luck.

------------------
...I don't want a pickle
I just wanna ride my motor - sickle...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx max.

actually ive looked for forums & even posted.. the thing is.. there are so many of them. instead of 2 or 3 really good forums.. it seems all i could find in the vw world was little villages instead of a large metropolis. interesting though that the link pin is stronger.. i assumed different.

thanx again for the info.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts