Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the gsxr and would like some feedback about any problems that anyone has come across with it. From what I gather it's not too different from the 97-99 models so any info would be great.

------------------
2000 Kat 600

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you talking the Katana or the GSXR? I haven't heard too much about the 600, but have heard about a lot of problems with the 750's cam chain tensioner.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the cam chain tensioner issue is supposed to be dead for both the 600 and the 750 for 2000. some 2000 750 guys are saying it's back (no problem here).

they are pretty solid bikes, i wouldn't worry about it.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about upgrading the exhaust. I'm looking at the Yosh pipes. (Full system) Should I wait to see if it needs to be rejetted or order the jet kit with the pipes?

------------------
But it looks soooo fast!!!!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i'd look at other brands before buying yosh. i have a yosh on my fzr and had one on my f2, but the gsxr is getting m4 (if i ever buy one).

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Tony,

I haven't experienced anything yet with my cam chain tensioner on my '98 gixxer 750. Should I expect to? And how will I know?

------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've heard there was a recall on the tensioner for the 97-99 (?) GSXRs. If you call your local suzuki dealer the service guys should know.

------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
not with the 600 but there is a problem with
1st & 2nd gear on the 750
the shift shaft cannot get oil in 1st or 2nd gear, over time it overheats, bends and locks
up the 5-6 hub, bends the shift forks and
blows the tranny
happened to 4 bike here in alaska so far...
out of 12 in the state, I fear mine is next

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
do not buy a 2000 gsxr 750!!! there is a problem with first and second gear not being oiled while in gear causing them to fail requiring engine teardown with no fix available yet and my dealer says he will not warranty it because he says the rider is causing it. my bike is down and i am seeking legal advice so stay tuned!

gsxrjason

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's the first I've heard about any tranny probs with the gixxer. And I have heard they do have the cam chain tensioner prob worked out. If you bought it recently it was probably fixed before you bought it, but a call to your dealer should answer that question.

There is no jet-kit for that bike. It's fuel-injected. A dyno run after putting the pipe on will tell you if it needs re-mapped. After watching all of the problems my buddy has had with carbs, I wouldn't do anything involving fuel or air without a dyno run.

------------------
That don't fix it? Get a bigger Hammer
1993 GSXR 1100

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are the warnings before the tranny lock up? (sounds etc..) I ask because my second gear is loud and clunky on the way up and back down. I haven't read about any gsxr600 issues so I may be paranoid about it.

------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
cam tentioner

I OWN A 2000 GSX-R600 AND I HAD TO REPLACE THE CAM CHAIN TENTIONER LAST YEAR,EVEN THOUGH MY WARRANTY WAS UP THE DEALER TOOK CARE OF IT ,MY BIKE RUNS BETTER NOW THEN WHEN I FIRST GOT IT.:)

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Re: cam tentioner

feerlessleo said:
I OWN A 2000 GSX-R600 AND I HAD TO REPLACE THE CAM CHAIN TENTIONER LAST YEAR,EVEN THOUGH MY WARRANTY WAS UP THE DEALER TOOK CARE OF IT ,MY BIKE RUNS BETTER NOW THEN WHEN I FIRST GOT IT.:)
All caps are equal to shouting, so please use lower case :D

2nd gear probs, are with the 750's, and so far, your 600's cam chain, is the second one I've heard about..

Oh...and welcome to the SBW boards...:D

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
QuikMike said:
all more the reason you guys should've gotten a Honda or Yamaha.....no probs there and they stadn behind their warranties.....just my $.02:D :D ;)
They do what behind their warranties.....stadn..????....:confused:

Typical Yamaha owner spelling...:D

Hey..all bikes have problems..so there...:p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts