Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and 3 friends went on a ride yesterday evening, left at about 7:45. About 15 minutes into the ride, the rider behind me went wide around a right hand turn and struck a full-size pickup. He was barely conscious while we waited for the squad to arrive. They weren't able to save him.

Not sure yet what happened medically, but I have very little doubt that his internals were seriously messed up. He was wearing a helmet and the front part was disintegrated, though the main shell held up pretty good. His collarbone was visibly broken, and he had a lot of road rash due to not having a jacket/gloves.

The driver of the truck was not injured, and from what I and the other riders saw, was not at fault whatsoever.

I just want to post this to remind everybody to keep your head screwed on tight when you hit the twisties. Don't push yourself beyond your capabilities, and know when to back off.

Sorry for the grim post.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Mate, thank you for being strong enough to talk about this already. Such a poignant reminder for everyone. Sorry you had to go through such a terrible experience.

Stay safe everyone.

RIP

·
Registered
307 Posts
Its so tough reading posts like this. Seeing your buddy go down is the absolute, absolute worst feeling in the world, even worse than going down yourself.

Fuck, almost the exact same thing happened to me two months ago also in a right corner during a group ride except there wasn't a truck coming the opposite direction. It took a few days to realize how lucky I was to get out with only a few scratches.

Everyone out there has to ride at a comfortable pace no matter what. I feel better knowing the people I ride with go at their own level and I bet most everyone would agree. When I lead a ride with slower people I usually get a 60 second speed fix then slow down and lead a comfortable pace, which is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy, man. RIP

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Sorry to hear about the experience snake. It is tough to read these but they certainly have good community value :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we got the news yesterday that he tore his aorta and basically bled out from the inside. I can't describe how bad I feel for him and his family. But it happened, nothing we can do now.

I rode down to where it happened today, a kind of "face your fear" thing I guess. I stopped and sat where we put up a couple crosses for him. One of the EMT's that was at the scene happened to drive by and he stopped and talked to me for a while. It really impressed me. There's a lot of good people out there.

Anyways, I'm not trying to post up a sob story or anything like that. I appreciate the feedback and I just hope that some people will take a look at this and think twice before they dive in over their heads.

Enough of my rambling on. Stay safe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i cant imagine how hard it was to watch, wait, and pray through that situation and it end in such a tragic way. It definitely is admirable that you can post about it already to make a serious point. RIP

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
snakesht, that is such horribly tragic news. Sorry for the loss of your good friend and please pass along best wishes and condolences to his bereaved family. Wow, what a truly powerful message for everyone to keep their wits together while aboard two wheels.

·
Registered
892 Posts
i always hope its just a revisit to an old post when i see these. R.I.P. so sorry for your loss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts