Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I don't want to talk bad about any one particular brand, but this is my friends second yamaha, and both have had major mechanical problems. The first one (2001 R1) was a total lemon. Everything that could go wrong, did. They bought it back. Just a few days ago, he had a major crash as a result of the footpeg falling off his new (2002) R1. I see a trend that'll keep me from EVER riding blue. Unfortunately for him, this was that one rare instance where he went out without his riding jacket. The bike travelled over 270 feet from the skid marks where the tires caught. The bike had already been sliding for a while when the tires caught and shot the bike off the road. Here are some pics: Just a note, some of the injury pics are gross. Be prepared before you scroll down.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
side view. The subframe bolts sheared. They are very soft aluminum. All you 2002 R1 owners out there, These bolts are a major weak point in your bike. I'd think about replacing them with somewhat stronger bolts. These bolts are gonna break long before your subframe breaks. Don't put fat chicks on the back!!!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
The odd thing here is, the R1 has been the best bike I've ever owned hands-down. Every manufacturer can make a lemon though.

I will admit that if you ride an R1 hard, you'd better keep your eye on the nuts and bolts. I've already rattled quite a few out including motor mounts.

Sorry to hear about your friends get-off. That sucks. The bike is demolished and he is lucky!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your friend looks like he was very lucky compared to how the bike looks. Was he wearing jeans? How fast was he going? This is why I always wear my jacket you never know when you are going to go down. I hope this incident does not discourage him from riding, I'm sure he has learned from it and now is a better rider. Wish him a quick recovery :)

BTW How did the footpeg fall off?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He IS very lucky. He was wearing a button up shortsleeve shirt, jeans, Alpinestar SMX boots, Shoei X-tec helmet, and Frank Thomas Talon-Race gloves. He face planted so hard he broke the chin gaurd of the helmet, then flipped a couple of times, then put his hands down, and slid the rest of the way on his hands. The gloves held up VERY well. They could be used again, in a pinch. They didn't wear through anywhere. The jeans are a total loss. The boots fared pretty well. The left toe is worn on the front, but not through. He is convinced that he would have broken the toes of his right foot without the boots. As it is, they are bruised and sore. He thinks he was going about 75 when he crashed... the bike flew a LONG damn way. Whats really interesting is as it left the road, it went over an embankment, sending it airborne. The witness said it went 9 feet in the air. The dirt is not disturbed from the embankment to just a few feet from where it came to a stop..... almost 45 Yards.....

Neither engine case was touched, so I think that when the tires caught, it stood the bike up, and it was rolling at 75 with no rider when it jumped the berm.

The footpeg is undamaged, and so is the rearset plate (stock). It appears to have just vibrated off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lets not jump to a rash conclusion on the BLUE.

Yes I agree that this person has had some bad problems with his R1, but I have owned mine for a year and a half and had only one problem. My voltage regulator went out just about the time my warrenty ended. But Yamaha replaced the part at no charge to me. I think we should not look at the blue as the problem as much as we should look at the dealership that supplied him with both of these bikes. I went to Champion Honda/Yamaha and have had good support and service when I go back. The only thing I was upset about is that I got charged for the assembly and crating/uncrating which Yamaha already paid for. I didn't know this at the time and now I do. So the next time I will make a better deal. My point is that Yamaha didn't charge me for it the dealership did. So I will stick with the Blue and just work on finding a better more honest dealership.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If the subframe bolts and fork sheared as a result of the crash, which I suspect they did because you said he crashed because his footpeg busted, then it really has nothing to do with the cause.

BTW, all the new supersports are designed to be lighter, lighter, lighter. Seeing the subframes on some of these bikes makes me cringe. I wouldn't let a small child ride on the back let alone a light adult. They put pegs on the rear, but IMO they shouldn't. Snapping footpegs aren't a surprise to me either, especially if someone stands up and their foot is on the very end, high torque = snap. Or coming down from wheelies, etc. The first time I saw the new R1 I though "Jesus, that think look frail." I think I was right.

I hope your buddy heals up quick.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just curious on what the hell he was doing that a footpeg falling off cause that much of a catastrophe.......also If the footpeg just fell off would blame the dealer not yamaha all that stuff was supposedly checked on pdi.
either way I am glad he is ok and hope he heals fast.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I'm with the above post, WTF was he doing without a jacket on that caused that much damage when a peg came off????

Must be more to the story and I wouldn't blame Yamaha that the peg came off. It didn't happen so quickly that a responsible rider couldn't have caught it.

Hell, even the MSF teaches a pre ride check that should catch this kind of shite.

Sounds like he's just looking for someone to foot the bill for his mistake.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
apexismaximus said:
I'm with the above post, WTF was he doing without a jacket on that caused that much damage when a peg came off????

Must be more to the story and I wouldn't blame Yamaha that the peg came off. It didn't happen so quickly that a responsible rider couldn't have caught it.

Hell, even the MSF teaches a pre ride check that should catch this kind of shite.

Sounds like he's just looking for someone to foot the bill for his mistake.
I hear ya' and my pre-ride and maintenance thoroughness, to the point of some criticizing me, have made failures of any sort on my bikes highly unlikely. Even at the higher mileage I run my bikes to, they always run and feel like new. It also makes the case for NEVER riding without your gear, BUT... some things, especially that basic, are inexcusable even with gross neglect. Somebody screwed up big time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What kind of stunt was your friend doing?

It sucks that that happened because or the footpeg if he was normally riding, but I don't see how it could have. If your footpeg falls off hold your leg up and come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm with Jay P here - unless you're stunting and actually STANDING on the peg, how the hell is a little thing like a peg coming off meant to cause you to come off????
And I agree with Dad here - if he was stunting, surely that would be the time when your gear is most important?

The damage on the bike does not look consistant with a 75mph slide - it looks quite a bit faster.

Glad to see that your friend only recieve minor injuries however :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts